USAAF Living History!

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

Figured I'd start a new thread on USAAF living history. I started in the hobby doing an AAF officer impression in about 1992. Since then I've done a number of other things, but have always kept an AAF kit to fall back on. I've now got a complete 9th AF fighter pilot kit but this is pretty much what I had back in 2000:

Normandy008.jpg

So come on, let's see your USAAF impressions!

Jon

I did AAF for several years (I’m a life member of the 91st BG association) and have some great photos of me in almost every kind of US aircraft out there. I’ve even got some air time in a few, got rides in a B-24, B-17 (more than one of them), P-51, T-6 among others. I don’t have hardly of these photos scanned and need to do so sometime. I still have my bomber crew impression tucked away in a closet in the toy room. The last time I wore it was when these first photos were taken. I still can fit into everything but I just don’t look the part of a bomber jock any more. In the first of these photos, I’m in the front row, kneeling, to the far right. I’m at the far right in the second one.

GroupB17.jpg

TableB17.jpg

A signature block from a war bird forum I used to use:

While not exactly USAAF, this photo was taken after my P-51 ride. I had been in a formation with two bombers and a fighter, we had buzzed the field at Tyndall AFB right before this. The flight suit was modern because it was very warn that day and I was worried that being buttoned up in wool and leather without any water would have been a bad thing as I had been wearing AAF stuff all day before that. The funny part was right after this, I got a ride back to my home with someone who’d gotten a ride on a B-24. We stopped in a McDonalds and two USAF F-15 pilots saw me wearing the modern issued flight suit with war bird patches on it and gave me grief, saying, “So, Top Gun, what did you fly today?” I looked at them matter-of-factly and said, “I came in on that P-51 that just buzzed your field an hour ago.” It’s the only time in my life a fighter pilot ever envied me for something!

Stang.jpg

What kills me is that a friend who flew for Delta years ago was in a pilot lounge at Heathrow and saw a British airplane magazine and said I was on the cover with a group of AAF guys. He didn’t grab it because he thought I already had a copy. To this day, I have no idea which one it was, but he swore it was me because of my face and the way the A-2 was painted.

OUTSTANDING PICS ALL. I portray a crew chief, I kinda got tired of all the aircrew types everywhere and NO ground crews. I will get some pics of our ground crew displays soon.

Scott

Since your pictures were taken in front of the "Boeing Bee", were they taken in Seattle? The "Boeing Bee" has been and is currently housed at Boeing's plant #2 on East Marginal Way S. in Seattle. I used to work at the Museum of Flight which owns the "Boeing Bee". We probably know a lot of the same people.

Since your pictures were taken in front of the "Boeing Bee", were they taken in Seattle? The "Boeing Bee" has been and is currently housed at Boeing's plant #2 on East Marginal Way S. in Seattle. I used to work at the Museum of Flight which owns the "Boeing Bee". We probably know a lot of the same people.
That was at Renton in 2003. It’s the last time I’ve worn my AAF impression, but it’s all still in my closet just in case.

• 1 month later...
Just dug up another phot of me, taken 2 hours before I really went up in this P-51:

ww2copy.gif

wow if that photo was in B&W id swear it was a real one!! even in color it looks like the old Kodac color cromium type film!!

Nice look!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul

I think by far this is my favorite, we had an inspection and of course I get my butt jumped for wearing my Brit BD as my dress jact while stateside. Of course I chewed back a little.

Scott

buttchewedagain.jpg

Here are a few from Midland Odessa.

Our maintennance area:

insideflyMO2.jpg

insideflyMO.jpg

In the enlisted barracks:

enlistedbarracks.jpg

Officer / senior NCO's

insideSNCOtent.jpg

insideSNCOtent2.jpg

Yup, and it was kind of cold there for us Arizona boys.

Scott

• 1 year later...
Cobrahistorian

I just found two of my all-time favorites, so I'm resurrecting this thread. This has got to be around 1998 or 1999, i don't remember when, but my friend Bob and I did a photo shoot with Panchito. Just awesome!

img055.jpg

img054.jpg

Air Corp WAC officer at the lost nations airshow 2007 or 8, back when I was blond :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/ww2c...08/DSC00023.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/ww2c...08/DSC00028.jpg

-Sarah

I'm surprised they let you stand on their shiny, highly polished airplane with your shoes on!

I'm surprised they let you stand on their shiny, highly polished airplane with your shoes on!

There is a square of carpet I am standing on in the first picture :)

-Sarah

Here are some photos of me dressed as a WASP over the years. Be warned that I'm a camera whore. :lol:

33wlapv.jpg

6sfa1f.jpg

9k8egy.jpg

e6dbhx.jpg

Crappy pic of my WASP blues at a WASP event in Sweetwater:

4mv7am0.jpg

As a WAC aircraft mechanic:

4tqk5rl.jpg

33ms6ms.jpg