Nylon Sling, 1960s?

tsellati

I have read that the soft nylon weave and greenish cadmium fittings are from an Army contract ca. 1975, but although the writer was very credible, he didn't provide any reference. The photo he did provide showed a coarser weave in the sling than your pic but the same greenish fittings. I have personally handled the sling type that you show when I was in the Army (starting in the late '70's after Vietnam), and am familier with the very soft feel of that particular type. However, I never knew when they were manufactured or initially fielded.

The best I can do is to say that from your photo, the sling appears original USGI, but I can't say for sure it's manufacture date. Maybe one of the other forum members can provide more / better info.

I have read that the soft nylon weave and greenish cadmium fittings are from an Army contract ca. 1975, but although the writer was very credible, he didn't provide any reference. The photo he did provide showed a coarser weave in the sling than your pic but the same greenish fittings. I have personally handled the sling type that you show when I was in the Army (starting in the late '70's after Vietnam), and am familier with the very soft feel of that particular type. However, I never knew when they were manufactured or initially fielded.

The best I can do is to say that from your photo, the sling appears original USGI, but I can't say for sure it's manufacture date. Maybe one of the other forum members can provide more / better info.

I appreciate the information you have provided. It is very interesting that you have the sling pegged in terms of the nylon being silky soft. I do have another post-WWII canvas webbing M1 Garand sling with blackened metal parts (Korean War vintage?) that I thought might look better on the rifle, but, since I will be using the rifle in an Appleseed Shooting clinic I decided to place utility over looks. I have heard the nylon slings are superior in some respects to the older canvas webbing ones.

Tim

I have heard that they were made in the early 60's for the M14, but I have no proof of that.

Yep, I've heard the same hearsay :think: .

Tim

While not exactly iron-clad confirmation, I did come across this listing (http://www.rcarms.com/36.html) for a Vietnam-era M1 Garand sling that looks identical to mine. It is the very last sling in the list and is described as a "USGI Issued Type 4 M1 Rifle sling. USed on Vietnam Era M1 Garands, M14, and M16 rifles.".

Here is a picture of it -

post-2-0-85455200-1448255228.jpg

Looks like this company has quite a nice selection of slings for various rifles from different time frames.

Tim

Earliest date I have seen on the nylon slings pulled from our unit's inventory was 1964. Still in the package! The Co took that one home.....

This could just be an air force thing with the early issue date, but who knows......

Hey Gang!- As I recall our unit was issued both web and nylon slings. Keep in mind the sling was strictly utilitarian. We had a sling and that's what counted. I do recall not particularly caring for the nylon because it stretched and loosened when tightened down. I believe we finally started to get the M16 "Silent Slings" in the mid-70's. Hope I could help. SKIP

The nylon M1 slings were developed in the early 1960's and started being issued in the mid 1960's. The nylon was adapted to the sling to help fight jungle rot that deteriorated the canvas slings. However, as with anything in the U.S. military, older slings would continue to see issue throughout the 1960's and 1970's. Green nylon had been replaced by black by the 1980's. However while I was in the Marines in the late 1980's, we were issued at various times a mixture of black and green styles, with many of the black ones also being of a canvas type material.

Semper Fi, Rob

• 7 months later...

It took me some time to find this old post...!!

I bought a M14 a few months back and I plan on adding it to an early 1960's look. From what I have read, i'm thinking a web, WWII-Korean War style sling would be correct??

Thanks,

1A291E

El Bibliotecario
I believe it is, but, I would like to confirm whether this is in fact a Vietnam-era nylon M1 Garand sling.

leftforestock.jpg

leftmidsection.jpg

VietnameranylonM1Garandsling.jpg

Tim

Looks to me like the standard sling I saw attached to about a gazillion M16A1s in the '70s

Looks to me like the standard sling I saw attached to about a gazillion M16A1s in the '70s

Yep, that is not surprising to hear. Seems like the green nylon sling was issued during the 60s and up through the 70s until it was replaced by a black version in the 1980s.

Tim

The nylon slings are too slippery, especially the "hard weave" ones, in my opinion. The cotton web slings or leather M-1907 type slings work better for the position work you'll be doing at the Appleseed.

At the bottom it has a heading marked ,Slings. It looks like the sling in question was for a M14. Back in '67 the slings on the M14 we had were post war Garand slings if my memory serves me correctly.