Major General William Arnold

Bugme

While this grouping is small in it's size, it does all come from a man who I see as being great in stature. Major General William Arnold was the Chief of Chaplains in WWII and also had the distinction of being the first Chaplain to attain the rank of General in U.S. military history. This mans work in getting thousands of Chaplains together during WWII is phenomenal. I have a letter confirming the items from the family describing their association with General Arnold. General Arnold received the Distinguished Service Medal for his service in WWII. He is interred at Arlington National Cemetery. The grouping includes: His officers cap badge, chaplains lapel cross and an early Generals star.

General_Arnold___Chief_of_Chaplains_WWII_002.jpg

Impressive little collection you have on General Arnold. I actually have a wartime letter signed by him that came from the files of Brigadier General Jesse Auton. When I dig it out I will scan it for you.

Robert

just-a-good-ole-boy

That grouping may be materialistically small, but is so big in so many other ways. An awesome piece of Chaplain history you have there. No doubt you will find more pieces in the future! :thumbsup:

Steve

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen! Below is an opposite direction photo of Chaplain Arnold's resting place, you can see a portion of Arlington in the background.

wrarnold_section2_042304_002.jpg

Very Nice,

I have a few items from CH Arnold too. He was one of the best war time chaplains, if not the best IMO.

Without a doubt, he was the man for the hour! I believe he had a Divine appointment to be the Chief of Chaplains and he was used mightily in that capacity.

• 10 years later...