Is ‘Nam the new WW2?

willysmb44

When I first got into re-enacting, I was five years old. My family did Revolutionary War display stuff during the bicentennial and then Civil War picked up in the late 70s in the deep South (we grew up in North Florida). I remember sometime in the early 80s at one of the Olustee events, people were talking about WW1 events “somewhere up North” which I now assume to be the events in Pennsylvania that are still going on. Into the mid to late 80s, I started hearing rumors of people doing WW2. A cousin in Tennessee by that time was doing German at some of those early events. By the time I got into WW2 as a GI in the late 80s, I noticed a lot of the people getting into it were people who were either tired of Civil War or wanted to do something else as well.

Forward to today. Reading through this forum and hearing from others, I’m getting the feeling that the Viet Nam era is now where the WW2 era was in the early 90s. Many of the local guys into the ‘Nam are mostly WW2 guys from way back. Some have abandoned WW2 altogether. Now, not that I have a problem with any of this or look down on the guys doing ‘Nam era (even though it’s not my cup of tea), but am I the only one seeing a gradual shift to more recent timeframes? How can people in the hobby seriously think that this won’t keep going? It’s a given that eventually, we’ll be seeing Gulf War (both 1 and 2) themed events.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I have seen a shift to Vietnam however it's quite small.

We had a group organized a couple years ago and they are still active but not as active as WWII. They've even put together a Vietnam battle at Camp Roberts that was mildly attended; maybe 30 guys at the most. There are not that many guys doing VC or NVA. I have always been partial to WWII but did purchase an entire Vietnam kit, which I subsequently sold and traded due to a lack of interest. Most of the guys are WWII reenactors, with their focus being on WWII.

Rock

Trust me, more and more people is into Vietnam War. Right now prices on ebay went insane. $200 for vietnam helmet?! $200 for M1956 web gear?! More bidders for VN era as well. But sadly, airsoft community is starting to shifting to Vietnam War as well. IMO, it's terrible because imagine young kids ruining in antique equipment and shooting pink pellets. I've heard of such horrors like one airsofter wanted to have 1st pattern M1955 vest so he took away front pockets from 3rd pattern and another wanted to make his M1955 looks used so he bleached it. In airsoft forums, kids complain that their equipment is too "minty" so they advised them to throw them in mud and leave outside for few days and let nature do its job! :thumbdown: I don't think that's reenacting. The reenacting I always known usually use firearm with blanks and would use reproduction stuff if they know they are going to get dirty and use original stuff if they are doing display in show.

Vietnam reenacting is slowly coming around. The events Ive been to are teh same WW2 reenactors doing the same thing that happens at every WW2 event. Just different goofy costumes, vehicles, and guns.

Over here in the UK there have been people re-enacting Desert Storm for a number of years, albeit in small scale.

I have even seen a Croat unit from the Balkan wars.

Myself I have moved out of WWII and into Veitnam War, I think alot of it is now, there are not that many vets from WWII left around, as much as we thank them very much what they did for us all, there are other vets that didn't get the respect they deserved. So this is why I decided to do VN.

Make me wonder these days how many 16 - 20 year olds in the 60's that are now in there own 60's regret the way the treated there troops in the US when they came back from Vietnam. I think the VN era is good to do so we at last can give them guys and gals some repsect that's due to them, and thats a Brit saying that about your US troops.

Trust me, more and more people is into Vietnam War. Right now prices on ebay went insane. $200 for vietnam helmet?! $200 for M1956 web gear?! More bidders for VN era as well. But sadly, airsoft community is starting to shifting to Vietnam War as well. IMO, it's terrible because imagine young kids ruining in antique equipment and shooting pink pellets. I've heard of such horrors like one airsofter wanted to have 1st pattern M1955 vest so he took away front pockets from 3rd pattern and another wanted to make his M1955 looks used so he bleached it. In airsoft forums, kids complain that their equipment is too "minty" so they advised them to throw them in mud and leave outside for few days and let nature do its job! :thumbdown: I don't think that's reenacting. The reenacting I always known usually use firearm with blanks and would use reproduction stuff if they know they are going to get dirty and use original stuff if they are doing display in show.

