A WW2 ribbon bar with metal wire OLC & stars

Tom Nier

This WW2 Air Corps ribbon bar remains a mystery to me. Hopefully the Forum members can shed light on its origin. This ribbon bar was the first one is a progressive set of four ribbon bar groups, all found in a box at a San Antonio gun show. The fourth group of two 3-place ribbon bars showed the aviator received two OLCs on his Air Medal, three stars on his EAME, and a DFC. So I conclude he first served in the Pacific, and was transferred to the ETO. Air Force assets sent in for the defense of Alaska & Hawaii would have been unnecessary as the war progressed toward the invasions of Europe.

Only this first ribbon bar was foreign made, since its 3 ribbons have unbound edges and different stripe widths compared to US made ribbons of WW2 stock. What mystifies me is the OLC and two stars fashioned with spiralled metal wire of a bronze color. Would this ribbon bar have been made up in Australia, England, or possibly liberated France?? I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas from the Forum. I'd also like to hear about other examples of these metal wire devices. Tom Nier

post-7834-1254105733.jpg

post-7834-1254105747.jpg

• 1 year later...

This looks very similar to one of my father's ribbon bars. His had an AM, ACM & APCM. The APCM had metal stars but the AM had the same OLC. His was made in Calcutta, India.

Your guy could have been in the 9th Bomb Sq/7th Bomb group. This squadron was sent from India to Egypt with Gen Brereton to aid the British and became part of the Desert Air Force for a while. I don't recall at the moment how many European campaign stars the 9th earned. It's possible your guy stayed in the Middle East with Gen Brereton when the 9th AF was activated. or returned with the 9th BS to the CBI.

Jim

This looks very similar to one of my father's ribbon bars. His had an AM, ACM & APCM. The APCM had metal stars but the AM had the same OLC. His was made in Calcutta, India.

Your guy could have been in the 9th Bomb Sq/7th Bomb group. This squadron was sent from India to Egypt with Gen Brereton to aid the British and became part of the Desert Air Force for a while. I don't recall at the moment how many European campaign stars the 9th earned. It's possible your guy stayed in the Middle East with Gen Brereton when the 9th AF was activated. or returned with the 9th BS to the CBI.

Jim

CIB style.

BR, Ricardo.

Tom

Im thinking more of Italian made.Have seen the style of pin on 34th Division and 88th Division ribbon bars.

Hard to say could even be English.

RD