"Pawn Stars"

Stony

We watched one of the shows from the 2nd season and watched a young couple that said they bought a camera from a yard sale for $25. They sold it to the pawn shop for $125 I think.

If I was going to do - as they did - buy a Bolex for resale, $125 is about the most I'd pay (I have sold and appraised Bolex cameras). I see that one is up to $380 now on Ebay, which is a good prices these days (the advent of inexpensive HD video cameras has severely impacted 16mm film camera prices).

Pawn Stars teaches us that reality TV is not reality. The mere presence of a TV camera in a room changes what goes on, and when you need to shape things for a forumulaic TV show it gets even further from reality. It is a fun show to watch and I have to give them credit for letting people know, again and again, that seldom can they sell their treasure for full value: a retailer or an auction house is usually going to come between them and a buyer willing to pay full value.

Another thing that a lot of militaria collectors could learn from watching this show........ask people where they got the item!

I know that the pawn shop does it as a matter of law to try to avoid getting stolen items, but how many groups could be ID'd if collectors simply asked for documentation from the original source.

• 2 months later...

Yuk, yuk, just found this thread.... :lol:

I live in The Vegas, and on weekends I drive down the boulevard and hit up all the pawn and junk shops near where this place is located. All I can say about this place is that it just serves to jam up traffic ever since Pawn Stars aired. Before that all you ever saw that side of town was rats and crackheads running around!! EVERYTHING in their shop is overpriced, just cuz they're on the picture tube. I wonder how much they'd give me for MacArthur's visor cap, or Eva Braun's underwear :lol: :lol: It's got rock solid provenance, appraised by Charlie Snyder himself!!!

Dirt Detective
I wonder how much they'd give me for MacArthur's visor cap, or Eva Braun's underwear :lol: :lol: It's got rock solid provenance, appraised by Charlie Snyder himself!!!

LOL..Now thats funny. :) Snydster :blink::lol:

I know 2 people that were approached to rent items for the show. One accepted the offer and was featured in the first season with US militaria piece that was shot and was paid and given lunch and returned home with the piece. The second wanted a friends vehicle which he said F U to them. The show is fake in the most part

I know people on the show. Everything is scripted from start to finish. Even what is brought in.

Not disputing your claim, but what are your sources?

Even if it is so, someone on here posted a link to one of their ebay auctions.....so some things they definately buy and resell.....

...and it is good entertainment. The show works.....it's a variation on Antiques Roadshow at its core.

Salvage Sailor

Just a sidebar,

Richard Harrison, the 'old man', is a member of NAFTS - the National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors. We held our 2009 meeting in Las Vegas. Among his other USN career assignments, he was a crewman on the USS CHOWANAOC (ATF-100). Interesting fella in real life.

Photo: Richard Harrison & ATF-100 shipmate Rodger Dana at NAFTS cocktail party, 11/09

from Winter 2009 edition of NAFTS Towline Magazine

WinterTowline2010.jpg

Last night while watching the show, the pan away from the "old man's" desk and you can see a picture of him in his Navy uniform hanging on the wall.

As for the show, it is entertaining, but I like the new show "American Pickers" much better.