I cant figure out if the crazy ebay price are from reenactors or badly informed collectors. But I have noticed a lot of basic issue items with actual history and that would be unsuitable for reenactors have gone cheap. In my opinion Vietnam might be getting biggger but the quality is lacking in some areas, such as airsoft.

i don't think it's sad that the airsoft community is shifting to vietnam era, if anything it should improve reenacting when done right. it's pretty ignorant of you to make blanket statements and lumping ALL airsofters into one category. first off, most of us into vietnam airsoft aren't kids. second, i could easily make a blanket statement about "true" reenactors who use blankfire only who probably don't really know anything about real unit tactics and procedures and just like sitting around in their minty gear and eating fake c-rats without knowing what it's like to have someone truly shooting at them, even if it is just "pink pellets. and btw, i don't know any airsofters who shoot pink pellets. maybe you're thinking about paintball.

but i don't generalize because i know there are adults out there that enjoy both. am i going to run around in $2000 priginal gold tiger stripes? no, that's what repro fatigues are for. am i going to cry that i am using real M1956 web gear out in the field for its intended use and getting it muddy and dirty? no, because honestly, it's cheap as hell for me and i know where to get more for cheap. and i will stack up any one of our events and kits against reenacting events any day of the week. ever think of mixing blankfire with airsoft? yeah, makes a huge difference when there are loud reports going off along with something actually hitting the tree you're behind. so don't knock it until you've tried it.

we're small, but we're growing. we held four events this year with our last one in Oct and we plan on holding just as many if not more around the country next year.

and i'll add one more caveat. big hats off to the guys who ran RECONDO in CT this past august. the biggest testament to its course content, instruction and execution for vietnam reenacting comes from two real vietnam vet operators, cal rollins and john burford. both have attended blank fire reenactments and living history displays. both had some hesitation about what to expect at a "vietnam airsoft" event. and both came away from the event blown away and "very pleased to see you guys are in this for the History and accuracy of operations and tactics." that is a direct quote from cal rollins. he was so impressed that he jumped at the chance to attend the event i'm in charge of organizing in VA in Oct. i am honored that he will be in attedance and be there with his LRP team's indig interpreter as well who now lives in the united states. cal basically told him "you have to see what these guys are doing" and trinh said right on.

yeah, i roll my eyes when i see 14 yr old kids online go "hard core vietnam" airsoft and they have a bunch of ALICE gear and a lot of them probably have too much parental money buying stuff off of ebay for inflated prices. but don't lump all us "airsofters" in together. there is a group of serious reenacting-level players out there that are quickly organizing and putting on events. a lot of us are military veterans. a lot of us are just soft bodied civilians who love history and love to learn and pack a real ruck on the weekends. so why all the hate? i honestly can't see why true enthusiasts of the vietnam war can't enjoy both.

heknowsyouknow

me i have been doing WW2 now for 7 years and loveing it 2nd rangers ..but am now wanting to do nam as a side line at 2/3 events a year that my ranger group dont do .and that are near me ..yes and prices are starting to rocket up in the things i have been wacthing

• 2 weeks later...

A word of caution on US reenactors playing Vietnam...

The WWII veterans of this country largely thought you guys were crazy, but the Vietnam veterans (and I certainly do not intend to paint ALL Vietnam veterans with the same brush here -- this is a sweeping, and somewhat unfair generalization) may not feel the same way seeing their combat service played out by kids with paintball guns and older non-veterans. Not all, but probably a lot, may see this as mockery and by the time you try to explain the difference, it's lost anyhow. Unlike WWII, Vietnam wasn't exactly a check in the win colum for the US, and the public ridiculed and demonized their veterans. My suggestion for any reenactors who are "bored" with their current war, think long an hard about your impression and make sure it doesn't devolve into something so far from reality that it would offend any actual Vietnam veteran. It's great that you'd want to educate and learn what they went through, but with the attitudes I've seen from other reenactors / living historian types towards WWII, I forsee a lot of conflict between real combat heroes and those trying to tell their story.

Here in Florida, Vietnam is picking up speed, mostly from WW2 reenactors looking for something appropriate for our climate where wool and long-sleeved twill aren't exactly appropriate Spring and Autumn fabrics. I'd say 95% of VN reenactors are WW2 refugees.

