M1917 Gasmask

Fritz

Picked this up yesterday, real nice 1918 dated GI gasmask, still has the razor and material stapled in the packet inside for repairs and also has the antifog can with the stuff in it, the mask and hose are completely pliable and not stiff like 99% of them are, this is the first time I've seen one like this before.

Fritz

post-4127-1254349214.jpg

That is a rare beast indeed! For every pliable one you find, there are probably 100 that are attic fried, with cracked/missing lenses, and the like. Good find!

John

I have one that's unused, but still fairly stiff- Fritz, you got the goods!! :thumbsup: :w00t:

Truly amazing!!!!!

Thanks guys! This is the nicest I've ever seen, evryone is totally stiff. The only bummer with it is the balloon thing is missing(not sure what you call it) but it looks like it was never there at all other than that it's as close to mint as your going to find.

Fritz

Yes, it's called the flutter valve as mentioned in period sources. Here's one still attached to a mask I sold a few months ago. I was amazed that even the flutter valve is still pliable!

post-599-1255366000.jpg

the original owner must have stored it sealed inside a trunk in a cool dry environment for it to remain in such well preserved condition.

:thumbsup:

the original owner must have stored it sealed inside a trunk in a cool dry environment for it to remain in such well preserved condition.

:thumbsup:

Correct! Rubber is inherently quite vulnerable to ultraviolet and ozone. Sealed away is the best protection for these. You also want to be mindful of the electronic air cleaners that many of us use to scrub the air in our homes. Many of these units produce a fair amount of ozone, which is bad news for your collection if it contains items like gas masks.

And John - by the way, "attic-fried" is an AGM tradmark catchphrase. Please add the royalty fee of 5 cents to your next order. :wink2:

Yes, it's called the flutter valve as mentioned in period sources. Here's one still attached to a mask I sold a few months ago. I was amazed that even the flutter valve is still pliable!

Yep, thats the only thing not on mine and looks like it never was dosn't look like and cement/glue was ever applied to it.

Fritz

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.