WWII 396th Fighter Pilots Group "ThunderBums"

JDK

Here's a small group to Albert Larsen. P-47 Pilot with the 396th Fighter Squadron. Also known as the ThunderBums.

post-2901-0-50196400-1402943202.jpg

post-2901-0-22697800-1402943212.jpg

Larsen was on a Strafing mission in preparation for D-Day on May 20th 1944 when his engine on his P-47 froze up on him. He was forced to bail out and and was picked up by Air Sea Rescue around the Dunkirk area.
He was transported back to his squadron where he was awarded membership to the Caterpillar Club during a ceremony with other 396th pilots who were recently shot down.

Crash Reports

post-2901-0-10061400-1402943222.jpg

post-2901-0-28706500-1402943246.jpg

His Caterpillar Club Pin, and Engraving

post-2901-0-36228600-1402943262.jpg

post-2901-0-83634500-1402943271.jpg

Picture of Ceremony. Larsen is wearing his pin on his flight suit slightly visible in this photo.

post-2901-0-71404900-1402943282.jpg

post-2901-0-03379200-1402943292.jpg

Nice group! I love the caterpillar club pin.

What is interesting to note is that he was awarded a wrap brooch US Navy contract DFC medal. I have seen this in a couple cases, but it is a fairly rare occurrance.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt. I have another group to a AAF B-24 Navigator that was purchased from the family. He was also awarded a Navy style D.F.C. Forgot to mention the DFC is not named. This lot came from a coin dealer of all places. The Caterpillar Pin was the real treasure in the lot for me.

Doug,

I wasn't sure about the DUI. It was with the group, so I left it there. I was unable to ID it. I figured it wasn't his though. Not sure how he got it?

Thanks Kurt. I have another group to a AAF B-24 Navigator that was purchased from the family. He was also awarded a Navy style D.F.C. Forgot to mention the DFC is not named. This lot came from a coin dealer of all places. The Caterpillar Pin was the real treasure in the lot for me.

Doug,

I wasn't sure about the DUI. It was with the group, so I left it there. I was unable to ID it. I figured it wasn't his though. Not sure how he got it?

I just wonder if he kept the DI because it has a Caterpillar on it?

Kurt

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking maybe it was a sibling or relative that had served with the unit, and it was mixed in with his items. I spaced out the Caterpillar on the DI.

JD

Nice grouping! I take it there wasn't a catapillar pin or an embroidered catapillar sewn under breast pocket of his uniform as this is the type I've mostly seen in the past.

Based upon, and credited to, your research a Remembrance has been started for Lt Larson at this link:

http://airforce.togetherweserved.com/usaf/...n&ID=108480

It is not complete yet, and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Registration to view the profile is free to anyone who has served in uniform or is next of kin.

Eventually the profile will be linked to the Tribute Gallery of the USAF National Memorial.

Nice grouping! I take it there wasn't a catapillar pin or an embroidered catapillar sewn under breast pocket of his uniform as this is the type I've mostly seen in the past.

Hey Stony,

Different chute makers used different styles of pins. Irvin chute company issued cards and a letter along with a gold colored Caterpillar pin. Switlik issued certificates and Silver pins with Black enamel and the wording Caterpillar. Switliks pins are the ones most commonly thought of when Caterpillar pins are brought up. The company that made the chute that Larsen used only issued the pins, but engraved the recipients name on the back, and in some cases the date of jump.

Blue....nice work on the tributes!

JD

Hey Stony,

Different chute makers used different styles of pins. Irvin chute company issued cards and a letter along with a gold colored Caterpillar pin. Switlik issued certificates and Silver pins with Black enamel and the wording Caterpillar. Switliks pins are the ones most commonly thought of when Caterpillar pins are brought up. The company that made the chute that Larsen used only issued the pins, but engraved the recipients name on the back, and in some cases the date of jump.

Blue....nice work on the tributes!

JD

Thanks for the info JD. I didn't know each manufacturer had a different way of showing their product worked.

• 3 years later...

I was looking at this little group yesterday and thought I would bump this one since he went down 69 years ago today after strafing in preparation for D-Day landings.

JD

Johnny Signor

The pin you posted with the motto is not a "caterpillar" pin in the sense of the ones given to anyone who bailed out , this one is a "DI" , the normal ones given to pilot/crew that bailed was always just the body shape and the words caterpillar clud or just caterpillar , just wanted to note this for you.

Johnny

Thanks for the bump. Wasn't around to see it the first time. Amazing stuff as usual JD. Those Fighter-Bomber guys had a thankless job.

I had a chance to listen to a discussion between an 8th AF ace and a 12th AF ground attack pilot. The Ace was talking about how he'd only been hit one time in all his missions. The ground attack driver looked at him and said, "if we didn't get hit, we weren't low enough to be doing our job right."

He said it with a smile on his face but you could tell the old competition was till there. The Ace had a lot of kills. The FB guy commented that while he hadn't shot any planes down, that he'd shot some up :)

The Ace flew 51s and the ground-pounder flew Jugs. DFC and Silver Star for his work too.

History Man

Glad you bumped this JD, a great group to a very brave pilot. It is very interesting to see the USN contract DFC issued to him but as Kurt stated it was done, I would also agree on the theory of the DIs presence in the group.

Also to add, its great to see he has a FW-190 kill; Jugs werent really designed to engage in aerial combat and would usually fall victim in dogfights. One things for sure, a pilot that definitely earned his medals!

Philip

The pin you posted with the motto is not a "caterpillar" pin in the sense of the ones given to anyone who bailed out , this one is a "DI" , the normal ones given to pilot/crew that bailed was always just the body shape and the words caterpillar clud or just caterpillar , just wanted to note this for you.

Johnny

Hey Johnny....

Thanks for checking out the group. His caterpillar club pin is the engraved red white and blue pin shown earlier. The other DI that has the caterpillar on it came with the group so I left it there. It has nothing to do with the caterpillar club.

Thanks Philip and Dan. I always enjoyed this little set. I like the fact you can see him wearing this same pin in the photo above.

JD

Jack's Son

It is a nice group. Funny a that this would come from a coin shop, I would not have guessed that this group would find its way there.

Hey Robin. He actually had some military items as well so it wasn't as strange as I had made it sound earlier. His specialty was coins though.

JD