2AD Belgium&Holland Tour 2009

Johan Willaert

HI Johan,

Thank you for posting these photos. Its the first 2nd Armored trip I'm missing. I made the 99,00,04 and 06 trips, but really had no money this time. Good luck to all of you guys, I wish I were there :crybaby: Please keep posting as the group heads for Maastricht and beyond.

Tom Bowers

Just FYI the group depicted is the 2nd Armored in Europe. The group is primarily based in the UK with members and associates in Belgium, Germany, Holland and the United States. Founded by Jon and Peter Heyworth, the group is dedicated to protraying a complete armored reconnisance company as seen in the ETO during WWII. Vehicles and participants are organized to the TO&E in effect during that time and all of the vehicles are marked to reflect this organization.

Ground rules for participants are no farbs and no fat guys. Only period equiptment and vehicles make the trip. Max effort convoys are approximately 10 days in duration and there are no hotels. Living is rough. Tents barns and open air are expected. Latrines are where you can find them and if not, well you get the idea. A period style field kitchen provides meals. Most re-enactments are over when this one is just getting good. Much of the realisim of the photos is due to the fatigue and weathering visible on the faces of the participants.

There is simply nothing like this in the USA. The 1999 trip concentrated on the beaches in Normandy for the 55th anniversary. The 2004 trip followed the 2nd Armored's route from the Seine river to the Belgium/ Holland border (350 miles in 10 days in armored cars, jeeps halftracks and mototcycles). The 2006 trip followed the operation Cobra breakout in the Bocage and had 4 Stuart tanks including 2 brought over from the US just for the event.

Enjoy Johan's photos.

Tom Bowers

participant 99,00,04,06

Somebody asked some pics? :rolleyes:

A little update, tonight, they are at Genappe, these pics where made tuesday.

The group had problems with one of the M8's, it stayed behind in Galmaarden together with a willys.

The hope to see the M8 back tomorow evening (@ Hoegaarden)

But enough talk, here are some pics from me:

img1157w.jpg

img1158l.jpg

img1161kv.jpg

img1163y.jpg

Kind Regards, Vincent

Amazing. Utterly amazing.

There is simply nothing like this in the USA.
No question. I cannot imagine a similar event in the US. Then again, US Civil War groups do some pretty hard-core long events on those original battlefields. I think it’s more about the original locations than a mindset of where it’s taking place. Then again, I do have a really hard time imagining an American Group putting something like this on with more than just a few people.
I do see some bulky GIs among them though. :dry:
Maybe, but “bulky” to me is still historically acceptable. You can find plenty of original photos of guys who look like the men in these photos, especially in support units. I’m guessing the event’s cut off of large people is for the people who just really don’t look the part at all, the ones who have to special-order pants. In the US, you couldn’t have such an event if you cut out those folks as a high percentage of vehicle owners fit that mold (so to speak). That, and you’d probably be sued for “size discrimination” or something…

That's what I meant.

I am so tired of reading the same insults towards large people over and over again.

The US Army didn't recruit like the Waffen-SS, ok?

I know of a lot of photos depicting infantrymen, artillerymen, MPs, etc who were on the large size.

My good friend also was a tall and big guy and he got 2 PHs and 2 Bronze Stars.

But - according to some here - he didn't exist as "he was too fat for the Army". :pinch: :disgust:

In all, this is a nice project this group is putting together and I can't wait to see more photos of this.

Sorry for going a bit off topic here.

Erwin

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
That's what I meant.

I am so tired of reading the same insults towards large people over and over again.

The US Army didn't recruit like the Waffen-SS, ok?

I know of a lot of photos depicting infantrymen, artillerymen, MPs, etc who were on the large size.

My good friend also was a tall and big guy and he got 2 PHs and 2 Bronze Stars.

But - according to some here - he didn't exist as "he was too fat for the Army". :pinch: :disgust:

In all, this is a nice project this group is putting together and I can't wait to see more photos of this.

Sorry for going a bit off topic here.

Erwin

I agree as well. All reenactors cannot be 20 something skinny guys. Take a look at the photo of General McAurthur coming ashore in the PI. Behind him is a hefty dude in khaki's, probably weighing well over 250 pounds. Not to say that this was the average, it was likely the exception. While I don't condone guys adopting impressions based upon exceptional conditions, I do believe that reenactors should allow heftier guys in.

I've seen skinny young reenactors put less effort and less heart in their impressions than a hefty guy. Often the heftier guy has to put more physical effort into keeping up and as a result they work harder to do the same thing. I've seen them give out but never give up.

More often than not, the hefty guys realize that conditioning is part of reenacting and they start working out more. The will to be involved, included and respected can be life changing for some hefty guys. They start a conditioning program, lose weight and eat better.

Sure, they look puffy in their M42 jump suits, which Paratroopers of the time just didn't appear, but you can't discriminate based upon this criteria. Just an opinoin.

Rock

I would love to make it out to an event in Europe.

A lot of those guys put on a great show.

I find it funny that Europeans have something different about them. When I see French people, British people, German people, etc dressed as Americans there is just something "off". We (Americans) must hold ourselves differently or have different facial expressions or something.

I don't mean this in any bad way.

I notice the same thing with Americans who portray British. Something is just noticeably “off”

Does anybody else see this or is it just me :)

I would love to make it out to an event in Europe.

A lot of those guys put on a great show.

I find it funny that Europeans have something different about them. When I see French people, British people, German people, etc dressed as Americans there is just something "off". We (Americans) must hold ourselves differently or have different facial expressions or something.

I don't mean this in any bad way.

I notice the same thing with Americans who portray British. Something is just noticeably “off”

Does anybody else see this or is it just me :)

Yes, I agree. Most of the time, I’m rarely shocked to find that the people in the uniforms aren’t from that nationality. I remember at a re-enactment years ago, I just KNEW this one “German” guy was really German. I walked up and tried my best faltering college German on him. He look at me and in German (with a Bavarian accent, no less” asked how I knew he was really German. I couldn’t explain it, he just looked like he was.

Johan Willaert

Probably the fact that many European Re-enactors dressed as Americans don't even speak English...