I can only speak for my particular unit, which portrays Item Company 506th PIR 101ABN from WW2. We got into doing Nam as a way to show the history of the 101st Airborne. We would be at Living History events as WW2 paratroopers and kept getting approached by 'Nam vets wanting to tell their story. So, we started having a couple guys in Type II and Type III fatigues setting up a hooch display with rifles, radios, and artifacts. It was so popular with the public that more guys started doing it, including WW2 reenactors that are 'Nam vets themselves. Right now, the reenactor dollar will stretch farther with 'Nam gear than with WW2 gear, so its attractive provided there are enough events to warrant the expenditure. For that reason (amongst others), my unit is actively trying to expand the number of 'Nam events on the calendar. Where there is a WW2 LH event, we inquire about 'Nam, and try to set up a 'Nam display along with our WW2 display. There are so many Nam vets out there that are proud of their service that it would be almost criminal to ignore them when we do a WW2 display.

I think the one thing that's going to limit Nam reenacting, which WW2 and Desert Storm won't have to address, is the lack of opposing forces for public battles. For WW2, it's easy to switch sides and develop multiple impressions as Allied and German, because, bluntly, everyone is white. White guys are white no matter what uniform they wear. But to do a VC impression, the "round eyes" look a little ridiculous. I can say this because I have a VC impression, and about the only time its used is when it is sitting on a table as a display at LH events, or in use at a tactical. Many times, an organizer wants to know if we can do a public battle, which pretty much dictates a WW2 impression. If you want to know what's going to spark DS reenacting, this will be one of the catalysts; the organizer that wants to be able to market a public battle with his event.

Speaking of tacticals, we just staged our first Nam one, and it went over fantastic. Our climate is pretty close to the heat and humidity of 'Nam, with plenty of bugs and reptiles around. It was a very immersive experience. The use of radios really helped keep things coordinated and there was never a dull moment in the field. The VC were drawn from the ranks of WW2 reenactors looking to recycle their gear and the low-cost entry of VC uniforms is certainly attractive for someone just looking to get his feet wet in VN stuff. A set of PJs, a VC canteen, and you're on your way. Everyone who participated was experienced in reenactor tacticals at the WW2 level and came away supercharged by their 'Nam exposure. We're looking to stage a few more once we can find a gap in the WW2 calendar. Therein lies the rub. There are so many WW2 events going on that its hard to find a spot to squeeze in a 'Nam event.

I don't see many guys starting their reenactor hobby as 'Nam. A few, yes, but most guys gravitate towards WW2. I think the interest is driven by movies - certainly "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" and the two Eastwood Pacific films deserve some credit there. Other than "Apocalypse Now", "Platoon", and "Full Metal Jacket", most guys can't think of any other serious Vietnam movies out there, and those films are 20+ years old.

I can see the parallel of 'Nam reenacting today with WW2 reenacting 20 years ago, pre-"Saving Private Ryan". WW2 was easy and cheap to get into back then, before the surge in demand. That's where Nam reenacting is now. Right now the only Nam things being repro'd out of necessity are boots, hats, and fatigues. Everything else is plentiful and relatively cheap, although the prices for webgear, helmets, radios, rucks, bayos, etc. are starting to go up as demand increases (ostensibly from collectors, reenactors, and paintballers). I can see a time in 10 years when repro companies will start making M-56 canteen covers, then move up to fanny packs, Davis belts, and "Large" size suspenders, the items most in demand. I don't see much else needing to be repro'd beyond that. If you really want that tropical rucksack, you better get it now because I don't think there will ever be enough demand to justify getting it repro'd. And get those triangular handguards, 3-prong suppressors, and solid buttstocks while you can, too.

DS is also picking up steam by collectors, and I can see it eclipsing 'Nam for reenacting, but not until the Afghanistan situation is resolved. Otherwise, I can see DS reenacting becoming a "stolen valor" situation easily enough. The gear is just too current, even the desert camo stuff (even though it is slated to be retired soon). If I had to put a timetable on it, I'd wager we're about 15 years from seeing a DS public battle.

For now, I think that WWII has a critical mass of people and many well developed events that will continue for a long time to attract interested living historians. But the energy seen in Vietnam re-enacting is only noticable because for so many years it was completely lacking

Years ago, I was involved with the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading PA. The same group that built the well known popular and successful WWII weekend, tried to put on a Vietnam weekend to showcase the museum's 60s era aircraft. This was about 1992 or 3 and despite some good pre-publicity, the crowd was sparse. We concluded that the world just wasn't ready for a Vietnam living history event. I think that has changed.

The Vietnam Veterans I've met are often very proud of their service. They want to tell their stories and they want to be remembered. Curiously, this seems to happen 40 years after every war. The WWII guys really never opened up until the 40th anniversary, when they retired, their kids were grown and they had time to reflect. The same happened to WWI and Civil War vets at about the same historical distance. Now after 40 years the Vietnam Veterans are coming to the same place.

