2AD Belgium&Holland Tour 2009

Johan Willaert

audacia cum prudentia

we've never had an Aussie ,Blake so that would be a first although Pete, one of our originlal guys moved to WA ( Perth ) and travels back over for the major events

General Apathy
Check out thjs fantastic promo video made by the other WarCo's/Correspondents

http://www.bcc-pictures.com/

spotted myself having a jerry-can shower and smoking a ciggy behind the typewriter

Hi Rick, that's a well put together ten minutes of video, it so encapsulates what we did. I believe the full video is around forty-five minutes or so, congratulations to all the ' Correspondents ' that worked so hard on the trip capturing all the images and video clips. :lol: :thumbsup: ;)

Talking of spotting yourself behind the typewriter, I was seen chopping carrots in the field kitchen area.

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1255557384.jpg

Hi Forum Members and possible 2nd Armored readers, During the trip we had several meetings with ten veterans of the 2nd Armored, the first being a surprise for them, whilst they were being greeted and feted by the town hall our vehicles were quietly driven in and parked around the town hall and then three squads of honor guard were paraded for their exit from the reception in the town hall. A truly magic moment when they appeared, followed by applause from the towns people. :lol: :thumbsup:

Another evening we caught up with them at a sports complex in Hasselt and presented each of the ten with a framed certificate with a photograph of their-selves back in WWII alongside a current photograph of them, a metal distinctive from their unit and topped off with a 2nd armored patch. The costs of these framed gifts paid for from 2nd Armored group funds and with the work of two members who put them together, John Arnold who did the graphics and certificate, Nick Heighes who arranged the frames and image surrounds and artistically assembled them. Ten members of the group were chosen to hand these to the veterans concerned. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

pleased to be associated with the 2nd Armored group and the liberation anniversary events ( troop No. 15 )

During these days, I had the opportunity to witness one of the most memorable if not the most memorable occasion I have ever seen and witnessed since my interest in WWII.

Because Maastricht was liberated 65 years ago there were all kinds of events. One of those was an exhibition in a local museum where I also showed a part of my collection.

On one evening after the museum closed I had the oppertunity to go drive and sail with a DUKW. There were a few other people and one of them was a 30th ID veteran. Some people may know him: Frank Towers. It was the first time for mr. Towers since 1945 that he sailed with a DUKW. It was just beautiful to be there and witness this.

It's very cool when you drive off the beach and into the water, just amazing. After we had sailed, we drove back with the DUWK to Maastricht to bring mr. Towers back to his hotel, almost in the centre of Maastricht!!

You had to see the faces of all the people when we drove by. They all thought, what is this..

Here some pics I shot.

2nkuf03.jpg

2j12bro.jpg

This is the DUKW at the exhibition.

w9jnuf.jpg

Note all that seaweed from the Maas river.

6zykqp.jpg

Cheers

Sorry for my bad English

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nick are the dates up for the Czech trip yet.....COUNT ME IN......plus 2 teenage "replacements"..my son and his friend Lee.....they have the correct kit and look the part.

My Jeep is coming...i have already told Jez

Regards and happy new year and new start

Lloyd

Nick COUNT ME IN......plus 2

happy new year

Maybe Count me too and plus maybe 2/3 guys but I would like to have info :crying:

Thanks

General Apathy
Maybe Count me too and plus maybe 2/3 guys but I would like to have info :crying:

Thanks

Hi Filthy, I just sent you some photo's you emailed me for from the 2nd Armored trip last September.

The trip in 2010 is being organised by Jez Marren and that's where you will need to get trip details, I will post his email contact details here tomorrow for all to see. ;)

Nick Heighes is taking a well deserved break from arranging the trips :thumbsup: , the 2010 trip has been taken on by Jez Marren. ;) Not that you or anyone else will miss my cooking but I might not be on the trip being part of Nick's crew.

Cheers Lewis

Hi Filthy, I just sent you some photo's you emailed me for from the 2nd Armored trip last September.

The trip in 2010 is being organised by Jez Marren and that's where you will need to get trip details, I will post his email contact details here tomorrow for all to see. ;)

Nick Heighes is taking a well deserved break from arranging the trips :thumbsup: , the 2010 trip has been taken on by Jez Marren. ;) Not that you or anyone else will miss my cooking but I might not be on the trip being part of Nick's crew.

Cheers Lewis

Hi Ken Thank you for the pics

If you have info is good in my email thanks

Thats bad you not on the trip :(

Filthy

General Apathy
Hi Ken Thank you for the pics

If you have info is good in my email thanks

Thats bad you not on the trip :(

Filthy

Hi Filthy, so here's the contact email address you need for details, just mention that you were on the Masstricht trip in 2009 and what vehicle number you travelled in C-??. :thumbsup:

[email protected]

Cheers Lewis