Guadalcanal SILVER STAR MEDAL Grouping

MBMorley

Here are 4 of the ones I have . 2 have real fountain pen signatures, 2 are printed signatures.

1st one

Real Signature

010fd63063b24988f8372cd6fb17aa05a030912941.jpg

2nd one

Real Signature

0151e4f6c7a382886372ba5dab6dfc10d48c37fec0.jpg

3rd one

Printed

01a21c0fec6ddae4aa785f1af8221b12bc4d75d6bd.jpg

4th one

Printed

017c438d93a7ef31014c9778d75009e2014a07aefe_00001.jpg

None of these have red ink signtures, but that in itself does not mean the Marine one is bad. I just have never seen one with a red signature.

Kurt

As you can see here the printed ones match each other exactly. The real ones and the unknown one, all have slight variances which would lead you to believe they are not printed, or autopens.

halsey.JPG

Just to add, I believe there was also a copy of a August 1942 Guadalcanal invasion notice that was copied and sent out by Boys Town too if I remember correctly.

Kurt,

Letter from Flanagan to LeHand, FDR's secretary, and as you suspect he is asking for money--so the citation he encloses seems likely a copy made by Boys Town. Let me also say here that after comparing the Haggard v-mail to a bunch of my Dad's from N. Africa and Italy, I think that what I've got (ran across it in an antique store) is an early photocopy (or photostat) of the actual v-mail. My Dad's v-mails were on heavier paper and all have a thin crease line about 1/3 down where they were folded to be put into the little envelope. The Haggard is on lighter paper with no crease. But whoever printed it did it to the exact size of a v-mail.

post-175436-0-69823100-1514594134.jpeg

post-175436-0-66274700-1514594728.jpeg

Thanks for posting that letter! I had a feeling that Boystown re-printed those knowing they also had with other documents.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Multiple copies of citations are not unusual. I have a couple of paper intensive group with multiple copies of the same cert. One has 6 copies of his Bronze Star cert. Usually they aren't all named, but I believe multiple are in the case I mentioned

Multiple copies of citations are not unusual. I have a couple of paper intensive group with multiple copies of the same cert. One has 6 copies of his Bronze Star cert. Usually they aren't all named, but I believe multiple are in the case I mentioned

During WWII the USN / USMC generally only issued 1 Temporary and 1 Permanent citation ( Signed copies ). Additional official copies would not be signed.

Kurt

• 1 month later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

I have an exact copy of the v mail letter. I think these may have been copied and distributed by the church or as part of a bond drive during the war. I've often wondered if it were real because of the dates and locations not being redacted by mail censors