1950's & 60's USAF pilot's helmets, flight suits & more

Bob Hudson

As mentioned, I was able to pick up the bulk of this before the estate sale began, but I just had reached the limit of my funds so I left a few things behind. Today I went back to the last day of the sale to see what I could pick up at bargain prices.

Here's some nice mementos, a silver-plated mug, some lighters (none of them Zippos (: ) and an ashtray that seems to have an actual pair of wings mounted on it:

personal_cup.jpg

personal_lighters.jpg

And the backsides:

personal_lighters2.jpg

personal_ash.jpg

I found a plethora of plotters and dead reckoning/flight computers including one designed specifically for the T-33.

gear_plotters.jpg

I have no idea what this is, but it has some heavy duty clips presumably to clip it on to something in the cockpit:

gear_tray.jpg

That will be interesting to learn, for sure. 1944 would qualify him for WWII.

The rack showing a ADSM would suggest service starting not later than 1941, of course.

I'll keep checking in.

Was able to include a Bronze for him on the Remembrance, based on you showing that certificate.

I found this ribbons chart among his things:

insignia_chart.jpg

I found this ribbons chart among his things:

post-214-1252981287.jpg

Wow... I'll go back and check that against what I put up for him, and make the proper corrections.

(later edit)

Got 'er done, thanks very much.

Several very important changes came from that and got it squared away. He hadn't shown the AF Longevity medal, which he certainly earned, so I put that in for him too.

If you visit it, see what you think.

WOW, great stuff still coming out of this grouping.

Awesome.

I have a neighbor on the airfield here in Maryland where I live that was a C-141 Pilot at that same time Conroy was. I am going to show him some of this data. I talked with him yesterday, and he is going through his Squadron stuff to see if Conroy is listed. My friend flew C-123's in Nam, then Connies, then C-141 and C-5 to retirement in 1987. He came in 1955. Their paths have crossed for sure.

He has been on travel to the Northwest and is back tonight. I will fire up his computer and show him this thread.

Great work on the Togetherweserved web page!!

r/Gunny Dan :thumbsup:

Wow... I'll go back and check that against what I put up for him, and make the proper corrections.

(later edit)

Got 'er done, thanks very much.

Several very important changes came from that and got it squared away. He hadn't shown the AF Longevity medal, which he certainly earned, so I put that in for him too.

If you visit it, see what you think.

I went to the link you provided but it asked for login info.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
jorgeaguilera
There are a couple of the N-2B parkas, one of which still has a so-called "cutter's tag."

post-214-1252556335.jpg

post-214-1252556350.jpg

There's an AF raincoat and windbreaker jacket

post-214-1252556394.jpg

post-214-1252556404.jpg

Those N-2b jacket are beautiful!!!!

The grouping includes two MBU-5/P oxygen masks with an unusual twist: they have a quick release mechanism that allows them to drop away from the face without have to unfasten the mask connections to the helmet:

post-214-1252862934.jpg

post-214-1252862951.jpg

The black tip on the right side of the mask below is the release mechanism. Pull that out and it allows you to lift a lever and release tension on the mask straps.

post-214-1252862975.jpg

Each of the masks has one of these quick release mechanisms but I can really find no info on them. They have a part number of ASSY. NO. 450-375 and are made by Sierra Eng.

Those will also fit the grey headsets, too. That where I've seen those O2 mask fittings before. My squadron had them, as quick-don masks, just before I transferred in. They were no longer issued, but I saw a couple of old crewmembers with them (people sometimes stay in Reserve squadrons for decades). Later I picked up a couple of sets at a local surplus store.

I also thought I saw a helmet/mask like that on a mannequin in an F-105 at the Air Force Museum about 10 - 15 years ago.

• 7 years later...
  • 5 years later...