ERDL SOG JUNGLE JACKET

kammo-man

NKDA.....quite common to advertise this today,

Really, cause I'm looking at pictures of 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces group in Panjwayi Valley, Afghanistan 2006 with just blood type....do you mean post 2006 this is common?

Below is a link to a forum post w/ pic from 2003 with a gentleman wearing a blood type/NKDA combo patch. All I can say is that I have been training active duty mil since long before our current GWOT and I know I have seen it quite a bit in the past. Sadly I am usually too busy instructing to get pics of of their cool little patches....

Rest assured that tomorrow I will inquire with some local tier one medical professionals on what their take is on the subject....FWIW

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2337

030315-N-5362A-005.jpg

When it "talks", what does it say......Well, the guy is B-POS. OK.

Non-Allergenic = Normal

In the medical field, you don't need to know that the guy is normal, just abby-normal.

So I would suspect that only "Allergenic" tapes would be used.

MT...how is that? I've really only scratched the "scientific" surface so far.

Maybe this can be explained by someone before I go on? (but please hurry old timer, I only have 4 days to deployment).

Steve

I have seen shirts that have blood type and OK-PEN (Penecillin)

RD

I beg to differ Steve!! this is a hardcore SOG item only!! maybe someone else somewhere used something close, this was a total SOG item!! Ive talked to Tilt Meyer and he even told me that they had tapes made up saying "F*#K You" and "I'm Dead", and Ive heard of teams having CCN and/or RT-HABU tapes made up for In-Camp and going to meeting uniforms, but never blood type and non alergic tapes no need in camp to have this, not even a party uniform!! Ive talked with Jason before and he once talked about CCN stealing the ERDLs from the Marines, as for using em cross the fence, here a photo of a uniform that belongs to Jason that I photoed back 5-6 years ago!!

So yes, this is a hardcore SOG RT field uniform!! Nice job owen!!!

paul

Nice shirt Paul.Thanks for sharing the picture.I remember it from another thread on zippered pockets.Goes to show that the placement of the tapes were not standard either.The pic of Jasons shirt has the blood type on the opposite pocket than Owens shirt.Says to me there were no hard and fast rules as what was done and not done.

RD

vintageproductions
When it "talks", what does it say......Well, the guy is B-POS. OK.

Non-Allergenic = Normal

In the medical field, you don't need to know that the guy is normal, just abby-normal.

So I would suspect that only "Allergenic" tapes would be used.

MT...how is that? I've really only scratched the "scientific" surface so far.

Maybe this can be explained by someone before I go on? (but please hurry old timer, I only have 4 days to deployment).

Steve

Steve-I am not sure what you are trying to say here tonight but for the most part it is just gibberish. You are a smart guy and I know you have read books. You can pick up any legit SF / SOG related book and see where they wore these type name strips on a regular basis. Like Paul said earlier, John Meyers has stated they wore all different types of strips on their mission uniforms.Maybe this was just for RT Idaho, but I am sure other teams did the same thing. The basic reason, so the medics don't screw something up, that simple. Paul also has posted a documented ERDL jacket that belongs to Jason. So in your logic, does that make this fake? You state that in the medical profession that is what is done, so Jason's uniform from the vet must be "humped up" because no one would do that. Also, the medics attached to these units were not working in a modern hospital where they have access to a patient's records, they were working in the jungle on a wounded member, and they themselves had only basic medical training. They had to work with what very simple info they had.

Next, you make the sarcastic comment about when a piece talks to you. You have handled enough items to know what this means. Even a collector with only basic knowledge can have the feeling when something is right. When you look at a item it either speaks to you or it doesn't. Let me explain what this means so other collectors don't get even more confused. When you are at a show and you walk up to a table that has a piece you are interested in. You look at it and pick it up. While you are doing this the item "talks to you" on its originality or it doesn't talk to you. Maybe you can call it a sixth sense, or whatever, but you will devlop this ability. Is it fool proof? No, nothing is. At the same time a piece can say" don't buy this." Maybe this is harder to explain then I thought, but you can touch and look a piece and for the most part can tell if it is original, like the original item posted in this thread.

