Mills 1st Pattern Haversack

New Romantic

New Romantic

This super rare haversack is currently on eBay, and is probably the 2nd time I've seen one- I own the other.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-WW-I-WW-II-HAVERS...1QQcmdZViewItem

This one looks okay, and it's a very hard to find item for WWI collectors. I paid close to $300 for mine and I'd love to see what this one will go for.

post-599-1179272841.jpg

Frankie G.

Check out my US World War I Site,

[web URL removed because the domain expired and may lead to a compromised website. This member is no longer active or collecting to the best of our knowledge.] - USMF ADMIN TEAM

MattOravik

Oooh baby that has an eagle snap on the meatcan pouch! The pouches I have don't. Plus this one is marked and dated. I may try and get this. Thanks for the heads up, I would have missed it.

-Matt.

I'm always looking to buy old sets of bagpipes

New Romantic
hello!!!!

great item!!!!!

how many can it cost in your mind???????????? :rolleyes:

Theres no telling how high this will go for. Lately there had been some insane bids for early M1910 gear, in most cases $150-$200 more than the items can be bought for from dealers. There was a rimmed eagle snap map case which went for $300+ when I've seen it less than $150 elsewhere. A rimmed eagle snap pistol magazine pocket was about the same. So this will be an interesting auction.

Frankie G.

[web URL removed because the domain expired and may lead to a compromised website. This member is no longer active or collecting to the best of our knowledge.] - USMF ADMIN TEAM

New Romantic
Oooh baby that has an eagle snap on the meatcan pouch! The pouches I have don't. Plus this one is marked and dated. I may try and get this. Thanks for the heads up, I would have missed it.

-Matt.

On the eagle snap pouch, last year Keystone and I had a discussion on this and we came to the conclusion that only Mills made haversacks with the snap vs. RIA which used the tack button so commonly seen.

Another note of interest is that the 1912 Mills haversack in the auction appears to have square ends on the suspenders attached to the body. The seller doesn't have a good photo of the back of the haversack but I can see the square ends at the top of the photo showing the Mills logo and date. My 1911 haversack has rounded suspender ends.

post-599-1179316359.jpg

post-599-1179316501.jpg

Frankie G.

MattOravik

It's already over $200, up to $500 maybe?

-Matt.

New Romantic
It's already over $200, up to $500 maybe?

-Matt.

It's well past what I paid for mine, and mine is minty.

I wonder if there are matching pack carriers for the Mills haversacks out there and if they are marked Mills.

Frankie G.

hello!!!!

very good question morals and decadence!!!!!!!

i never seen mills pack carrier!!!!

but i think if mills made haversacks they certainely made the packs carriers................it's probably no?????????

New Romantic
hello!!!!

very good question morals and decadence!!!!!!!

i never seen mills pack carrier!!!!

but i think if mills made haversacks they certainely made the packs carriers................it's probably no?????????

In the 1914 Mills equipment catalogue a Haversack and Pack carrier set would cost $4.00. The pack carrier by itself would have been $1.00.

Frankie G.

And when I think to all the stuff who stayed on the battlefield.......

Hereunder is a picture from a wood near Belleau Wood, It is titled German equipment abandonned, but if you look close ( I don't know if I scanned enough quality to do it ....!!) But most of the stuff are US and probably USMC back pack, pack carrier, it is also a US raincoat, etc...and some german clothes and equipment......

I went to do research there, and found only hundred of buckles......some good russet shoes, and shoes model 1917, and mess kit, bayonets, buttons USMC, etc...It was already a long time ago......

Best,

Hellwood

post-687-1179427911.jpg

New Romantic

The auction has ended at $396. Not bad, I thought it would go for more. Did anyone here win it?

There is another 1st pattern haversack on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-WWI-GI-Field-Gear-L...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks to be a RIA haversack, not as rare as the Mills but still a very hard to find piece of gear for the WWI collector. This haversack lacks the meatcan pouch but those pop up every now and then.

Frankie G.

MattOravik

I decided not to bid even though I really wanted! I demonstrated self control!

-Matt.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.