USN Corpsman, Northern Solomons. Late '43

Corpsmancollector

Owen,

A. I haven't dissed anyone

B. Who is this "Paul" I allegedly dissed?

C. I complimented Will on his poses. They are very similar to poses in Field Manuals.

D. Not all of Will's ("Paul's ?") gear is WW2. In a previous post, he states the medical bag is a Harlan Glenn repro.

E. I'm not a reenactor so I can't give you an "impression". I've been a WW2 historian and militaria collector for over 40 years.

F. In that vein, I've looked at thousands of photos and haven't seen any Marine or Corpsman wearing a bolo knife like Jeff does

in the first photo of the post. Don't you think it would be rather hard to run with a bolo hanging like that?

G. I'm glad we can agree to disagree, that's what it's all about.

Take care.

Tom

giconceptsjw

Firstly, I have to say I’m flattered Will chose to base his uniform on one of the pics from my book. Good job Will.

Thanks Owen for sticking up for me and the work I published in the US Navy books. You’re right, I’m not afraid to admit errors or mistakes in the books and I’ve often pointed them out myself before anyone else even noticed them.

I’m not sure I get the “too Hollywood” comment. Let’s put the “too Hollywood” comment into context; I published 6 books that contain over 5,000 photos collectively. Do you really think it would have been an improvement to pose every model wearing every uniform in a straight front, side & back shot, field manual style? Personally, I thought it changed it up a bit and added a little variety to show the models posed in slightly different or realistic candid poses rather than the same pose 5,000 times. Also, if you look at the field gear section of “Sailors in Forest Green” there are plenty of poses showing field equipment in front, back & rear shots copied directly from the USMC manual. Volume #4 shows similar field manual poses as well. I think Will did a good job but how many original WWII combat photos show captured Japanese flags hanging from Marine equipment belts? You see Marines posing for photos with captured flags but I’ve yet to see soldiers or Marines fighting in the jungle with meatball flags draped from their belts. It kinda seems too Hollywood to me so I didn’t pose any of my shots like that. ;)

There is one thing some people need to get in their heads; Uniforms were not always properly worn by sailors in WWII. They wore their hats on the back of their heads, they wore uniforms that were not pressed or creased properly or not pressed at all and they wore non regulation insignia or proper insignia in an improper manner. Sorry, that’s the way it was and I showed it in my books that way. I also pointed this out when possible. If you read the captions, they will indicate things like, “…note the non-regulation insignia, insignia worn on the wrong sleeve, incorrectly worn neckerchief”, etc., etc. If you spot an error or outright mistake in any of my books, great, point it out to me, I’d like to see it. However, please don’t say a uniform is improper in a photo describing a uniform that is worn improperly as it was during WWII.

Thanks to everyone who owns & enjoys the US Navy books!

Jeff Warner

Corpsmancollector
Firstly, I have to say I’m flattered Will chose to base his uniform on one of the pics from my book. Good job Will.

Thanks Owen for sticking up for me and the work I published in the US Navy books. You’re right, I’m not afraid to admit errors or mistakes in the books and I’ve often pointed them out myself before anyone else even noticed them.

I’m not sure I get the “too Hollywood” comment. Let’s put the “too Hollywood” comment into context; I published 6 books that contain over 5,000 photos collectively. Do you really think it would have been an improvement to pose every model wearing every uniform in a straight front, side & back shot, field manual style? Personally, I thought it changed it up a bit and added a little variety to show the models posed in slightly different or realistic candid poses rather than the same pose 5,000 times. Also, if you look at the field gear section of “Sailors in Forest Green” there are plenty of poses showing field equipment in front, back & rear shots copied directly from the USMC manual. Volume #4 shows similar field manual poses as well. I think Will did a good job but how many original WWII combat photos show captured Japanese flags hanging from Marine equipment belts? You see Marines posing for photos with captured flags but I’ve yet to see soldiers or Marines fighting in the jungle with meatball flags draped from their belts. It kinda seems too Hollywood to me so I didn’t pose any of my shots like that. ;)

There is one thing some people need to get in their heads; Uniforms were not always properly worn by sailors in WWII. They wore their hats on the back of their heads, they wore uniforms that were not pressed or creased properly or not pressed at all and they wore non regulation insignia or proper insignia in an improper manner. Sorry, that’s the way it was and I showed it in my books that way. I also pointed this out when possible. If you read the captions, they will indicate things like, “…note the non-regulation insignia, insignia worn on the wrong sleeve, incorrectly worn neckerchief”, etc., etc. If you spot an error or outright mistake in any of my books, great, point it out to me, I’d like to see it. However, please don’t say a uniform is improper in a photo describing a uniform that is worn improperly as it was during WWII.