Living history events can be a great way for the vets to tell their stories (with someone a little more knowledgable about the war than most) and to take their grandkids and to seek some closure on that part of their lives. I've seen that with the WWII generation. I think that the Vietnam Veterans are just as proud of their buddies as the WWII genreation was and want that to be passed on.

Tactical events present unique challenges with respect to Vietnam. But a good one would probably involve very little shooting and a lot more beating the brush.

Tom Bowers

Tactical events present unique challenges with respect to Vietnam. But a good one would probably involve very little shooting and a lot more beating the brush.

Tom Bowers

We actually kept things jumping at a pretty good clip at our recent tactical, but we had a couple of changes from the standard WW2 tactical format which favors organized army movements of holding/capturing ground. Because VN warfare was about mobility and "winning hearts and minds", we changed the structure and used what we had available to us:

1) location. We used a large Boy Scout camp with many small campsites, separated by short distances. This allowed us to set up several small VN villages and schedule patrols through each one. This made the VC force appear larger than it actually was, because the VC could be at several different places.

2) numbers. Because of the 3:1 numerical advantage the GI's had over the VC, we broke the registrants into 4 groups - an HQ group for older guys to provide radio/logistical support (and never left base camp), a LRRP squad, a 1st squad, and a 2nd squad. This swung the balance in favor of the VC because it diminished the strength of a GI squad at any particular location. Each squad would be sent out on a scripted mission (go survey a bridge, go sweep a village, go rescue a pilot, etc.). The VC knew where the GIs were, or were going to be, but the GIs didn't know where the VC would attack. This way, the VC were constantly engaged in maximum effectiveness, and the GIs were constantly on their toes. On some missions, the VC would attack one squad in strength, but for others it was hit and run by a few VC, then hit again when the GIs stuck their heads up. The GI's never knew if "this was it" or just a small skirmish.

3) "in character" scripted missions. We had a couple of guys doing VC that were good at role-playing. GIs would sweep a village and find a village elder. Depending on how they interacted with the elder would depend whether the VC attacked them on their return to base or not. Even when you weren't shooting, you were on edge. GI's didn't know if they'd succeeded or not. By the time they got back to base, it could be BOHICA.

4) Night action. The theatre stayed hot until 11:30 Friday night, and the VC did a base assault with a mortar team. There was also a packet retrieval mission using glow sticks to mark "key intelligence" from a downed aircraft, and the beast was hungry at night.

5) Psy Ops. The VC had a bullhorn, which came into play Friday night as well.

6) Squad assignments. Most of the players were drawn from 3 WW2 Allied groups and a couple of Axis groups. On the GI side, you were assigned a squad; you didn't automatically get put with the same guys you fight alongside every tactical. A unit of 6 Airborne would find themselves split in half, and shoulder to shoulder with a couple of Rangers and regular infantry. This meant you may have a couple of buddies you know, and the rest were guys you've seen around but had to learn about in a new way. This was an attempt to simulate the rotational policy in VN, and most of the guys said they liked this because it gave them a sense of abandonment at first, and also a chance to make friends by the ends of the weekend.

Doing a VN tactical is possible, but as an organizer you gotta work a little harder to make it happen and be very creative in setting the mission objectives. Having effective radio communications is almost mandatory to coordinate contact between the two sides.

Could this be a blueprint for more VN tacticals? Certainly. It's sufficiently different from most paintball matches and airsoft tacticals that emphasize shooting, but with enough blanks-shooting to keep cap-poppers happy. It also deviates from most WW2 tacticals in strategy and execution.

Is 'Nam the new WW2 for reenactors? I'd say "yes" and "no"; its going to attract a fair number of WW2 reenactor refugees, but (hopefully) stay sufficiently different so as not to be the same thing in a different shade of green.

I cant figure out if the crazy ebay price are from reenactors or badly informed collectors. But I have noticed a lot of basic issue items with actual history and that would be unsuitable for reenactors have gone cheap. In my opinion Vietnam might be getting biggger but the quality is lacking in some areas, such as airsoft.

I've noticed the same thing. The price escalation is usually for items like canteens, covers, buttpacks, belts, suspenders, helmets, Mitchell covers, flashlights, poncho liners, and ammo pouches. In short, the stuff reenactors and airsofters use for battling kit. Everything else... not so much. I picked up an aircrew evasion map dirt cheap. A year's worth of vintage Playboys from 1967 for less than $20. An Instamatic camera with film, flashcubes, box, and instruction for less than $20 (including postage). A pristine tanker stove, complete, dated 1967 for $50. A 1966 mess kit, $6.

