Marine EGA Collar Insignia, Made in England

Brig

I have a piece like this in my collection, I'm looking for an era? I've heard 1920s-30s, and perhaps a Model 1937. Notice the thin, pointed wings of the eagle and the bulbous globe. Marked 'Made in England'

EgaEmEngland.jpg

finally, some progress. so the enlisted collar EGAs were designed a year after the M1920 cover ones, similar to the officer pieces for 36 and 37?

Brig..is this EGA made by Gaunt of London.....if so i beleive that these were made for the Embassy Guard Marines in London

Regards

Lloyd

Since it was made in England I would guess it was not made to specs so it would not be a Model anything but I would guess, like you said it is from the 1920s or 30s. I never could figure out why they were made in England, while they are not common there are quite a few around. It dose not seem like it would be profitable to make them in England and ship them to the States and compete with the ones made here and the only Marines in England were embassy guards and advisors so it dose not seem like there would be much of a market there either. Just one of the great mysteries of collecting I guess.

Hi QED4...just to muddy the waters a bit more there were more marines in England than first thought.

Dont forget we not only had Embasy guards but Shipboard marines,USMC observers and also USMC trainee Night Fighter pilots i personally know of 2 USAAF/RAF airfields that had USMC/USN night fighter pilot trainees stationed at it during 1944

Regards

Lloyd

• 3 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

As all Marines know, we are fond of modifying most everything in sight including giving our uniform accessories that certain “personnel touch”. Here we have a fine example of the unmarked J.R. Gaunt emblem of post 1922 with an up-swept wing touch to the original flat wing. Must say his work did give them emblem additional character. Note the spinner; he even carved his initials. Sure wish I could mate them up at some time. Lots of examples exist, someday we need to start a post just to the topic. Brig.........? Gary..........?

1922_made_in_england_008.jpg

1922_made_in_england_005.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Not nearly as unique or hard to come by as many may initially be inclined to think, these were produced in England, most likely post 1922. These do not show any makers mark and have not seen any of this style with a mark. The character, crispness of the details and manufacture indicate these were produced by J.R. Gaunt. That Company has been producing the Marine Corps emblem for more than a century. Some current regulation emblems do carry their hallmark. It has been said they have produced for other manufactures as well, unmarked.

1922_made_in_england_009.jpg

1922_made_in_england_001.jpg

• 1 month later...
General Apathy

Shown here is a pair of EGA collar insignia still attached to the issue card, when I removed one of them to look at the rear I noticed that they were ' Made in England '. If you look on the card where the one has been removed it's possible to see the outline of where the insignia has sat all these years.

I would be interested to hear your comments or thoughts on the time frame, rarity, or value of these, if you would like to pass comment as there are differences between here and in the states. thanks gentlemen.

Cheers ( Lewis )

post-376-1185273096.jpg

post-376-1185273113.jpg

Greg Robinson

So who would they have been issued to? Seems unlikely that a firm in England would manufacture these for export to the US, especially in wartime. I'm betting those were manufactured prior to the outbreak of WW2 but that's just a guess. Whatever and whenever.....they're nicely made.

teufelhunde.ret

Hi Lewis, here is a reference post for you to review regarding this set:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=4536

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=4535

You have a nice pair with good patina, for someone whom is looking to outfit a period uniform, a good bet is $75-100. For a matched set in pristine condition, maybe $125. BTW, I would not suggest holding onto the idea the unmarked card is original to the emblems think.gif . Cards for emblems are as interchangable as keyboards on computers and outlines can be made in moments... IMHO ;) . THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US. Best regards;

jeremiahcable

Nice set of EGAs there! I'm one of the people Darrell mentioned, as I have yet to get a set of those. Can you tell if the base metal is brass? Looks to be from the pictures.

Greg, those are the 1921 pattern. Along with the '26 pattern enlisted birds they represent a prolific time in English made insignia for the Marine Corps. Gaunt did a lot of business in the inter-war years as well as afterward.

Jeremiah

• 2 months later...

Would this made in England WW2 era collar EGA be considered "theater made" or does it have to have been manufactured in an occupied country?

Dennis

post-1389-1187293850.jpg

post-1389-1187293868.jpg

Would this made in England WW2 era collar EGA be considered "theater made" or does it have to have been manufactured in an occupied country?

Dennis

Nice emblem, Dennis! It actually predates WWII by a couple of decades. It's the Enlisted Model 1920 that was worn from 1920 until approximately 1930.

As for your question. Many collectors use the term "theater made" or "locally made" to describe any insignia that was made outside of the US, so yes, your emblem could certainly be described as "theater made." I usually use the term "theater made" to only describe insignia or patches that were hand made by street vendors or local artisans in countries other than the US, but even the large, professional emblem or insignia makers like JR Gaunt, London or KG Luke, Melbourne could be considered local makers.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...