ERDL SOG JUNGLE JACKET

kammo-man

The caption is RT Idaho, 1971.

recon_11.jpg

To me Bowra is wearing an ERDL shirt.

On other photos taken later he is also wearing that kind of modified jacket when he was working with FANK.

I would have to agree. That is an ERDL shirt

The caption is RT Idaho, 1971.

recon_11.jpg

To me Bowra is wearing an ERDL shirt.

On other photos taken later he is also wearing that kind of modified jacket when he was working with FANK.

I like that model 608 flash hider on the rifle of the guy in the red bandana. Don't see too many of those around, then or now.

I like that model 608 flash hider on the rifle of the guy in the red bandana. Don't see too many of those around, then or now.

In other shots of this team it looks like a homemade flashider, almost like a blunderbuss...

But WHY would someone wear these tapes on a shirt that is just gonna be worn at camp? Maybe to help out if the guy is passed out, face down in his own puke drunk or has a case of the clap?

Is your comment drawn from own personal experience there, Spike? :yucky:

Relating something from your own combat tour in the Nam?

In other shots of this team it looks like a homemade flashider, almost like a blunderbuss...

That is what the 608 flash hiders look like, a big funnel looking thing. The 608 had those and some had model 607 flash hiders, but I guess a lot of parts got mix matched back then. Even today, when I was in Iraq last time, one of our guys shot the flash hider off of his SAW in a firefight and went the rest of the deployment with no flash hider.

"Is your comment drawn from own personal experience there, Spike?

Relating something from your own combat tour in the Nam"

I'm just collector, too young to have gone to Nam, the comment was to be taken tongue in cheek, a smart as comment. I was a alcoholic for a few years so I CAN speak from the puking aspect.

That is what the 608 flash hiders look like, a big funnel looking thing. The 608 had those and some had model 607 flash hiders, but I guess a lot of parts got mix matched back then. Even today, when I was in Iraq last time, one of our guys shot the flash hider off of his SAW in a firefight and went the rest of the deployment with no flash hider.

never seen a 608, you have a picture?

here is a better picture of the one in question

flashider.jpg

And on a different note I fired a SAW last time I was in Vegas and coming from a UK based person who cant buy an airsoft gun without a reason and regs that was awesome...

That weapon should have been named ...The thing !!!!!

Paul ,

When you hit town we shall bring you to the range to pop some caps !!

All in Downtown LA right beside your hotel.

owen

That weapon should have been named ...The thing !!!!!

Paul ,

When you hit town we shall bring you to the range to pop some caps !!

All in Downtown LA right beside your hotel.

owen

Now that sounds fun!!!!

Colt model 608 Aviator Survival Carbine (linked from retroblackrifles.com)

608-1-717x220.jpg

loos tha same though the one in the original picture looks like its held on witha crocodile clip (not sure if they are called that in the states...)

This has been a very interesting thread to read.

All the supposition about who exactly wore this ERDL and doing what is very much secondary to the fact that it is an awesome example of a blood group patched ERDL.

To be honest, Valery's comment still irks me.....

Spike,

Valéry is, I believe, referring to a thread about a particular zippered OD jungle jacket. Which was pretty comprehensively sh1t canned because it came from source that wasn't the veteran and it's provenance couldn't be proven 100 percent.

I have to say that I find nothing irksome with Valéry's comment, on the contrary I tend to agree with him.

Then by that rational, if it can't be traced back to a name, like 90% of Vietnam militaria, then it MUST be suspect?

No not at all.

In fact what Valéry was saying was just the opposite to what you have said above. He indicated that he liked the jacket, but warned that there will be those that will doubt the originality of the piece because if does not have a full and correct pedigree - just as there was with the zipper modified jungle jacket.

I am not really sure what irks you about what Valery said.

My point was...why EVEN bring it up. It almost read like a sour grapes comment. The obsession of having things either come from the vet or being tracked back to a name just seems to be getting outta hand lately. I understand it, but with some, it seems to be an obsession. Like I said, 90% of ALL Vietnam militaria has no known history. When I first saw this jacket, I had NO doubts that is was good. The problem is, to me, too many "new" collectors think they know it all because of the internet whereas Bob, Owen, Andrei, me and a few others have been dealing with this stuff WAAAAAAY (20+yrs) before the internet and between us, we have probably 60-80 years of collecting experience and seen 1000's of pieces VN militaria so you develop a feel or sense of what is good, even from a photo. Too many new, internet based, collectors seem to come in, guns blazing and question EVERYTHING, all the time, and at times it's insulting to guys who have been into this stuff 20 or so YEARS before these new guys come along, looking stuff up on the internet and then commenting like a 20+yr expert. So by Valery posting that some will doubt the piece because "it didn't come from the vet" is, TO ME, was a statement that really didn't need to be said. It almost seems that if it isn't seen on the internet, in photo, came from a vet or can be researched to a name, it's authenticity is ALWAYS questioned. Who wore it or where it was worn my never be known but it is a legit shirt, with or without provenance. If some are offended, I offer no apologies, it's MY opinion and feelings only.

Bonjour,

First, thanks to Mr X for his friendly help. I can understand that my expression could be not very clear and quick to misunderstandings.

To Spike,

Could you explain me, where’ve I made in my post, a single criticism to Owen’ jacket?

“Very happy for you, that's a really great find! You've here an highly desirable jacket. Unfortunately for some people, if it's not coming straight from the vet it'll be always consider as a suspect item. However for me, great find!

Cheers

Valery”

I think we have exactly the same opinion about this subject but in any case!

Cheers

Valery

• 5 years later...

Hey all,

Bringing up a very old thread I know but obviously with time more evidence comes out. Also i don't think that MT will ever come on the forum again (hopefully) so I'm really just posting these pics for fun more than to prove him wrong about SOG wearing modified ERDLs in the field.

Anyway credit goes fully to Jason Hardy as I've scanned these from his book MACV SOG V6.

It might seem that modifying erdls was a late war thing to do, say around '71 and done more by the members of the Task Force Advisory Elements.

First pic is pretty much the mother of SOG modified ERDL shirts.

post-117117-0-36769700-1432979330.jpg

Frank Pulley again with another SOG member rolling ERDL pants, modified and sprayed OG JJ with a 1-0 vest.

of note are Franks Pulley modified erdl pants with added shirt pockets below hip pockets

post-117117-0-36507300-1432979769.jpg

Very famous photo Bobby Pruett wearing ERDLs in camp but note modified pants similar to Frank Pulleys. Once again photo credit to Jason Hardy.

post-117117-0-24551000-1432979927.jpg