Chaplains stole / scarf

Bob Hudson

In the past month I have found a Navy chaplain Captain's uniform, a kevlar helmet with chaplain's insignia on it and today a chaplains stole that has no label but is identical to the WWII version officially called "Scarf, Chaplains', Christian Faith, Stock No. 62-S-2505"

This is black with black fringe and wonderful embroidery. I'm sure someone can tell us how long this type was issued. I have read that by Vietnam they had one that was black on one side and white on the other.

stole1.jpg

stole2.jpg

stole3.jpg

Elsewhere on the web I found an account of a chaplain who was given a WWII stole like this one to wear in his modern day chaplaincy:

stolevintage2.jpg

stolevintage1.jpg

From what I can see, I'm pretty sure yours is WWII issue.

Google Images has two Life magazine photos, one of a Korea era chaplain and the other of a chaplain in 1963 and they both have stoles with a different type of cross and no eagle:

chapkorea1.jpg

chap631.jpg

Here's a WWII chaplains display from the Camp Roberts Historical Museum in California. You can see that the stoles are similar.

CampRobertsExhibit1.jpg

you cant rely on museums or for that Camp Roberts to get it right!!

It looks like it was made 20 years ago w/ man made poly/cotton blend :)

p

That's the grosgrain fabric which is a ribbed fabric with a low luster. It's the same technique used for the ribbons on military medals. It was popular for use in things such as stoles which had a formal look. Wikiepedia notes, "Historically grosgrain was made from wool, silk or a combination of fibers such as silk and wool or silk and mohair."

That's the grosgrain fabric which is a ribbed fabric with a low luster. It's the same technique used for the ribbons on military medals. It was popular for use in things such as stoles which had a formal look. Wikiepedia notes, "Historically grosgrain was made from wool, silk or a combination of fibers such as silk and wool or silk and mohair."

Thanks, you said it before I did.

post-1429-1253761394.jpg

post-1429-1253761199.jpg

Very nice stole.

Both the Christian and Jewish stoles made and used through Vietnam.

The black stole with just the cross was for the nylon Vietnam era kit.

The current stole only has an eagle.

It is hard to tell the difference between the periods for the black Christian stole.

Here is the Jewish stole version withe the grosgrain.

It is hard to tell the difference between the periods for the black Christian stole.

So, how long was the black stole with cross and eagle used? My understanding was that it was used from WWII until the early 50's. Is this correct?

So, how long was the black stole with cross and eagle used? My understanding was that it was used from WWII until the early 50's. Is this correct?

I think there are really two parts to this: How long was it used? And, how long was it made? I did some more digging around online and first of copied the full image the the stole with no eagle being used in Korea in 1953 and in Guantanamo Bay in 1963.

Here's Korea:

chapkorea53.jpg

And here the chaplain at Gitmo in November 1963:

chapgitmo63.jpg

Now here's a chaplain in Korea circa 1951-52 wearing the style with the eagle:

chapkorea5152.jpg

And here is one being worn in Vietnam:

chapnam101st.jpg

My question would: were they still making these into the 60's or - as was common with lots of military gear in that period - still issuing new WWII stock from the warehouses?

Clearly two different in styles were in use for a time.

By the way, in looking around the web I came across an interesting insight from a Protestant chaplain who noted that it was not his denomination's tradition to wear a stole but he found that his being readily ID'ed as a chaplain when wearing one was a real plus in many situations.

I saw some photos of the stoles with Air Force insignia on them. Does someone have photos to post of those, plus other services as well?

It would be interesting to know if there were ever any official discussions within the military/chaplain corps about the propriety of putting service seals on equal status with the cross or other icons on the stoles? My own perspective is that the ones without the seals seem much more appropriate even though, of course, they are government issue and are used for official military purposes.

I think what we see in a lot of these pictures may be a two fold answer:

1) Chaplains who remained in the military after WWII would likely have carried the older style stole with them to Korea

2) As you stated, NOS being issued even into the 60's

The cross only stole is a common style for liturgical chaplains. There are several different colors, but black was common for chaplains. This type of stole has been around since WWII and is still in use.

I will need to research when they exactly stopped making the cross/eagle stole.

Yes, the eagle/cross was NOS during Vietnam. There have been some chaplains who've worn it in OIF/OEF. :rolleyes:

Here is the old AF Christian stole.

post-1429-1253896449.jpg

Here is a pic of the new stole with just the eagle. The stole is reversible. The other side is white with a gold eagle.

The stole is with the current issue chaplain's kit.

post-1429-1254268875.jpg

• 3 years later...

With all these different photo's, this thread has almost become a resource for Chaplain's stole identifications!

Here is a pic of the new stole with just the eagle. The stole is reversible. The other side is white with a gold eagle.
The stole is with the current issue chaplain's kit.
attachicon.gifnewkit.JPG

• 4 years later...