The statement about not the appropriate time to make Spike's observations. Wow, I didn't realize this was a sensitive image to SOG vets. Every book I have ever read on SOG teams. and the vet's I have spoken to, are always free with the information about the heavy drinking they did after mission's, for days on end. They were also free about talking about going to the "Safe Houses" on R & R, and visiting the local working girls. This is not sensitive or Not To Be Spoken About affairs, it was a fact of life for these guys. The were hard workers and even harder players. These guys were not saint's by any means, and they never have claimed to be. I think your statement would be way more offensive to them, then Spike's sentence.

Lastly, I hope you remember all your postings you have done on here, and how other members disagree from time to time. You have your's and Scott's Riverine book coming out within a few days. I am sure there will people that will disagree with a lot of items you guys have written. Are they right and you are wrong, or vice a versa? Hard to say, but no matter what, not everyone will agree with what is written. Maybe a member here has met a Riverine vet that tells them, that everything you guys have written is wrong, and his boat did something differently. Who is wrong? No one, it was just a different person's views. There are always two sides to every story. You may not agree with what the above shirt is, but no one is forcing you to. I know Owen is happy with it and is extremely stoked about getting it, and he probably does not care about what you think. While I am sure there are PBR items you own and are proud to own, that he would give a rat's rear-end about. Like has been stated over and over on this forum, there is no 100% set in stone on anything Vietnam. Everybody did things differently.

They had to work with what very simple info they had.

Yep...a "switched on" team medic is going to have his troops do this to help expedite their treatment...

Sweet shirt regardless..........I wish I had a rag house so I could risk some black lung for this kind of treasure.... :thumbsup:

Guys

I was doing my rounds this morning and found a ERDL SOG shirt with a B-POSITIVE and a NOT -ALLERGIC set of tapes that were in-country made and applyed .

As you know this is in the fantasy relm of SOG items with only a handfull of surviving garments in existance .

The shirt is 69 dated and has been taken in for a slimmer fit .

There is damage to the collar and front of the jacket .

Enjoy

owen

***DROOL*** This is a real gem.

T-Bone

Owen,

Very cool find. Thanks for sharing!

I'm with Mike Tucker in that I haven't seen images of ERDL being worn on Ops by SOG personnel, but that certainly does not mean it didn't happen. The jacket could be SOG, PJ, JCRC, FANK, Force RECON, LRRP... who knows. Whatever it is, it is certainly high speed and 100% enviable!

Here are some pics of one of my SOG cross boarder uniforms with a blood type to show the spectrum of variation with these jackets.

---Chris

So Owen....Did you wet yourself like I just did.....

What an amazing shirt and piece of history, which could potentially change everything that everyone thought they knew.

Super piece.....I will double your money for it!!

Owen, here is a photograph of a man wearing an erdl camo uniform similar to yours. However, he is not preparing for a mission but is in camp. You will also notice that he is wearing a black baseball cap. metal rank insignia on his collars, and ID cards attached to his pockets. Definitely a jacket worn in camp.

I'm sure Spike would agree that he is wearing it in case he becomes drunk, falls on his face, and pukes all over himself.

post-405-1253024155.jpg

I'm sure Spike would agree that he is wearing it in case he becomes drunk, falls on his face, and pukes all over himself.

I used my CSI photo program to enhance the ID card.....

IfFoundDrunk.jpg

Also note the added pockets to the upper sleeves. I am purposely avoiding this verbal fray but that might seem to be a modification for a top that would be worn in the field. My thoughts only ....

Regardless, a great photo Michael and thanks for sharing.

Owen,

Very cool find. Thanks for sharing!

I'm with Mike Tucker in that I haven't seen images of ERDL being worn on Ops by SOG personnel, but that certainly does not mean it didn't happen. The jacket could be SOG, PJ, JCRC, FANK, Force RECON, LRRP... who knows. Whatever it is, it is certainly high speed and 100% enviable!

Here are some pics of one of my SOG cross boarder uniforms with a blood type to show the spectrum of variation with these jackets.

