ERDL SOG JUNGLE JACKET

kammo-man

Guys

I was doing my rounds this morning and found a ERDL SOG shirt with a B-POSITIVE and a NOT -ALLERGIC set of tapes that were in-country made and applyed .

As you know this is in the fantasy relm of SOG items with only a handfull of surviving garments in existance .

The shirt is 69 dated and has been taken in for a slimmer fit .

There is damage to the collar and front of the jacket .

Enjoy

owen

post-2009-1252707586.jpg

And here is one of the tapes up closer .

This jacket has been taken in for a slimmer fit but has NEVER had sleeve pockets or any zippered sections .

You cannot have it all can you .

The both usualkl tags are present to the inside .

I turned the garment inside out but found no name .

There is a #4 in the info tag .

post-2009-1252707706.jpg

Very happy for you, that's a really great find! You've here an highly desirable jacket.

Unfortunately for some people, if it's not coming straight from the vet it'll be always consider as a suspect item.

However for me, great find!

Cheers

Valery

Well done son, you definitely have the luck of the Irish.

"Unfortunately for some people, if it's not coming straight from the vet it'll be always consider as a suspect item."

Valery...why did you EVEN make this statement?

Owen,

that is truely a super rare SOG item, right up there w/ 1-0 jacket, One-Zero vests and One- Zero hats!!! Over the fence and duty jackets are truely one rare item since most vets dont hold onto them, paint in em, fix the cars in em or give em to the local kids!!! truely truely a one of a kind piece!!!!

Bravo!!!!

paul

And here is one of the tapes up closer .

This jacket has been taken in for a slimmer fit but has NEVER had sleeve pockets or any zippered sections .

You cannot have it all can you .

The both usualkl tags are present to the inside .

I turned the garment inside out but found no name .

There is a #4 in the info tag .

Owen,

You are very lucky having this nice jacket, so jealous :D ... that means that SOG also used ERDL camo for their mission, more than we were told. and the story about sterile stuffs (like removed tag...) until the end of the war might be a urban legend...

I suspect this is more of an "in camp" type shirt....one that may be under guerilla-type attacks on a regular basis. Just a guess.

Also, the use of these tapes is not limited to SOG.

Steve

vintageproductions

Okay, I got to see Owen's rocking shirt today. For those of you who want to know what a real piece looks like, just study the photos. When you hold this one in your hands it just "talks".

Okay, I got to see Owen's rocking shirt today. For those of you who want to know what a real piece looks like, just study the photos. When you hold this one in your hands it just "talks".

I dont need to hold it to say that this shirt rocks !

This the ultimate SF jacket along with Jerome's modified first type.

vintageproductions

Andrei-Owen showed it to Spikey and myself at the same time. We were both impressed and you know how jaded Mike and I can be. The strips are truly incredible. That is one of the few Vietnam uniforms, that I have never owned. I have owned 5 1-0 jackets, 3 1-0 vests, lots of advisory uniforms, etc, but nothing like this.

Thanks Guys for the input on this super jacket .

In hand it has a great worn in look it it that only wear can give .

So it was worn alot by its original owner.

As Cop stated it still has its labels giving way to the sterile thoughts that we always took for gospel .

Getting lucky in militaria collecting involves putting many miles on your car and doing alot of talking ...I just happened to be in the right place and right time on this one .

Also in the same buy I got an ARVN cut shirt in Brown ERDL , a reguiar ERDL mint shirt , a couple of utility shirts with cool patches and a nice USMC 1950s cover !!!!

What a day .

Having said that I walked the flea market all day yesterday and found nothing .

I seen plenty of things , but it all seemed rough !!!

RP , who else took to wearing these type of tapes ?

I am not a patch guy so fill me in on the info , thanks

owen

"Also, the use of these tapes is not limited to SOG."

I'd like to see/hear examples of this. SOG are the only ones I've seen/heard about.

Seeing that jacket up close, that thing is right as rain and definitely NOT something worn around camp, why would ANYBODY put these kinda tapes on a jacket that is just gonna be worn around some compound.

To be honest, Valery's comment still irks me.....

I have to agree with Steve on this one. Not saying it is not authentic, but probably a camp worn shirt. Especially since it is ERDL. I have plenty of photographs of this type of badged shirt, but all are worn in camp and no photographs of them worn in the field.

But WHY would someone wear these tapes on a shirt that is just gonna be worn at camp? Maybe to help out if the guy is passed out, face down in his own puke drunk or has a case of the clap?

First off, for the record, I don't have a "dog in this fight" nor do I have any interest in VN era uniforms (except for one that came from an SF Veteran and close friend of mine). That being said, why does it seem that everytime someone posts something rare, exotic, cool, neat, spiffy or something seldom seen...people line up to "poo-poo" it? This can be said for painted helmets, Class-A's, jump jackets, patches, pins, medals, cammo...name it. The fact is, awesome stuff does exist and simply because you may not be the "owner" of it doesn't make it bad, questionable or fake. It just gets tiresome after a while. Why can't people just enjoy this stuff for what it is when it comes from reputable sources?

Nice find Owen, in my non-VN experienced opinion.