442nd RCT Color Guard

Old Marine

I was rooting around in the parts box and found that I had 4 of the Verlinden US soldier in winter overcoat figures and the 4 identical figures gave me the idea to create this 442nd color guard vignette. These figures are based on the pretty well know photo of the 442nd RCT Color Guard in the snow taken in Jan or Feb 1945.

The figures are modified Verlinden figures. The flag and streamers are created on the computer and printed out on good paper. The Base is bass wood covered with static grass.

I put the ETO ribbon in just for scale. These figures are about 2.5 inches tall. It's not a knock out Model but it was fun and it looks pretty nice in the display case amongst the real artifacts.

post-2843-1253033785.jpg

Now I have to find a REAL 442nd DUI to display with this, any body got one to sell or trade?

post-2843-1253033839.jpg

I was rooting around in the parts box and found that I had 4 of the Verlinden US soldier in winter overcoat figures and the 4 identical figures gave me the idea to create this 442nd color guard vignette. These figures are based on the pretty well know photo of the 442nd RCT Color Guard in the snow taken in Jan or Feb 1945.

The figures are modified Verlinden figures. The flag and streamers are created on the computer and printed out on good paper. The Base is bass wood covered with static grass.

I put the ETO ribbon in just for scale. These figures are about 2.5 inches tall. It's not a knock out Model but it was fun and it looks pretty nice in the display case amongst the real artifacts.

post-2843-1253033785.jpg

Now I have to find a REAL 442nd DUI to display with this, any body got one to sell or trade?

post-2843-1253033839.jpg

Dennis, another beautiful display. D.I's from the 442nd Inf Regt. are very difficult to find. I am enclosing pictures of one's in my collection for reference and thread. One is Italian made, the other jewler made in the U.S.

post-468-1253141950.jpg

post-468-1253141971.jpg

Dennis, another beautiful display. D.I's from the 442nd Inf Regt. are very difficult to find. I am enclosing pictures of one's in my collection for reference and thread. One is Italian made, the other jewler made in the U.S.

Sterling officer D.I.

post-468-1253142065.jpg

post-468-1253142144.jpg

post-468-1253142170.jpg

Nice viginette.

Did their flag have a unit Crest on it? I can't see it in any of your photos.

Steve

I do not believe the regimental flag had a unit crest. It is the standard eagle with the 44nd Infantry Regiment in the banner.

For general information, the regiment never wore DI's in mass until after they were in Italy, and had them manufactured there. Up to that time, most of the DI's were jewler made in sterling and worn by officers. U.S. made insignia are far more difficult to find.

Thank you all for the nice comments. 34BDQ thank you for the images of the DUIs. If you don't mind I would like to incorporate one of your DUI pictures in to a small display placard to that I am going to make up to display with this model. I especially like the original QM master of the 442 patch, wow, that is an amazing piece, thanks for showing it to me.

As for the regimental flag, I researched it, and the more I researched what a WWII Regimental flag looked like, the more confused I got. So I just made up something based on what I knew at the time. I wanted to be as accurate as possible but I also just wanted something that I thought was close and would make the model look good, and hopefully not too wrong.

Here is a close up of the Regimental flag I created for the model.

post-2843-1253193829.jpg

As I researched the Regimental flag, I couldn't figure out which type was correct for WWII. I couldn't find a period photo that showed the Regimental crest on the eagle. I also saw 2 different types of scrolls on regimental flags and I couldn't figure out which scroll was the WWWII type.

I based the type of scroll work I put on the on the flag on this photo.

post-2843-1253194278.jpg

This is most likely a postwar photo, but I liked the more elaborate scroll and I had this photo so that's what I went with.

As for wether or not to include the Regimental Crest on the WWII flag, I used this flag as a reference and decided to include it. I think it makes the model more interesting. This flag was posted here on the forum and I would like to thank the member who posted it.

post-2843-1253194720.jpg

Thank you all for the nice comments. 34BDQ thank you for the images of the DUIs. If you don't mind I would like to incorporate one of your DUI pictures in to a small display placard to that I am going to make up to display with this model. I especially like the original QM master of the 442 patch, wow, that is an amazing piece, thanks for showing it to me.

Please be my guest. There were 2 patches that are associated with the 442. The first was a circular patch with a hand holding a sword. This patch was not acceptable to the troops and was rejected. From my understanding the yellow color was perceived as racism that they were fighting against besides the enemy. The more familiar one is a hand holding a torch which had 2 variants. One was a totally white hand and torch, the 2nd was a white hand a torch that was highlighted in blue to define the hand and torch.

• 12 years later...