I can only assume that most of the demand is being driven on the airsoft side, as most reenactors I know are psuedo-collectors and will pick up items for LH displays if the price is right.

I've noticed the same thing. The price escalation is usually for items like canteens, covers, buttpacks, belts, suspenders, helmets, Mitchell covers, flashlights, poncho liners, and ammo pouches. In short, the stuff reenactors and airsofters use for battling kit. Everything else... not so much. I picked up an aircrew evasion map dirt cheap. A year's worth of vintage Playboys from 1967 for less than $20. An Instamatic camera with film, flashcubes, box, and instruction for less than $20 (including postage). A pristine tanker stove, complete, dated 1967 for $50. A 1966 mess kit, $6.

I can only assume that most of the demand is being driven on the airsoft side, as most reenactors I know are psuedo-collectors and will pick up items for LH displays if the price is right.

you would actually be WRONG that the demand is being driven by "the airsoft side." airsofters, by and large, are cheap. most of their modern gear is chinese clone gear that is leagues cheaper than the real us stuff. so most airsofters who start getting into vietnam-themed stuff do with ALICE gear and odds and ends they pick up. once they get fully bit, then they start looking for legit kit but there is a good community that steers them right to sources that have them for good if not great prices. by now, most of those in the "namsoft" community as we call it know to stay away from ebay and if they have to buy something off there, they know what price NOT to pay for it. all my guys locally to the VA/DC/MD area, i steer them to a source that can provide them with minty fresh h-harness, pistol belt, two ammo pouchs, two canteen pouches and a buttpack, all M1956, for $60. i know my counterpart in the new england area does the same thing with any new players that come to him and his outfit.

this constant bashing of "airsofters" who are into Vietnam is getting pretty annoying to me. unless you've actually come out and experienced one of our events, and our doors are ALWAYS open to reenactors, please give us namsofters the same respect we show reenactors. it has actually gotten to the point that we see ourselves as reenactors that just happen to use airsoft rifles as the tools for our tacticals. tools that actually reach out and touch someone to let them know to go down. mix in some blank fire rifles to the mix and you get some pretty realistic engagements. realistic enough to impress legit operator vets like John Burford, Cal Rollins and Kenn Miller that THEY can "get it." and come back repeatedly to our events. to cross jump thread here, i would LOVE for Sgt Rock to come out to one our events just to check it out because we are using period correct tactics and procedures at each and every one of our events. having return fire that will actually tag you forces you to do so. our events may not yet be 100% kit legit but we are getting there. our organization is just a year old and it has been a packed year. next year only looks to get better. our door is always open to all who are interested so i'd appreciate some return respect by not having "airsoft' be a dirty word here in this particular sub forum.

Ken, I really hope you don’t take any of what you’re about to read personally. It’s based on my personal experiences in airsoft and blank-firing events as well as active duty Army. I know what each group thinks of the others and what they often won’t say to the other’s face.

please give us namsofters the same respect we show reenactors.
I wish you luck with that. Generally speaking (there are exceptions, of course), people who have real firearms are very likely to always look down upon what are, in their eyes anyway, realistic toy guns.
it has actually gotten to the point that we see ourselves as reenactors that just happen to use airsoft rifles as the tools for our tacticals. tools that actually reach out and touch someone to let them know to go down.
And that’s fine, just don’t expect a lot of re-enactors to ever see you under the same heading. I’ve done both airsoft and blank fire events and know people who do both. The “real steel” re-enactors I know pretty much draw the line between airsoft and re-enacting at the “weapons” used in each. Most re-enactors know that REAL military types look down upon them in the same kind of regard, in that re-enactors don’t do it every day and never used live ammo. Re-enactors generally are just fine knowing they’re viewed in that regard by the professional soldiers. Beats me why airsofters have thinner skins or why so many of them don’t see the difference between the two aspects of the same hobby.
i'd appreciate some return respect by not having "airsoft' be a dirty word here in this particular sub forum.
Like it or not, you should be prepared for just that. Think of it on the other side, you buy a Jeep or maybe a tank, maybe you have a real machine gun that costs well into six-figures, and then somebody walks up with a $200 aluminum copy that shoots plastic pellets and expects to be viewed under the same heading as you? :blink:Ain’t gonna happen, GI! Just like a re-enactor wouldn’t expect to walk up to a modern active duty unit and expect to be treated with the respect to the “rank” he bought off eBay, the hobby has rungs in the ladder. Yes, airsoft is VERY close to blank fire, no question. But you have goggles, kids well under 18, plastic “guns” and white BB’s flying around. People who dedicate themselves to blank-firing just will not see you eye-to-eye as on the same level.

