Desert Storm 1990

Gaz

The desert boots were a later addition. When I was in the Marines in the late 80s we wore the black boots w/ our desert uniforms. I think this is probably accurate for 1990.

Hi, i have jungle boots also, so i balanced on which i take for the pictures. I decided to take the speedlace boots.

As for the grenade vest - i havent seen pictures of marines using them in desert storm. I know they existed back then and i dont know why they didnt use them. Some say they carried 40 mike mike's in their pockets.

• 5 months later...

looks gooks, nice start. Shouldn't you have jungle boots, M16 ammo pouches or a grenade vest for your M203?

don't worry about the grenade vest most guys just left them in their alice pack, because they didn't give you any grenades until the night before ,and then just a bandoleer or at least that's all they gave us.

• 5 weeks later...

The Desert Boots were an in country issued Item that didn't appear until well into Desert Shield, Alot of units went thru Storm in Jungle and Combat boots, some units went thru in Woodland Camo.

Grenadier Vest yeah he'd have as a Grenadier whether he wore it or not would be another thing.

pwmiraldi67

A buddy of mine in 1st Force didnt get the desert boots till they were ready to redeploy back to CONUS. Not to mention, he had to steal a night desert parja from some REMF who had 3 of them, and he only had one set of choc chips, and wore mostley woodlands. again, seems like all the REMFs got the desert boots first, night desert and other cool stuff, only because they were close to supply!!

looks good, I agree black boots are acceptable!

my only critique would be 2 M-16 pouches in the front

photo of Ray Torres in hidey hole Iraq desert 1990 1st Force recon USMC

paul :)

post-2472-1271865177.jpg

Boots Worn during Desert Shield / Storm by US Marines:

Standard boots worn: Went over for Both Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Most guys wore the black leather speed lace boots or the green Jungle boots. I don't recall seeing the black jungle boots, but they were probably there as well.

Israeli Desert boots: My Reserve unit was activated and sent to Camp Lejeune, NC for a few weeks prior to going overseas. There was (and still is) a chain of about 3 or 4 surplus stores called Saigon Sams. They sold a ton of Israeli desert boots to US Marines heading to the gulf. I have seen a bunch of Marines wearing these during Desert Shield / Storm.

US issue desert boots: I saw one guy wearing a set of US Desert boots during the fighting. We were at/ near the front lines for the month long war, so we wouldn't have been in a position to get these until after the shooting stopped. Not sure on this next bit of info, but here you go...The one guy that had them "Found" them while visiting either an army unit or some other non Marine rear area. Could also be that he traded for them. My entire unit got their desert boots a week before we got on the plane to depart the desert back for the US. We were told not to wear them because we might get them dirty. We had to look pretty when we got off the plane.

Since Desert Storm:

I still have my issue desert boots. There was a later version with more padding near the top, but still had the basic styling of the Vietnam era Jungle boot. I think these came out in the mid 1990s. In early 2000s the Marine Corps came out with their own version of desert boots with EGA on the side. There are at least 3 or 4 versions of that boot. Hope that this helps

Camo Uniforms: Had chocolate chip desert camo the entire time. I think we initially received two sets. Got one additional new set for the return home. We (Marines) did not have name tapes on out camies. These came out in 1992 or 1993. Instead, we stenciled out mane on the back of our blouse (Shirt) and on the flap that covered the cargo pocket of our trousers. We did get the Night desert Parka and over trousers. The parka with liner was a great piece of gear on some very cold nights.