Question for WWI Marine Corps collectors.

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

I recently picked up a nice little lot from the estate of a WWI Marine. Included wias this little "122" device shown below. Any idea what it was for?

williams8.jpg

williams9.jpg

Hello Andrew,

This small brass number is a company number in USMC, so the 122th company.( This company was not a part of the 4th Brigade USMC or replacement battalion USMC coming to France in WW1)

These number were affixed under the emblem on the field hat, for the Marines who cam to France in WW1 sometime you can see these number on the side of the overseas cap, for those who were keeping them after getting the British or US helmet.

I was looking for the name carved on your dog tags in the muster roll of WW1 Marines of the 4th Brigade USMC ( 2nd Division) There is a Ernest C Williams, who was a Major in the 6th Regiment, he was attached to the headquarter company of the 6th Marines, then to the 75th company of the 1st battalion, 6th Regiment USMC, he was awarded a Navy Cross, and 3 Silver Star citations in France in WW1.

They do not precise his date of enlistment, so I can't say you if its the same Marine, I will check in muster rolls.

Best Regards from Belleau Wood area France,

Hellwood

Hello again Andrew,

Just to say that I can't find him in muster rolls of the 75th company or Hdq company, does dog tags have a serial number on the back ?

Hellwood