ERDL SOG JUNGLE JACKET

kammo-man

shawnmt6601

A great up-date to an old thread !

To all who did not believe then heres the proof .

owen

I thought it was common knowledge now a days among anyone who studies SOG to any serious degree , that SOG used ERDLs lateer in the war

I have seen the pictures posted in this thread before,, But I have also seen other pictures of SOG / Task Force Advisory wearing ERDLs on in country missions later in the war. There is no doubt they used it I also have no doubt SOG personnel sometimes wore Tigers on missions despite popular opinion

Yes you are right Shawn,

It has been discussed in numerous threads on here about different uniforms worn by the SOG recon teams, namely erdl and ts.

Now whether that be modified or not It's just that there isn't heaps or rather as much photographic evidence of erdl and ts being worn on "ops" as opposed to OGs and indigenous uniforms.

Lots of tigers where being worn in the hatchet forces.

Just to name one but with the advent of Hardy and his excellent macv SOG books plus the exhaustive research he puts into those books more evidence has come to light.

it obviously did happen and I was just posting the pics to keep an interesting thread alive.

Photographic evidence would suggest that it became more mainstream later in the war whether thats because of ease of supply or for the better camoflague offered by non OG garments.

I did however read in one of the many SOG books that they preferered the OG fatigues to the cam stuff because if seen and challenged by an NVA soldier whilst wearing erdl or TS you would be instantly pinned as U.S. Where the OGs would possibly confuse the enemy for even just a split second.

I've been scouring the Internet and most books I have for more pics and have found a couple more but a majority of teams just rolled OGs along with as you know ciso uniforms.

Cheers

Ryan

shawnmt6601

Yes you are right Shawn,

It has been discussed in numerous threads on here about different uniforms worn by the SOG recon teams, namely erdl and ts.

Now whether that be modified or not It's just that there isn't heaps or rather as much photographic evidence of erdl and ts being worn on "ops" as opposed to OGs and indigenous uniforms.

Lots of tigers where being worn in the hatchet forces.

Just to name one but with the advent of Hardy and his excellent macv SOG books plus the exhaustive research he puts into those books more evidence has come to light.

it obviously did happen and I was just posting the pics to keep an interesting thread alive.

Photographic evidence would suggest that it became more mainstream later in the war whether thats because of ease of supply or for the better camoflague offered by non OG garments.

I did however read in one of the many SOG books that they preferered the OG fatigues to the cam stuff because if seen and challenged by an NVA soldier whilst wearing erdl or TS you would be instantly pinned as U.S. Where the OGs would possibly confuse the enemy for even just a split second.

I've been scouring the Internet and most books I have for more pics and have found a couple more but a majority of teams just rolled OGs along with as you know ciso uniforms.

Cheers

Ryan

you know what?

in some cases, I think the use of the camo was relaxed and seen as less of an issue later in the war, the same way SOG was eventually given authorization to use US weapons in Cambodia after the years went on

after a while a US uniform, camo being easy to ID as a US uniform in particular was not in itself 100 proof of US troops being in Cambodia. same as with the weapons. the thought being that by later in the war, enough capture or stolen US material was in PAVN hands that it would be expected for it to turn up in their sanctuaries. and of course later in the way when they did in country missions, it would obviously not been a case of needing to be covert

I have thought about this a lot and I have to see anyone else offer the same idea up, though it seems obvious to me

• 2 weeks later...

Shawn,

I think you're on the right track and i think we are sort of saying the same thing as you definitely see more US camo being worn as the war progressed but id like to hear what others think as well.