Curled up flaps

LtRGFRANK

post-551-1252261306.jpg

I have this 9 pocket cartridge Belt 2nd pattern in OD green. Not it too bad shape except the pocket flaps are curled up. If I press them flat they just recurl. Any method to fix the problem? Steam Iron? It would display a lot better if I could get them flat again and maybe fold up packing paper and slip in the pockets. Any ideas of examples of displaying belts. Thanks in advance. Robert

Some here will want to put me up against the wall and shoot me for saying this but I am going to say it anyway.

Water, yes water is the best way and it works like a charm. Been using it for the last 20 years on WW1 & WW2 canvas field gear and it works!!! Make sure the canvas is not dry rotted and spray it with cold water using a garden hose with a spray nozzle. Make sure you only use low to medium water pressure and for goodness sake don't use hot or warm water. Saturate the canvas really well and rinse. Snap everything secure and position the flaps the way you would like and let air dry or use a fan on high.

Trust me this works like a charm.

Bryan

BTW, I was just outside spraying a light OD M1923 catridge belt with the waterhose when I ran across this post. :lol:

Captainofthe7th

I have not personally tried this, but to anyone afraid of using water on this old canvas, do not be afraid! It's cloth, it can get wet. Water is not harmful.

As a testament to 60 year old gear, I've been using the same cartridge belt for reenacting for 5 years. I bought it for $10 bucks at a gun show and I got what I paid for. This old thing used to be OD, it was white when I got it, all sewn up and torn. It had seen at least two wars of action. It finally broke at my last event, but believe it or not, through all the dirt, mud, water, rivers, rain, and abuse, the piece that broke was the steel buckle!

Rob

Worked a treat!!! Just for the record never use hot water as this will probably shrink it??

If cold water does the trick, or even warm water, I would stick to that. Hot water with cotton web gear is probably not a good idea.