Cpl, Sgt, Cpl again..my great uncle Jack

776thamtrac

776thamtrac

For those of you who noticed my Marine Combat display from my other photos here ya go! thumbsup.gif All items in thephotos belonged to my Mom's uncle Jack. Jack was quite the character to say the least. He entered the Marine Corps in 1947 just after High School Graduation. Trained as a Rifelman he went to Japan on Occupation duty. After the start of the Korean War he deployed to Korea with the 1st Marine Division where he served in the Inchon Invasion, Capture and Securing of Seoul, Wonson-Chosin, and then finally on the outposts in 1951. You'll notice that he has one HBT Blouse with Sgt Stripes drawn on and the other with Corporal Stripes. Seems that Uncle Jack managed to make Sgt. while in combat. Probably out of the fact that there weren't many men with his time in left after Chosin. But After rotating back to Japan he enjoyed the spirits too often. He left Japan as a Corporal once again. After returning to the states Jack served as a junior DI at Pickle Meadow, Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center near Lake Tahoe. You'll also notice the very early style Marksman pin on his Greens blouse and the WWII Army issue 10 pocket Garand Belt. The only things I have changed is the liner chin strap and the roll straps. Anyway just before Jack passed away about two years ago I had returned from Iraq on leave and he gave me everything he had including the letters he and his wife wrote to and from each other as well as his diary from 1951. It includes some tales of life on the outposts but mostly covers his comming back to Japan and the states. The HBTS he wore overseas but most of the field gear was from his time at MCMWTC. Hope you guys enjoy!

Colin

post-755-1179628642.jpg

post-755-1179628654.jpg

post-755-1179628692.jpg

post-755-1179628700.jpg

duarte1223

Amazing grouping! It's always nice to have something a family member used during their time in the service. thumbsup.gif

disneydave

That bulldog image on the right side of the first photo was a Disney design. The original appeared on the cover of the July 1943 issue of Leatherneck magazine.

776thamtrac

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info. I always wondered if that was a Disney image. If you'd like to see more of that one I just put those painted sea bags in the field gear seciton. And to everyone else thanks for the comments as well. The vast majority of my collection is items from my family members. Spanning the Span Am-through my service in Aghanistan and Iraq. Those family pieces no matter how small are the real center pieces of the collection. Nothing else no matter how rare or interesting can top even the most mundane of family items. Thanks!

Colin