Thanks to everyone who owns & enjoys the US Navy books!

Jeff Warner

Jeff, hello! This is a pleasant surprise. I had no idea you were a forum member! :)

I'd like to express most sincere thanks to you for writing the US Navy series, it's by far one of the best WWII references I own (and I aint just sayin' that!).

Thanks for the comments on my impression also, it was by no means my best, just a throw together really! I put the Japanese flag on there as a token gesture, I agree in that I have not yet seen any marines or navy personnel with flags slung from their equipment. In my area of the UK not too many people recognize a marine uniform or have any idea what conflict/theatre the uniform was worn in, so the flag acts as a little clue!

Thanks for all the comments anyway guys and a massive thanks to Jeff for the inspiration! Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Will

Corpsmancollector
Hey Will, nice impression!! Got to love the ol' HBT "frog skins".

Thanks Brandon! Yeah got to love marine camo. I've just picked up my first original camo jacket; a nice worn P44 of early design. You've got some great gear yourself, I loved your Guadalcanal display! :thumbsup:

Will

giconceptsjw

Hey Will,

I wasn’t aware you are in England. Congrats on having an interest in the U.S. Navy & USMC. You may also know Jim Moran. I believe he lives in Kent. Jim wrote one of the first serious collector books on USMC back in 1991. His book is out of print now but it’s still one of the best. I first met Jim when I went to Tarawa for the 50th anniversary back in 1993. Jim has a really fantastic collection of 1910-1945 USMC stuff. We’re friends and he’s visited me here in California a few times so if you don’t know him personally but would like to be in touch with him, I’ll introduce you.

No worries about the criticism. I’ve learned not to take anything (especially myself) very seriously. I’ve also learned that I don’t know everything about anything and I learn new things every day. The best experts on any subject are the ones who never stop learning.

Good luck and have fun. Thanks again for all of your compliments.

Jeff Warner

Corpsmancollector
Hey Will,

I wasn’t aware you are in England. Congrats on having an interest in the U.S. Navy & USMC. You may also know Jim Moran. I believe he lives in Kent. Jim wrote one of the first serious collector books on USMC back in 1991. His book is out of print now but it’s still one of the best. I first met Jim when I went to Tarawa for the 50th anniversary back in 1993. Jim has a really fantastic collection of 1910-1945 USMC stuff. We’re friends and he’s visited me here in California a few times so if you don’t know him personally but would like to be in touch with him, I’ll introduce you.

No worries about the criticism. I’ve learned not to take anything (especially myself) very seriously. I’ve also learned that I don’t know everything about anything and I learn new things every day. The best experts on any subject are the ones who never stop learning.

Good luck and have fun. Thanks again for all of your compliments.

Jeff Warner

Hi Jeff,

Just sent you a message :)

Thanks,

Will

• 2 months later...

Great Corpsman impression! I'm looking to build one up as well. My grandpa was one in the war so I thought it would be cool to do one. Can you use the fisrt type of medic bag? I mean the one with the Red cross and "U.S.N." on the side for an early war impression?

Sam

Corpsmancollector
Great Corpsman impression! I'm looking to build one up as well. My grandpa was one in the war so I thought it would be cool to do one. Can you use the fisrt type of medic bag? I mean the one with the Red cross and "U.S.N." on the side for an early war impression?

Sam

Thanks for the kind words Sam! That's great, do you know what unit/where your grandpa served? You can absolutely use the earlier bag, the technical term is 'Case, Canvas, carrying, 14-820'. Many call it a 'Unit 1'.

Some good examples can be found here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=635&st=0

Mine are the ones towards the end. If you need any help with putting together an impression, feel free to shoot me a pm.

All the best,

Will

Thanks for the kind words Sam! That's great, do you know what unit/where your grandpa served? You can absolutely use the earlier bag, the technical term is 'Case, Canvas, carrying, 14-820'. Many call it a 'Unit 1'.

Some good examples can be found here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=635&st=0

Mine are the ones towards the end. If you need any help with putting together an impression, feel free to shoot me a pm.

All the best,

Will

Thanks Will! No clue... I don't think he saw combat as he joined later on in 1945 but he would have deployed for the assault on Japan itself if the bombs were not dropped. All I have of his is his rank patch. My uncle has his uniform and I am seeing my uncle for Christmas so I'll see if I can see what his unit was.

If you could answer one of my posts that would be great. It just asks for the list of things a corpsman would have.

Sam