Navy Radioman Rating Badges

llafoe

I'm assembling a collection of Navy Radioman Rating Badges. If you have any special examples in your collection that you'd like to share... can you post an image of them here?

I used to be able to post Wanted ads on this Forum. I just spent a year in Iraq and am off for 14 months in Afghanistan... does my ability to post disappear after a predetermined absence? Does anyone have any Navy Radioman Rating Badges for sale?

Captainofthe7th

Hi,

I have a few different rates at home. Nothing spectacular, but i will post when I have a chance. One in particular has very thick embroidery...probably 1.5 to 2 times the thickness of regular embroidery on the rates. My grandfather was a radioman in WWII, so that's where my interest comes from. I'm glad someone else likes it too!

Rob

Hi,

I have a few different rates at home. Nothing spectacular, but i will post when I have a chance. One in particular has very thick embroidery...probably 1.5 to 2 times the thickness of regular embroidery on the rates. My grandfather was a radioman in WWII, so that's where my interest comes from. I'm glad someone else likes it too!

Rob

Rob, that thick rate sounds like the crows they made during the Seventies when we were all in the CPO style uniforms. Big, thick gastley things that were universally dispised. Most guys would go find crows made on fabric out in town tarher than put those huge gloppy things on their sleeves.

Steve Hesson

Captainofthe7th

It's a RM 2/c rate, and it is a WWII rate, I guarantee it! It's not sloppy or ugly at all! In fact I like it better than the other issue rates I've seen.

Rob

It's a RM 2/c rate, and it is a WWII rate, I guarantee it! It's not sloppy or ugly at all! In fact I like it better than the other issue rates I've seen.

Rob

OK, I understand. The ones I am talking about were fully embroidered with a polyester (it was the '70s) thread and a really thick edge. They came in first second and third class because they were much too thick to trim off like the ones we were used to. Made it tough at advancement time as the exchange would inevetibly run out of one grade or the other.

Steve Hesson

Here some of my navy radioman ratings.

Pre ww2 cpo bullion Radioman rate

post-2501-1252447726.jpg

Pre ww2 Radioman 2nd class

The lighting bolts are facing down

post-2501-1252448228.jpg

Jason

Salvage Sailor
Rob, that thick rate sounds like the crows they made during the Seventies when we were all in the CPO style uniforms. Big, thick gastley things that were universally dispised. Most guys would go find crows made on fabric out in town tarher than put those huge gloppy things on their sleeves.

Steve Hesson

Aye Steve,

Like this one on my work jacket. They were so thick that we really could not use them on anything but the thick wool shirts or on jackets.

001.jpg

Here is an RM2 that I have had for some time not sure if it is Wave or Spar but am leaning toward Spar as it is a fairly light navy blue.

post-2723-1252636768.jpg

post-2723-1252636787.jpg

That 2nd Class in post number 9, has the radio sparks very similar to what was used by the Army back prior to 1920 on Electrician Sergeant's chevrons.

Here is one dated 1944 I got over last weekend. Picked up 12 different, and sure can use to be cleaned. He had them pined up a lot of years.

Tony

[This is radarman and looks like a good candidate for a bath in oxyclean (I use the cheap brand from the dollar store)

John]

Now that you mention it, it does look like a "Subic Special".

Steve Hesson

Steve,

Good eye.

When I was a Recruiter down in the Los Angeles area, I lived in Navy housing in both Long Beach and Los Alamitos and was able to start picking up Naval rates.

The Sailor I got this from said he picked it up at Subic Bay when he was stationed in the Philippines in the early 80s.

I agree with the faded part even though this is the first and only "brown" one I have ever seen.

Bill

Steve,

Good eye.

When I was a Recruiter down in the Los Angeles area, I lived in Navy housing in both Long Beach and Los Alamitos and was able to start picking up Naval rates.

The Sailor I got this from said he picked it up at Subic Bay when he was stationed in the Philippines in the early 80s.

I agree with the faded part even though this is the first and only "brown" one I have ever seen.

Bill

The thread they used to make them was not color fast and bleached out pretty quick. Especially in those laundries. Every thing washed on hot water, whites got bleach.

Steve Hesson

post-2104-1253244381.jpgHere is a Radio Electrician First Class crow. It is on e-bay (on a jumper) listed as Span-Am. However, even though the eagle is the 1886 pattern, the electricial globe was not adopted until 1898, and the radio sparks were not adopted until 1912. I have seen photos of these old crows in use along side the new ones, so this appears to be a case of using good "old' stock. Additionally , according to John Stacey, there was no reg governing the direction or the spark points, and those point down were just as likely as point across.

Steve Hesson

Here some of my navy radioman ratings.

Pre ww2 cpo bullion Radioman rate

post-2501-1252447726.jpg

Pre ww2 Radioman 2nd class

The lighting bolts are facing down

post-2501-1252448228.jpg

Jason

post-2104-1253244381.jpgHere is a Radio Electrician First Class crow. It is on e-bay (on a jumper) listed as Span-Am. However, even though the eagle is the 1886 pattern, the electricial globe was not adopted until 1898, and the radio sparks were not adopted until 1912. I have seen photos of these old crows in use along side the new ones, so this appears to be a case of using good "old' stock. Additionally , according to John Stacey, there was no reg governing the direction or the spark points, and those point down were just as likely as point across.

Steve Hesson

Steve,

I think the eagle's head is facing in the wrong direction on that jumper?

Jason

post-2104-1253281103.jpg

Steve,

I think the eagle's head is facing in the wrong direction on that jumper?

Jason

You are correct. It is on the left sleeve facing forward. I have seen this before, though not very often. The more I look at this crow, the more it looks like it is "Sailor Made". This too was a common pratice back "in the day". Maybe Dan can take a look.

Steve Hesson