WW2 LST-393 Photo Tour - Muskegon, MI Aug.2009

MWalsh

Wow, I felt like I just took the tour of the entire ship minus the cool lake breeze hitting me on the face once upon the deck! :D Many thanks sir for posting all the photos you took of the LST.

One can get better acquainted with the LST for when the new Band of Brothers sequel comes out which will show some LST's unloading Marines. Can't wait!

- Jeff

I live 42 miles from her, just up the Muskegon River on Croton Pond. I've never been on her. Thanks for the great pictures MW. I'm going to have to get over there at take a tour. Its only $5.

The preservation association web page is: http://www.lst393.org/index.html

Again, thanks for the thread MW.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

I live 42 miles from her, just up the Muskegon River on Croton Pond. I've never been on her. Thanks for the great pictures MW. I'm going to have to get over there at take a tour. Its only $5.

The preservation association web page is: http://www.lst393.org/index.html

Again, thanks for the thread MW.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

Definately go! It's worth the money! I coud have spent at least half a day there, and would have loved a guided tour too - but didn't have time as I needed to get to the other end of town to check out the USS Silversides and the USCGC McLean too. Those are both well worth the price of admision to, as is the Great Lakes Naval Memorial & Museum they are part of.

MW

It was beautiful weather when I saw the LST in August. One of the things I did not take advantage of when I was there was their movie night. They have alarge movie screen raised up, in front of the bridge actually, and they show movies on it on summer nights! For little or nothing we could have watched the old war movie they had playing that night - but me being the candy&%$ I have become as I have gotten older, I wanted to just hit the hotel and hit the rack instead! :thumbdown:

Wish I had taken in a flick on deck - just to say I got to.

MW

• 6 years later...

Excellent tour, thanks for taking the time to post these. I missed it the first time around. It takes a LOT of money, hard work and dedication to take on a project like this and keep it going. Money from tours probably hardly pays the electricity bill.

BKW

Corporal Kang 0311

Thanks for sharing the photos. My great uncle was on LST 609, now I have an idea of what the inside looks like. Thanks for sharing.

I had a relative who was on one in the 1960s, and I have read about them so often in various books where people reference having been stationed on one, transported on one, etc, so it's a very iconic sort of ship I think, as they are seen in so many photos and noted in so many peoples wartime experiences.

I would love to go back and just wander for a few hours again.

Glad I took the time to look at these. Excellent pictures! Someday I'll post some of the ships I've toured. I'd also love to go on a Great Lakes tour and see all the wonderful marine museums. Growing up in San Diego it's hard to imagine all the naval connections the Great Lakes area has. To me it was always this vast, mysterious place called the "Midwest" with endless cornfields and brutal winters. Anyway, regarding the pictures the structure above the bridge is almost certainly the signal shack. The thing that intrigued me the most was the picture showing the whistle/bell signals. I thought at first it was directions for line handlers but I think it must be signals to boats alongside.