1926 Droop Wing for officer blouse "Meyer of New York"

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

This may represent the most popular emblem among collectors of US Marine Corps militaria collecting. Widely regaled with stories of China Marine influence, the design was drawn by SSgt Joseph Burnett and approved by General LeJeune in May 1925.

With the approval of the SecNav, implementation was approved in December 1926: the Officers emblems were set for adoption in July 1927 for winter service January 1928 for summer service wear. With procurement problems for the new rolled collar blouse for all posts and attempts to exhaust the standing collar blouses lead to the delay of these emblems for use until April 1930.

The detail of these Meyer emblems may well represent the highest level of detail produced for an EGA. Remarkably deep relief and depth of the applied continents, upon a hemisphere with full relief longitude and latitude lines ending at both poles. True to the emblem pattern approved, Meyers provided the anchor and flukes with relief along the edge and across the middle. Following in the design pattern, the eagles head, wings and chest show magnificent details and prominence, especially when viewed on the Cap emblems.

Other known manufactures of these sets were BB&B, N.S. Meyer, Pasquale, H&H and those made in England. New collectors to this area of EGA’s should beware, there are fakes out there in high quality, esp those copies of dress cap emblems. If you do not see hallmarks, you should treat them with a healthy dose of skepticism and seek provenance. These specific emblems are in high demand and not cheap. We can only hope the moderators and forum admin will provided a place in this reference section where these counterfeits, fakes and “fantasy” EGA’s can be parked for reference and to expose these emblems.

Best regards;

post_376_1179310300.jpg

post_376_1179310700.jpg

Greg Robinson

Here's a pic of a "North China Marine" officer wearing what looks like a set of "droop wing" collar emblems in 1941.

Greg

post-4-1179313784.jpg

• 7 months later...
jeremiahcable

Very nice Mike, congratulations on having a complete set of these. Here is my single that I picked up this summer on a sidecap with a BBB Lt. Col. oakleaf. The markings are a little different.

post-8-1198981929.jpg

post-8-1198981942.jpg

• 3 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

More fine examples from recent ebay auction. Interesting to note, this emblems posts are made to accommodate clutchback keepers. A very interesting feature, since its not been determined when the use of clutchback keepers began use?

ns_meyer_fire_bronze_gooney3.jpg

ns_meyer_fire_bronze_gooney2.jpg

ns_meyer_fire_bronze_gooney.jpg

• 1 year later...

Another emblem that was ignored in light of last weekends festivities. Sadly, by me, as well. Sold for $207. Beautiful, beautiful collar emblem. Should have bid myself :pinch:

20offc.jpg

20offc1.jpg

Damn, I have got to get back into EGAs. That is a twin to complete a set, to one of mine.

alternatively, you could always sell to me :w00t: