ERDL SOG JUNGLE JACKET

kammo-man

No one is saying the jacket is not real. However, it is posted as an ERDL SOG jungle jacket. Maybe it is. I am still waiting for someone to post an image of an ERDL jacket worn by a SOG member in the field ("over the fence"). I will post photographs of this type jacket worn in camp.

Anyone that believes something because you "can not disprove it" needs to take a refresher course in the scientific method.

vintageproductions

Okay, here is my take on this. Most everyone is looking at a photo of this jacket, I handled it personally yesterday. If you handle enough "rag" you get a great feel for things. To see the wear and damage, and where the damage / tears are, it is even harder to believe this is a "camp shirt".

I have done Vietnam items for waaaayyyyy toooooo looonnggg, to say something "NEVER HAPPENED" or "IT WAS NOT WORN THAT WAY", to make a comment like that. As soon as it is said that it was never done or worn that way, someone will turn up a photo of it being worn or used that way. I also learned a long time ago that when 99.99% of members of a unit worn something one way, there was always a small minority that wore it differently. In Vietnam collecting there is no way to say something was not done, unless the item in question was made long after the conflict.

Thanks APO for your mature insight on collecting the rare pieces from whatever era an item cames from .

The same formulia applys to all items I also feel .

Mike ,

As an author who has worked with Jason Hardy you if anyone knows what and where a blood group name style strip comes from .

Jason has had these on his site for many moons , and they are not cheap .

He also states they are a SOG type item .

Now I am not a patch collector by any means , I have a couple of nice badged items in my collection that I feel are good .

This jacket now being one of them , that is a un-messed with item with original applied medical information patches of the type worn by SOG .

Now if you add up the evidance 1 blood group patch , 1 no allergies , 1 camouflage shirt dated 1969 it all adds up to in my opinion to a SOG shirt that is if Jasons information is correct in the first place .

Spike makes a great point , if lying face down in a puddle of puke a guy would need a shirt like this just to get revied by his mates .

Sounds weird .

As stated this jacket has seen plenty of action , so this leads me to believe it combat worn .

I only found this jacket on friday and let the impact of this sink in over the weekend .

Legit adged uniforms form the backbone of any military collections and this one feels so good .

I will show it to you at Vintage productions show in November and you will feel the vibe I am talking about

I showed it to Bob and Spike yesterday and they are 2 of the most experienced collectors of Vietnam cloth that have seen it so far .

Both agreed it is a 100% legit garment .

So with that over we just have someone like you to open up the archive and pull some ERDL pictures !!!

owen

Here is the back of the patch.

Thanks for the congrats guys .

As you know we are all only caretakers of historical items and this one is no exception .

I will look at this baby with great care !!!

owen

post-2009-1252951248.jpg

Hi ALL

Owen definitly your are in lucky time, outstanding jacket you find here, field or camp wear i don t know

But in fact this jacket look 100 % legit thanks you a lot for your pics :thumbsup:

ps. now try the national lottery

B

The lottery would be a good one .

If I win I will buy everyone here a plane ticket to come to LA and have a good holiday on me !!!

owen

With great pleasure Owen im come with your Thornton shirt in my bag

J

Bob, I will be the first one to agree that one must never say never about anything done in Vietnam. However, after looking at thousands of photographs and interviews with hundreds of SOG veterans, I can find no information about ERDL worn in the field. I have images of ERDL worn in camp. I can only conclude that wearing ERDL "over the fence" was not done. It may have but at this point I would need a photograph to change my mind.

I am not sure why everyone is offended by the term "camp" jacket. Every SOG jungle jacket with a team patch or bomb burst patch on it is a "camp" jacket, for these were never worn in the field.

Owen, I agree that the strips you are talking about were worn on SOG jackets and are authentic. I have only seen them worn on OD jungle jackets that were used in the field.

I'm afraid I must go with the 99% evidence in this case.

Mike ,

With that being said one must concur it is some sort of SF operators jacket or a related field .

But SF not wearing ERDL in the field seems far fetched to me .

owen

Owen, I do not know what a SF operator is. However, some Special Forces personnel that were not in SOG did wear ERDL in the field, but I still can not find any evidence of ERDL in wear by SOG in the field.

Mike

Operator =personel same thing to my Irish way of thinking .

A picture might turn up ...who knows .

