Red stripes-WW1

Doughboy1918

Those are wound stripes for a man who was wounded twice. There was no Purple heart in WWI, just the wound stripes. drmessimer

Wound stripes were not red. I believe they are Pre WW1 as stated earlier here.

Those are wound stripes for a man who was wounded twice. There was no Purple heart in WWI, just the wound stripes. drmessimer

These are not wound stripes. World War wound chevrons are gold and worn on the right sleeve, 1 gold chevron worn for each wound. Overseas chevrons are worn on the left sleeve and are: 1 gold chevron for each 6 month period, and for a period less than 6 months in the theater of operations 1 blue chevron. The regulations are explicit that combinations of blue and gold chevrons were not to be worn, but they can be occasionally seen worn mixed. Rarely, half chevrons are also worn to indicate some period in the theater of operations "less than 6 months."

Silver "War Service Chevrons" were commonly worn by military personnel who served outside of the theater of operations (Stateside, Panama Canal Zone, Philippines, Hawaii, etc). These silver War Service Chevrons are frequently referenced in unofficial period publications but I have never found an official regulation authorizing their wear. Despite this, they are fairly common on WW1 era uniforms.

Here is a link to the appropriate regulation (G.O. 110) for WW1 service stripes:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...service+chevron

Here is another thread on WW1 service and discharge chevrons:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...scharge+chevron

These are either a pair of WW1 discharge chevrons that were never cut apart (they were often issued from rolls and cut apart as needed) or as was stated, they are 1902 Chevrons for a Corporal of Artillery. To add to the confusion, some WW1 discharge chevrons were made out of surplus M1902 chevrons.

Chris

Salvage Sailor

When I first saw these posted, I also thought they are 1902 Artillery chevrons.

Here are some Corporal chevrons I have on the light Khaki background fabric

Red_Corporal.jpg

Yes, I believe they are 1902-pattern stripes too. I was looking through my S&S Firearms catalog last night and saw them there listed as artillery chevrons. Shame on me! I reenact Civil War artillery as a corporal myself and I didn't even think along branch-of-service lines! I guess I was thinking WW1.

Notice that these Corporals chevrons are tapered toward the top, and the stripes themselves form a shallow arc. This is typical of post 1902 rank cehrvons. All the WWI discharge, wound and overseas service chevrons are made with the stripes formed without this elongation. They are straight.

These are post 1902 artillery chevrons as stated.