Is that fair? No, probably not as in the end, it’s all “Playing Army” with the main difference being the weapons.

Is that accurate? Yeah. It is. It’s why people who do blank fire events don’t see airsoft folks on the same level.

Is everyone like that? No, of course not. I know plenty of people who do both and see them equally, but almost all of those people do airsoft events. I know very few who don’t do airsoft who see the two as the same.

It is what it is.

shrapneldude

All politics and reenactor vs. Airsfoter BS aside, to the question posed at the start of this thread...I would like to volunteer to be a pretend Iraqi insurgent when the time comes. The thought of shooting blanks and fake mortars at kids dressed like OIF Marines just makes me chuckle.

All politics and reenactor vs. Airsfoter BS aside, to the question posed at the start of this thread...I would like to volunteer to be a pretend Iraqi insurgent when the time comes. The thought of shooting blanks and fake mortars at kids dressed like OIF Marines just makes me chuckle.

You and me both. Dirka dirka dirka, Marine!

you would actually be WRONG that the demand is being driven by "the airsoft side." airsofters, by and large, are cheap. most of their modern gear is chinese clone gear that is leagues cheaper than the real us stuff. so most airsofters who start getting into vietnam-themed stuff do with ALICE gear and odds and ends they pick up. once they get fully bit, then they start looking for legit kit but there is a good community that steers them right to sources that have them for good if not great prices. by now, most of those in the "namsoft" community as we call it know to stay away from ebay and if they have to buy something off there, they know what price NOT to pay for it. all my guys locally to the VA/DC/MD area, i steer them to a source that can provide them with minty fresh h-harness, pistol belt, two ammo pouchs, two canteen pouches and a buttpack, all M1956, for $60. i know my counterpart in the new england area does the same thing with any new players that come to him and his outfit.

this constant bashing of "airsofters" who are into Vietnam is getting pretty annoying to me. unless you've actually come out and experienced one of our events, and our doors are ALWAYS open to reenactors, please give us namsofters the same respect we show reenactors. it has actually gotten to the point that we see ourselves as reenactors that just happen to use airsoft rifles as the tools for our tacticals. tools that actually reach out and touch someone to let them know to go down. mix in some blank fire rifles to the mix and you get some pretty realistic engagements. realistic enough to impress legit operator vets like John Burford, Cal Rollins and Kenn Miller that THEY can "get it." and come back repeatedly to our events. to cross jump thread here, i would LOVE for Sgt Rock to come out to one our events just to check it out because we are using period correct tactics and procedures at each and every one of our events. having return fire that will actually tag you forces you to do so. our events may not yet be 100% kit legit but we are getting there. our organization is just a year old and it has been a packed year. next year only looks to get better. our door is always open to all who are interested so i'd appreciate some return respect by not having "airsoft' be a dirty word here in this particular sub forum.

Didn't mean to offend. I've been interested in trying historical airsoft, but can't find a date that doesn't conflict with reenacting or my other hobbies. If there's a look-down/look-up situation, I haven't seen it. Although, I will say that generally airsofters tend to be on the younger side and reenactors tend to be on the older side. Airsofters (that I know) usually have less stringent authenticity standards and will freely mix nylon 67 gear with canvas 55 gear. But that's just what I've seen from airsoft group sites in my area.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

QUOTE(kken @ Oct 5 2009, 10:24 PM)

I have heard some good things about the guys in Texas. Bought some stuff from Moore Militaria and spoke with him about your events down there. I talked to my guys about training events using airsoft so so that accurate fire could be used without having to have real weaponry (California).

Rock

• 6 months later...

I believe Vietnam is still too fresh in America's mind to reenact. Esp. every thing afterwards too. WW2 is becoming forgotten, so that is why I see a need to do reenacting for that conflict. Korea too if anyone does it. Just my thoughts.

Sam

Even though I'm anxious to finish my LRRP Medic Impression, I also think that Vietnam War is a little early to reenact.

Michael