GAR Cap Badge Variation?

SARGE

I picked up an interesting GAR badge at the KC Military Show yesterday. It is an entwined GAR cypher about the size of a standard GAR cap insignia. I presume it to be a variation cap badge.

GAR_insig_close.JPG

Reverse view showing the back of the badge. It is a hollow brass stamping that is lead filled. It has (had) prongs on the back but only one remains.

GAR_insig_back_prongs.JPG

Finally, here is a view of the insignia shown next to a standard GAR cap insignia with GAR within a wreath. The size seems comparable.

GAR_insig.JPG

It is always nice to find something at a show that you have never seen before. :D

This cypher style is so indicative of the 1880's & 90's. I have always had an interest in GAR and UCV items, and quite honestly, I don't ever recall seeing one of these on a hat. But that means nothing. As far as I can tell, it looks like a variation of the standard GAR hat badge. I can't think of anything else that this could be used for. They didn't really use cartridge boxes, so a ceromonial cartridge box cartouche would be inplausable. I think that the official verdict is - "Hmmmmmmm".....

Chris

Chris,

I am sort of like you, I don't know what else it could be either. I had not thought about a cartridge box case cypher but it does have a similar feel with the lead filled back. It is an odd piece but rather neat.