Wooden Toy "Cannon"

siege1863

I have been wanting to add a few more toys to my WWII homefront collection. Of particular interest are the toys made from wood, cardboard, sawdust and glue, that replaced the pre-war toys made using metal and rubber. I lucked up on this fine example of a wooden "cannon." The barrel elevates and recoils; the gun assembly swivels; the wheels roll; and the trails open and close. The only metal to be found on the piece are a few very small wood screws and a brad. The o.d. green finish was brushed on as was the black detail for the tires. Total length is about 12". Unfortunately, the camera has exagerated the flat finish of the paint.

post-211-1179195260.jpg

post-211-1179195307.jpg

post-211-1179195359.jpg

I do not know what it is about old toys but I find them to be fascinating. I guess at heart we never really grow up. :D

Love the cannon friend. thumbsup.gif

Steve

• 8 months later...

Today I received a message regarding this post. A user was just passing in and wanted to provide the following:

StephenR's cannon was made 1942-45 by Langmark. I have one but with different wheels. Cheers. JM

Actually, I believe this is a pre-war kit of the 155mm gun marketed by StromBecKer. Although mine has different wheels from one identified example, all other components are identical. A website with the history of the company is linked below. In the section under "AIRPLANES, SHIPS, ARTILLERY, & A TANK," you will see an unassembled kit of the 155mm gun.

http://www.collectair.com/strombecker.html

Thanks for posting the StromBecKer link. That was straight down memory lane for me...my first model kits were StromBecKer freight cars, airplanes and ships in late 1940s...all left behind in early 1950s when I abandoned wooden models for the "realism" of Aurora plastic kits. (n.b. My first Aurora was the Me-109, now offered for sale to collectors at $950.00 (link here). I am pretty sure mine cost much less than $1.00).

• 5 years later...

Siege this toy is almost a perfect copy of the US Mod. 1918 155mm piece. Which was a copy of the French Mod. 1917. There is a real one sitting on the Court House lawn in Marks, MS about 150 to 200 miles north of you. This is a neat little toy!

Thanks.

Ronnie

marks'militaria

Not as neat as my cannon from mid 1930's Germany.Has the original elevation screw, the spring latch that is still nimble, and all 6 of the wood carved *shells*

Approx 26''

post-7411-0-19510700-1390017084.jpg

post-7411-0-93289900-1390017125.jpg

Seems like this has turned into a "my cannon is bigger then your cannon" thread.

Both of these would have made great toys back in the day (even today!) and would compliment any toy soldier display.

Thanks for sharing!

• 2 years later...
AndrewAnten
Hi,
You own a nice collection of wooden toys. This piece is crafted in very accurate and precise manner. Thanks for sharing with us. I’m also a hobbyist and love to collect wooden ship models. They give me a great feeling and also an exposure to previous ship designs. These ship models look lovely when showcased on office or home space. If you also have same interest to collect wooden ship kits, then you can buy them online. Reasonable prices and beautifully crafted pieces are available online.