SF Tiger Stripe Shirt w/ Patches

all-bull

Hey guys,

My father bought this in the 80s before he really knew tigers were being reproduced. Personally, I do not really know enough about Tiger Stripes to determine if its real or not. There are no markings, but it is extremely small. The wrist cuffs are thin hem, and have no buttons. It's not ripstop material, and actually the brown shades do not show up too well on my pictures like they do in real life.

I DO NOT like the SF shoulder patch...The printed patch I am not sure about, but it seems too overinked, and I have never seen one with a green edge sewn all the way around...not to mention, it is not on the pocket.

Would love to hear your opinions. Please don't badger me too bad.... ;)

post-2063-1252712005.jpg

AB

Your tiger shirt is real .

I do not use the scumbag Richard Johnsons names for tiger but I can tell you is it from 69ish .

The patches are a different matter .

As you have the shirt in your hands do they feel like they have been on forever?

Be honest with yourself on this .

Hand sewn or machine applied ?

I like the arm SF patch .

THe chest one is placed at a weird place for me .

But let the patch guys speak .

owen

Owen,

Thanks for your quick reply. I do not really want want to make opinions on the patches, but they do look like they have been on for a very long time....But I am afraid they might have been put on just after the war, So I do not want to say one way or the other. Here are some better pics.

inside of Tham Sat:

post-2063-1252712980.jpg

I'm not liking the SF patch with the attached tab. It looks like one of the US made Southwest series patches. These would have been made during the 1980's so that would match the time frame.

I am not liking the printed patch either. From what I can see in the picture it is a very poor print job. I'd have to pull out my sample printed repros from that time period, but I will bet it is a match for the Mike Force patch that was made also back during that time period.

Notice the difference between how heavy the stitching is on the Mike Force patch vs. the SF patch. Most likely sewn by a different hand at a differet time.

I have a theory...especially if the patches look like if they have been on there and washed. Back around that time there were a lot "welcome home" parades after the Vietnam Memorial was dedicated. I think it is possible the Mike Force patch may have been sewn on for that purpose. The SF patch may have been put on for the same purpose or it could have been added on later as an embelishment. Keep in mind a lot of vets did not keep their old patches, and often were unwilling to pay collector's prices for them. They were often quite fine with using with using reproductions.

It's a nice thought, and if so, it has its own place as a historic item.

SF patch and tab is fake. The PRU patch holds some promise, but I have my doubts. It is sewn on the jacket using a stitch pattern that is not typically used for patches. However, the tailor could have thought printed patches were weaker and needed extra re-enforced stitching to hold it on. Its location on the jacket is alittle odd too.

SF patch and tab is fake. The PRU patch holds some promise, but I have my doubts. It is sewn on the jacket using a stitch pattern that is not typically used for patches. However, the tailor could have thought printed patches were weaker and needed extra re-enforced stitching to hold it on. Its location on the jacket is alittle odd too.

How do you know??

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just keep the patches on there so as not to damage the shirt, but I'm glad my original thoughts about the patches being fake were right.

I just pulled my copy of Ian Sutherland's book on US Special Forces. The PRU patch is a copy of one for Binh Tuy Province. Compared to the one shown in the book, the patch should have an accent mark (or dicretical) over both of the letters A in Tham Sat. Also, the shape of the mouth is all wrong, and the shape of the skull at the jaw line is not right either.

Binh_Tuy_PRU.JPG

• 10 months later...
Got ya covered gwb....

I would have never noticed that, glad you said something

"right" vs. "wrong":

yeah i agree and to top it it looks like the skull guy on the right had just a wee too much pasta with his spaghetti!!

...he was probably dining with Achmed The Terrorist !! hahahah!!!