First Flea market back from Iraq finds.

19delta-uav

Hey guys, Finally back in the U.S. and of course the flea market was among my first stops. Here are some of the items picked up. The first is a flare gun which I picked up for a couple bucks. I don't know a lot about it so if you can possibly shed any light that would be great. The next find was one of my girlfriends, these are two packs one made of canvas and the other of nylon. Both the same style pack and the same as the marines used durring wwii. I know abou the wwii marine packs, but these appear to be vietnam vintage. Can anyone tell me anthing more about these, or a possable value as I'm not sure if I wish to keep them in the collection. Thanks!

post-3881-1252296461.jpg

Welcome back. I think the a flare pistol is for air craft during WW II. Not sure of the value, but a couple of bucks is a good deal in any event. Not too sure about the value of the packs. Mostly just wanted to say that I am glad that you are back. :thumbsup:

Welcome home.

The packs look the M-1945 backpacks used all the way into the 50s and early 60s. I have one just like this myself.

That flare pistol would really be nice if cleaned up and for a couple of bucks you cant beat it.

Cobrahistorian

Welcome Home bro!

Still got that melton wool overcoat for ya too. ;)

Yep, those are Marine haversacks, which I don't know a whole lot about, but they were used up through the early Vietnam period.

Jon

Alrighty I did a little cleaning of the Flare pistol, and it is indeed an m-8 pyrotechnic pistol. It was cheap and I thought it looked military, I'm just glad it actually turned out to be military. Still can't find any markings on the packs though. I will post pictures of the flare pistol when the cleaning is complete.

Welcome back. I think the a flare pistol is for air craft during WW II. Not sure of the value, but a couple of bucks is a good deal in any event.

This is correct, it's a WW2 pistol used in air craft. The little nobs around the tip of the barrel were used to lock it into place on the walls of planes. I've seen them sell for between $100-$150 depending on the condition. I'd love to see some photos of how yours looks cleaned up, it looks a bit rough in the photos!

I am sure you are very happy to be home as there is no place like it, for sure not over there!

The packs are 3rd and 4th pattern M41 packs. Nice finds.. :thumbsup:

Just some additional information for the flare pistol you have there,

These were not only used by the U.S during ww2, but also by RAF aircrew flying U.S aircraft during the war.

I believe the flare was 37mm.

As far as I know, there were only two makers.

Hope this helps.

Duffy