WWII ribbon bar

WS60

CNY Militaria

The arrowhead signifies a member os an invasion, such as one in the Italy campaigns or Normandy. Stars are Battle stars for service such as serving in Central Europe, Rhineland, etc.

This ribbon bar includes Europe-Africa-Middle East Campaign Medal.

May somebody explain stars and arrow on.

The stars signify campaigns in which the wearer participated. The arrowhead indicated he made a combat landing -- such as at Normandy.

I believe only one arrowhead could be worn. I do not know how many days after the initial landing qualified for the award. D-Day for sure, but D+X? I am not sure.

Hi,

A service star, also referred to as a battle star, campaign star, or engagement star, is an attachment to a military decoration which denotes participation in military campaigns or multiple bestowals of the same award. Service stars are typically issued for campaign medals, service medals, ribbon awards, and certain military badges. Service stars are different from award stars, which are issued for multiple awards of meritorious and combat decorations.

The United States military issues bronze and silver and gold service stars, with a silver service star issued “in lieu” of five bronze.

Use as a Campaign star: For instance, six campaigns, served on a campaign medal, would be annotated by one silver and one bronze service star. In some situations (e.g., the Southwest Asia Service Medal, which is a campaign medal/ribbon), each recipient is entitled to at least one campaign star. Thus, a Southwest Asia Service Medal without at least one bronze star would be inappopriate.

Use as a Service star: For instance, three awards of a Sea Service Ribbon would be annotated by the ribbon with two bronze service stars. In some situations, service stars are only issued after the second award of a decoration.

The United States Army also occasionally issues award numerals or oak leaf clusters, instead of service stars, to denote multiple awards of certain ribbon decorations. In addition to award numerals, the United States Army uses the same Gold award star that is worn on many Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard decorations to denote the tenth and final award of the Army Sea Duty Ribbon.

Service stars issued for actions in which a United States Navy vessel participated are also placed on campaign streamers, which are affixed to the U.S. Navy flag. The regulations for this originated in 1942, which defined naval campaign areas and designated engagements. Participation in such engagements, by ships and by individuals, was then denoted by service stars. The United States Army followed a very similar practice with ground campaigns and battle engagements.

A common point of confusion is to confuse bronze and silver service stars with the Silver Star and Bronze Star Medal. The main difference between the two is that the Bronze and Silver Star Medals are individual decorations while service stars are worn on awards and are not individual decorations or medals.

Font: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:ZP3iO...;cd=1&gl=br

Best regards,

Ricardo.

The Arrowhead device is a decoration of the United States Army which is issued as an attachment to certain service medals. The Arrowhead device is awarded to any service member who participates in an amphibious assault, a combat parachute drop, a helicopter assault landing, or a combat glider attack.

The arrowhead device is a one time decoration for each service medal and no more than one arrowhead device may be authorized per service medal. As of 2004, the service medals which are authorized the arrowhead device are as follows:

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal

Korean Service Medal

Vietnam Service Medal

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal

Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal

Afghanistan Campaign Medal

Iraq Campaign Medal

In almost all cases, the arrowhead device is issued with a corresponding campaign service star, which denotes the campaign in which the assault landing was accomplished.

Font: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowhead_device

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Obs>

The arrowhead is a bronze replica of an Indian arrowhead 1/4 inch (.64cm) high and Only one arrowhead will be worn on any ribbon.

Ricardo.

The stars signify campaigns in which the wearer participated. The arrowhead indicated he made a combat landing -- such as at Normandy.

I believe only one arrowhead could be worn. I do not know how many days after the initial landing qualified for the award. D-Day for sure, but D+X? I am not sure.

My father landed on Normandy D-Day + 1 and did not receive an arrowhead. So I think after the beach head is secured that negates the Arrowhead qualification.

4STARCHRIS

post-387-1179534969.jpg

This is a very rare and original ribbon bar from a uniform I have. Note the EAME ribbon with double arrowheads. This is documented original. This individual was a four star general. Guess who?

Thanks for looking and sharing.

post-387-1179534969.jpg

This is a very rare and original ribbon bar from a uniform I have. Note the EAME ribbon with double arrowheads. This is documented original. This individual was a four star general. Guess who?

Thanks for looking and sharing.

George S Patton

4STARCHRIS
Hi Chris,

Yes???? w00t.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Ricardo,

Thanks my Brazilian friend. You are also correct.

General George Patton's ribbon bar. thumbsup.gif

4STARCHRIS
@ 4starchris, How in the world did you found that nice ribbonbar w00t.gif

It is attached to his uniform. This is the uniform of General George Patton.

4starchris

Let me refrase my question then :lol:

How did you manage to find such a magnificant uniform of General Patton?

PS: Can you show some pictures of the complete uniform.

Sebas

Ricardo,

Thanks my Brazilian friend. You are also correct.

General George Patton's ribbon bar. thumbsup.gif

WOOOOW!!!!!!! w00t.gif

Againg x 10 = GREAT COLLECTION!!!

I am very happy to have chances to see it and for knowing that this in excellent hands!

Best regards from one Friend in Brazil,

Ricardo.

post-387-1179534969.jpg

Excellent!

I'm surprised that the Silver Lifesaving Medal doesn't go at least above the PH, especially in that era.