---Chris

Hey Chris,

well LRRPs and Force recon wouldnt have these specific tabs, this was a SOG item only not to mention I believe it was a CCN or CCC tape only! There are those photos of LT Bowra wearing ERDL in the field that everyone claims was when he was w/ FANK, but Ive always believed they were when he was on a RT.

hey Mike,

great photo of the SOG member w/ black hat and ERDLs, but being someone who was in the service it could be all other uniforms are dirty, or he is preparing to go to the Range, which is what Tilt thought when I told him, or preparing to go into isolation? I see he's wearing the camp pass but that could mean alot of things. As for Camp uniforms, I see guys wearing whats comfortable, and wearing your top tucked into your trousers is way hot,

again great discusion topic!!

paul

Interesting points guys, but I am still waiting for that photograph of ERDL camo being worn "over the fence". I also have plenty of photographs of men wearing the blood and allergic strips in the field, so that is not an issue with me. Until I find a photograph of ERDL being worn in the field by SOG or until someone like Tilt Meyers tells me he knows for sure that it happened, I will remain skeptical.

well LRRPs and Force recon wouldnt have these specific tabs, this was a SOG item only

Where did SOG draw their personel from? Did they get guys from LRRP and Force RECON units? Did these guys ever go back to their units to work or play?

Lessons learned by professional soldiers get passed on to others for sure........if it is a good idea and it works to kill the enemy or save lives it gets used....

Just a thought...

ive been in touch with a sog vet for a few years know who was at camp long thanh b-53

he was a one-zero.70-71

i found an old email from him which meantions erdl being worn when they left vn to come home.....

During my time, I specifically wore jungle fatigues like the shirt you bought from me. Often times, we's spray paint them black. Once I wore cammies, and that was an EF, and not an RT. We also spray painted all of our equipment black, to include our explosives.

I commonly wore jungle stripes, but never in the field. They were issued for use by the mobile strike forces, primarily. Several of my friend also wore Levis in the field, spray painted black, with cargo pockets sewn onto them, because they were much more durable, and ripped less easily.

When 5th SF redeployed back from VN to Ft. Bragg, I was part of the force, and they issued brand new camouflage fatigues for us to wear. Camouflage fatigues were just starting to come in when we came back home. Also, in one of the pictures I will send, I am wearing a tiger striped hat I believe, and we were trying to insert that day.

Wow ,

This one heated up last night for sure !!!!

Thanks to all for the congrats on the jacket .

This one speaks to you indeed .

I put it on a torso in my war room last night and most of my collection was jealous .

I did notice that the 2 tapes have different fabric in construction , which is nice to see .

Mike ,

Thanks for pulling the photo .

It is a classic .

No doubt it is a SF guy wearing a badged up shirt similar to mine .

If he is in the camp going about his business we shall never know .

But it is what it is .

Thanks .

Paul ,

Good work on the Jason jacket !!

You keep everything you dog ..........

VP

Good to see the pashion for collecting is alive and well .

All said and done , I have learned some usefull information here .

A can of worms has been opened but I am sure you all can agree it has been intresting hashing this complex and little known subject out !!!

Thanks to all who pitched in

owen

kammoman .

One thing I forgot to say that came up while speaking with Owen this morning was that the SOG members attached to the Hatchet Forces wore tigerstripe and ERDLs across the fence, since they were such a large group, platoon or larger, there was no need to hide their identity, so this could very well be a uniform of a Hatchet Force member in the last days of SOG?? just a thought.

Of course Tilt says they wore the ERDLs and tigers around camp and on the range but not in the field, but then again he was there early, compared to the ERDLs being more common.

again owen I'll see if I can find the pix of the close up tabs. :)

paul

Owen,

That shirt way rocks...if the jealousy in your collection gets too bad send it my way!!!!!

I have a second pattern jungle jacket with sewn tapes and the pockets have had the buttons replaced with snaps.Looks like a WW2 type para jacket.The tapes are US made.I have never posted it any where or care to.Is it a after thought and the tapes made and attached state side by a former team member??who knows.I have nothing in it as I got it back in the eighties when I lived in Texas.Only mil jacket aT THE GARAGE SALE.

RD

Corpsmancollector

I just wanted to add; Owen, Bob, Mike, Spike, Paul and those I haven't mentioned, a massive thanks. I don't profess to know diddly squat about 'nam gear but it's something I'm fast becoming fascinated by because I've had the chance to pick up a few nice items recently (thanks again Owen! Lol) and being able to talk to guys like you who have been in the collecting world for so long and seen the hottest pieces around and even written the books is truly a privelage.

Keep up the great research and keep hunting one and all.

Will

Mr Doyle ,

I will keep that in mind !!

Cheers Will

River patrol .

I have spent many nights drinking with Tilt and he confirms the boozing stories .

After being across the fence , a man only had 1 thought ...get wasted !!!

And I do not mean a couple of drinks .

Also the French man was party to some of the more naughty black pajama high jinx .

Wild men seems tame for these nutcases .

owen