WWII B-25 Prop Blade

JDK

I got this about 4 months ago. It's supposedly a NOS wartime B-25 prop blade. Apparently it was not used due to the minor denting on the leading edge. There's a few scratches here and there, but otherwise it's in real nice shape. I have always wanted one, so when I got the chance to buy this, I jumped at it. I saw the military stamps at the base which includes a contract number. It looks like the real deal to me. I paid $250 for it which I thought was a very good price. I put it in my WWII aviation themed bar in my basement. My wife rolled here eyes when I bought it, but now that it's in the bar, she likes it! :lol:
I really don't know anything about WWII props, so what do you guys think?
It measures roughly
10" wide and 66" tall
Thanks,
JD

1.post-2901-0-62646600-1399925648.jpg

2.post-2901-0-01689000-1399925656.jpg

3.post-2901-0-99895900-1399925679.jpg

4.post-2901-0-13781100-1399925695.jpg

Very cool! I love everything in that corner, the plane panel, the propeller, the model airplane, the picture...... I don't know anything about WWII props either but I think yours is definitely a great addition! ...Kat

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the nice comments.

Steve,

The B-25 was a great plane. You should be very proud of your grandfathers service. If I ever find another one, I'll be sure to keep you in mind!

JD

just-a-good-ole-boy
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the nice comments.

Steve,

The B-25 was a great plane. You should be very proud of your grandfathers service. If I ever find another one, I'll be sure to keep you in mind!

JD

Yes I am very proud. I just wish I had more interest in history when I was younger so he could have told me about his missions. He is now 92 years old and has lost the ability to speak. He is no doubt one of the greatest men I know. Thanks JD! :thumbsup:

Steve

JD,

For sure a really nice prop. It is from a B-25J according to the Contract No. and time frame for that number.

On the prop hub root you see the numbers stamped down there:

MFG No. NKSB 1864

CONT NO. W535 AC 25049

I believe those numbers represent Hamilton Standards mfg code, and the contract number is W - War Department, 535, AC - Air Corps then the sequential number from the original contract let 25049.

Makes it about a mid 1944 run. Unless I have screwed my numbers all up, but I have worked with a ton of blades and this one looks right on the money.

Nice add to the Bar for sure.

JD,

For sure a really nice prop. It is from a B-25J according to the Contract No. and time frame for that number.

On the prop hub root you see the numbers stamped down there:

MFG No. NKSB 1864

CONT NO. W535 AC 25049

I believe those numbers represent Hamilton Standards mfg code, and the contract number is W - War Department, 535, AC - Air Corps then the sequential number from the original contract let 25049.

Makes it about a mid 1944 run. Unless I have screwed my numbers all up, but I have worked with a ton of blades and this one looks right on the money.

Nice add to the Bar for sure.

Awesome! Thanks a ton for the info!!!! I really appreciate it!!! I was hoping that someone here would have an idea on the year it was made.

Thanks again!

JD

JD,

No worries. the numerous inspector stamps around the hub, tell me she might have been installed and possibly flown, before being retired for the dings.

Not sure. Prop ser #'s are hard to figure when they flew as there were so many made for the war. also, the B-25 went on in service after the war as station hack aircraft. Instrument trainers and the like.

r/Gunny

JD,

No worries. the numerous inspector stamps around the hub, tell me she might have been installed and possibly flown, before being retired for the dings.

Not sure. Prop ser #'s are hard to figure when they flew as there were so many made for the war. also, the B-25 went on in service after the war as station hack aircraft. Instrument trainers and the like.

r/Gunny

Thanks again. The guy I bought it from didn't really seem to know much about it either. I think his best guess was that it was NOS. Used or not, I really enjoy it. Thanks to your info, I can tell my visitors alot more about it while enjoying a brewsky! :thumbsup:

Glad to help. When I was stationed in Yuma, AZ, and yes it is very close to He** there, I used to go hunting for old props that the farmers had on wind machines. Great fun! could always get 'em cheap. I found a few airworthy and few not so airworth but it was always an adventure.

In one day I found four F8F Bearcat blades and two Curtis Electric P-38 blades. Farmer said you might as well take both boy....the other don't work it goes the wrong way......well he didn't realize the P-38 had counter-rotating props.

I nearly broke my hand when i got my $25.00 bucks out of my pocket...............FOR BOTH!

r/Gy