Any Yarborough knife pics?

tsellati

I had the pleasure of handling a newly issued Yarborough knife yesterday and, I must say, it is quite an impressive knife :thumbsup: . Needless to say, not nearly as impressive as my colleague's son who just earned his Green Beret having completed SF training with a specialization in field medicine and Arabic (no surprise there ;)) . The most amazing thing is that he looks so young and you would not in a million years think he was Green Beret from looking at him.

Anyway, aside from drooling on the knife I did not want to be a total militaria "geek" and ask to take pictures, so instead, I figured I would ask whether any fellow board members have any photos to share. Photos of either the "real deal" serialed knives or the commercial Chris Reeve knives would be nice. Also, is there anyone that has used the knife (or are they strictly collectible) and, if so, in what context?

Finally, if the Yarborough knife is not typically taken into the field for use, what knife (knives) are found in use by Green Beret in the field?

Tim

Thanks for posting the links. Yep, I'm familiar with both those sites. The reason for my last question stems from the fact that I came across a review article on the Yarborough knife that was not particularly "kind" in its evaluation (http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/green_beret.html).

This is why I wondered about whether another knife is preferred by the SF in the field. I have heard quite good things about the Gerber LMK II ASEK and have one myself which I carry when hiking and camping.

MyGerberbaby.jpg

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
vintageproductions

Ever since this thread started I have been meaning to post these photos of my Yarbrough knife. This one belonged to a friend of mine who was in 7th group.

yar1.JPG

yar2.JPG

yar3.JPG

• 11 years later...

I was working at the school-house (United States Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare and School) in the early 2000's when the Yarborough came out. Since I'm an old timer I had to purchase my Chris Reeve/Bill Harsey 'Yarborough' knife; surprisingly it had a low serial number #0025. I think Chris Reeve and Bill Harsey were promoting the knife on Ft. Bragg around the same time period because I had a total chance encounter with them in a parking lot not knowing who they were. After a brief discussion, I secured my 'Yarborough' knife and handed it over to them to be signed by both Chris and Bill.   

CRK Yarborough 0025 a.jpg

CRK Yarborough 0025 b.jpg

CRK Yarborough 0025 c.jpg

CRK Yarborough 0025 d.jpg