cleaning Ike Jacket

SA1794

Do remove all detachable insignia, noting the proper location. Digital photos are easy to do. If patches are loose, consider tacking them down securely, or ask them to turn it inside out when cleaning. DO NOT have them press in heavy creases and this may damage the material.

G

All good suggestions.If it is not really dirty or stained a hang it out in on the close line and air it out.You can also use a clothing brush and it will take off most light dirt or lint.

RON

If I remember correctly there are a couple of good threads on this subject here on the forum. Just do a search and you should be able to find them. Myself, I have a small handheld steam cleaner which I use on most of my uniforms. Just take the insignia off, and them use the steamer. You would be amazed at the results, not only does it press the uniform, but it also takes most of the smell out. WWII jackets are extremely durable so don't worry, you won't harm it at all. If any smell remains then you can use a little febreeze on it and that does wonders.

Do remove all detachable insignia, noting the proper location. Digital photos are easy to do. If patches are loose, consider tacking them down securely, or ask them to turn it inside out when cleaning. DO NOT have them press in heavy creases and this may damage the material.

G

Gil hit it on the head....take off any metal insignia and ribbons that you can.....and put them back in the exact same spot after it is dry cleaned.

Dry cleaning was my dad's business for 50 years. I rarely had any problems.

Correct me if I am wrong...the dry cleaners I talked to said there are a couple of different methods of dry cleaning.

One they use for fragile light clothing, something crocheted things or lace stuff.

I asked about a WW1 officers greatcoat which had experienced some moth damage. They could not guarantee the article would survive.

Airing out the item is the best first step...preferable outdoors. A good brushing with medium stiff bristle brush or with vacuum cleaner that has the brush attachment. I have used this on occasion.

The dryer idea is great...there was something advertised about a sheet you put in the dryer with the article and it cleans as well as freshens.

Cheers

G

I have found after I remove the detachable insignia that tying a thread through the holes helps out in putting the insignia back exactly where it was as the cleaning process makes it sometime hard to see where it was pinned on.

If you are really concerned that drycleaning will do additional damage, check to see where the local historical society has their collection cleaned and use them. You can also request that the item be dipped, but not tumbled or to be cleaned using the settings for delicate fabrics.

G

Correct me if I am wrong...the dry cleaners I talked to said there are a couple of different methods of dry cleaning.

One they use for fragile light clothing, something crocheted things or lace stuff.

I asked about a WW1 officers greatcoat which had experienced some moth damage. They could not guarantee the article would survive.

Airing out the item is the best first step...preferable outdoors. A good brushing with medium stiff bristle brush or with vacuum cleaner that has the brush attachment. I have used this on occasion.

The dryer idea is great...there was something advertised about a sheet you put in the dryer with the article and it cleans as well as freshens.

Cheers

Yeah - I use that dryel stuff - works pretty well.

If the only issue you have with the jacket is the musty smell, just spray it with a little Fabreeze or some other clothing approved sort of "perfume/deodorizer" type product and hang outside during the day and let it air out. My whole room starts smelling a bit like a 70 year old footlocker due to its small size and several items of clothing hanging around. I find that if I take the Fabreeze route, open the windows for a little while, then the smell is completely gone after a couple hours of just plain old airing out.

Just a thought....to kill the musty smell only.

I just cleaned three Ranger jackets that wreaked to the high heavens of cigarette smoke - the worse of any jackets I've ever owned.

I used a product pitched on WTAM 1100 AM here in Cleveland called Xorbex.

https://www.zorbx.com/newsite/odor_remover_purchase.asp

Three aplications and the smell is totally gone. Took the horrible moth ball stench out of a 101st jacket I won as well.

Can't go wrong here.

Rich