All I do know is is one of the best $10 I have ever spent that was NOT in a pub ......

owen

vintageproductions

Mike-My post was not directed at you, and by reading your reply it seems that you look it personal, that is not what it was meant to be. I was trying to say to everyone, that you must never say never, in the Vietnam collecting field, esp. in the elite forces units. While I agree we may have never seen a photo of a SOG team wearing a ERDL camo on ops, a very good mutual friend of ours has a documented ERDL set from a CCN member in 1971. He stole it off of a clothes line in the Marine compund. This, like I said is a documented set. Who is to say that he did not wear it in the field.

Also, I don't think any of the posters here are getting mad about the shirt being referred to as a "camp shirt". We all know that most camp shirts were not worn in the field. Who would go out on a recon mission wearing a badged piece with big, pretty pocket patches on their shirt? But, at the same time, why would any one wear an erdl shirt, in camp, with no identification patches on it, and only a blood type and Non-Allegeric strip? That just doesn't seem right. You and I both know that SOG members were proud of who they were and esp. of their team. Maybe the only person who will ever know the true story on this shirt is the guy that it belonged to.

Hey Owen,

Thanks for sharing this piece with all of us at the monthly gathering Saturday night. It was definately a highlight and your passion about it made the viewing and handling of it even better.

I look forward to whatever you decide to bring next month, but it sounds like it will be hard to top this one. ;)

Using the theory of research, and experience (with a gang much earlier than the SF, MAC SOC, etc) a scientific approach and just speaking with a Cadre member of the 5 & 7th goups in the mid to late 60's...personally I would not draw conclusions. She is what she is....like it or not. This square peg may not fit in anyone's round hole. But let me ask this question...Why would a guy like Kammo-Man, Bob or anyone else dilute thier reputaion over a 10.00 rag?

Hope this helps.

why does it seem that everytime someone posts something rare, exotic, cool, neat, spiffy or something seldom seen...people line up to "poo-poo" it?

Seems to be the local past time for many around here.....

Having said that, I really enjoy everyones posts and I always learn something, that is why I am here.

Maybe to help out if the guy is passed out, face down in his own puke drunk or has a case of the clap?

Not the appropriate time for such an observation. I'm sure those at CCN or other bases would NOT appreciate this comment and imagery it projects.

I suspect this is more of an "in camp" type shirt....one that may be under guerilla-type attacks on a regular basis. Just a guess.

Also, the use of these tapes is not limited to SOG.

Steve

I beg to differ Steve!! this is a hardcore SOG item only!! maybe someone else somewhere used something close, this was a total SOG item!! Ive talked to Tilt Meyer and he even told me that they had tapes made up saying "F*#K You" and "I'm Dead", and Ive heard of teams having CCN and/or RT-HABU tapes made up for In-Camp and going to meeting uniforms, but never blood type and non alergic tapes no need in camp to have this, not even a party uniform!! Ive talked with Jason before and he once talked about CCN stealing the ERDLs from the Marines, as for using em cross the fence, here a photo of a uniform that belongs to Jason that I photoed back 5-6 years ago!!

So yes, this is a hardcore SOG RT field uniform!! Nice job owen!!!

paul

post-2472-1252979696.jpg

post-2472-1252980083.jpg

Okay, I got to see Owen's rocking shirt today. For those of you who want to know what a real piece looks like, just study the photos. When you hold this one in your hands it just "talks".

When it "talks", what does it say......Well, the guy is B-POS. OK.

Non-Allergenic = Normal

In the medical field, you don't need to know that the guy is normal, just abby-normal.

So I would suspect that only "Allergenic" tapes would be used.

MT...how is that? I've really only scratched the "scientific" surface so far.

Maybe this can be explained by someone before I go on? (but please hurry old timer, I only have 4 days to deployment).

Steve

I have no problem with the jacket being what it is.....this is all just analysis and learning.

In the medical field, you don't need to know that the guy is normal, just abby-normal

NKDA.....quite common to advertise this today, it allows the medical professional to quickly utilize whatever is in their toolbox to help save your life...

"Not the appropriate time for such an observation. I'm sure those at CCN or other bases would NOT appreciate this comment and imagery it projects"

Please explain this statement. You think SOG guys didn't get raging drunk after missions and/or liked to visit the local house of pleasure from time to time? I'm sure some of the SOG guys would probably laugh with me at my statement. You think they were choir boys? Pa-lease.

"Not the appropriate time for such an observation. I'm sure those at CCN or other bases would NOT appreciate this comment and imagery it projects"

Please explain this statement. You think SOG guys didn't get raging drunk after missions and/or liked to visit the local house of pleasure from time to time? I'm sure some of the SOG guys would probably laugh with me at my statement. You think they were choir boys? Pa-lease.

No...but that's why I said it's not the appropriate time for your observation. I didn't say it wasn't true!