USN Corpsman, Northern Solomons. Late '43

Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector

Hey all,

I did an event at an old steam railway last weekend and kitted myself out as a USN corpsman operating in the Northern Solomons in late 1943. The impression was based loosely on a reconstruction featured in 'Sailors in Forest Green' by Jeff Warner (Pictured featured below)

The gear used was both original and reproduction. My impressions' kinda suck sometimes, as I leave most the good stuff back home! Over the last decade I've seen myself as more of a collector as opposed to a re-enactor, so for events I just use the gear I don't mind getting dirty!

Constructive criticism is more than welcome, just thought I'd share a few photos.

Will

Jeff Warners' reconstruction:

post-5339-1254249920.jpg

Hope he wouldn't mind me using this pic!

Corpsmancollector

Here's the last one:

post-5339-1254250123.jpg

Apologies for the chinstrap round the back of the M1, it had been hanging down most the day and was getting a bit annoying as it hit me in the face numerous times when I turned too quickly! (You'd think I'd learn...)

Anyway, I hope there's not too many mistakes! Enjoy.

Corpsmancollector

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I'm glad you liked my USMC impression Jerry ;) Hope to see you next year at Beltering.

I thought a war trophy couldnt hurt OD MAN, makes it look a little more 'authentic' I think.

Thanks again everyone.

Will

Corpsmancollector
Top-notch set-up, Will...great stuff you've got there; thanks for posting!

Love that Medical Bag :w00t:

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the nice comment! The medical bag is one of Harlen Glenn's repros (TTO-USMC) that I picked up cheap. I just posted 3 originals in the reference section! :thumbsup:

Hope you're well buddy.

Will

I'm glad you liked my USMC impression Jerry ;) Hope to see you next year at Beltering.

Yeahhh...I missed this year:( but in next I have to go there again with my USN aviation imppersion!

Regards,

JK

Very, very nice Will! Looks good...you should post some more b/w photos, seems to add just that more to the touch of authenticity. Great impression though! :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector
Yeahhh...I missed this year:( but in next I have to go there again with my USN aviation imppersion!

Regards,

JK

You missed a lot of high prices Jerry! And some good displays ;) Be good to meet you next year. Thanks for your comment Brian, I'll have to get some more B&W for next time!

Thanks guys,

Will

Tom

I would like to see your impression of anything WW2 that comes even close to anything Jeff Warner did in any of his 6 packed books .

Hollywood ,

Give me a break why would you write something like that ????

This is a great impression by the way .

Well done on it Sir

owen

kammoman

Owen,

After reviewing the pictures again, I stand by my comment. Will's photos look like they could have been posed for a period FM. Jeff's still looks "Hollywood" to me. My opinion in no way detracts from Jeff's books which are EXCELLENT and among the best researched that I own. I highly recommend his set to anyone interested in USN/USMC uniforms and gear; expensive but worth every cent!

Tom

Tom ,

Well we have to agree to disagree .

Jeff goes the extra mile to pose each and every picture to the best of his ability .

Calling Pauls pose Hollywood is a diss .

Paul looks like a real Corps man with everything just right from his head to his toes , including his dirty face .

All his gear is WW2 , right down to the haircut !!!

If this is you Hollywood ....then Hollywood is correct in every way .

If you review posed pictures from the 1940s they always have a classic posed theme to them .

I believe this is the spirit that Jeff has hoped to create , and has achieved in every way .

Lets see one of your impressions to compair ?

I would be intrested to see your standards .

owen

Tom ,

Well we have to agree to disagree .

Jeff goes the extra mile to pose each and every picture to the best of his ability .

Calling Pauls pose Hollywood is a diss .

Paul looks like a real Corps man with everything just right from his head to his toes , including his dirty face .

All his gear is WW2 , right down to the haircut !!!

If this is you Hollywood ....then Hollywood is correct in every way .

If you review posed pictures from the 1940s they always have a classic posed theme to them .

I believe this is the spirit that Jeff has hoped to create , and has achieved in every way .

Lets see one of your impressions to compair ?

I would be intrested to see your standards .

owen

First, I have all six volumes of Jeffs books, love them and refer to them often. I can not speak to any Marine/"Green" impressions as I don't have any real interest in them. However, many of Jeffs posed photos of Naval uniforms show them incorrectly worn. This is mostly with uniforms pressed right side out, of enlisted trousers with creases down the fromt. There are also photos with necker chiefs rolled inside out. There are also insignia inaccuracies.

Steve Hesson