My first group of son in service flags!

Lynn1117

I recently made the addition of several sons in service flags to my collection. They have wear and fade, which to me is quite alright. It adds character and shows how they were used as intended. SIS flags are wonderful home front pieces, that deff. deserve to be cherished and preserved in respect for those who served. :D

019-1.jpg

Thanks for taking a gander! :thumbsup:

I recently made the addition of several sons in service flags to my collection. They have wear and fade, which to me is quite alright. It adds character and shows how they were used as intended. SIS flags are wonderful home front pieces, that deff. deserve to be cherished and preserved in respect for those who served. :D

019-1.jpg

Thanks for taking a gander! :thumbsup:

A part of war forgotten by many...to think of the anguish mothers went thru trying to cope while sometimes raising other children or having their only one in war

is heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing and keeping these memories alive...Tom

Still displayed today, but sadly, by not so many families. I believe that new ones can be purchased from the VFW. I have even seen a couple made as the magnetic stickies on cars and trucks, kinda like the ubiquious "yellow ribbons."

That's a very nice collection of period banners, though!

VFW.org Store, Blue Star Banners

The Gold Star banner is on the next page (page 3).

Tom: I deff. agree with you, what a heart ache it must have been for the families.....what a heart ache it still is. The mixed emotions of seeing someone leave and not knowing if its the last time you will.

Sgm: It is sad to see that it has faded out of tradition. You can purchase them at VFW, your deff correct on that. I still like the idea of making one by hand as they did in the past. The magnets are nice too!