USMC Paramarine and Raider patches

Doughboy1918

I have been asked to help sort and catalog a huge militaria estate. This vet had so much stuff that we filled the auctionerr's 30-foot enclosed trailer and a mini van. I will try & get some photots for a thread in "Latest Aquisitions"

I am going through patches and insignia right now and will be posting other patches with questions. Most of the common items I already know about, but I am finding some I either can't identify or don't know if they're high-doller or not.

I have here a couple Raiders patches and a Paramarine patch that I'd welcome some comments on. Are they real or fake?, etc. Thanks, Fred

post-58-1253367553.jpg

They seem to be original. The "mini-MAC" Raider has a similar grin to the "Casper" full-sized version you have posted. I'd be willing to bet they were made by the same company. That one is a little different from mine which I always thought looked a little like the missing link. ;) Here are a couple of mine for comparison. The scan leaves the blue looking a little purplish.

post-6395-1253378686.jpg

....and the backsides, I'm reasonably sure these are original and three still have the store tags from 1945. The tagged patches probably sat on the shelves because the Raider battalions were disbanded and redistributed to other units by then.

The 2nd Raider Regiment was disbanded 26 January 1944 and the 1st Raider Regiment along with the four battalions were redesignated 1 February 1944 as part of the new 4th Marine Division, which was reactivated to carry on the honors and tradition of the old 4th which was lost in the Philippines in '42.

post-6395-1253379018.jpg