POSSIBLE DUnHAM WWI WING ORIGINAL? cast reproduction

joshypogi

Good Evening

Here is a wing that might possibly be a Dunham Wing. This wing has a separately soldered US on it instead of being cast into the shield. The US appears to be made of Gold. From the side it looks like a two piece sandwiched together. The catch seems to be a C type.

Im no expert in the field and any comments are very much appreciated.

post-6682-1251867376.jpg

post-6682-1251867381.jpg

post-6682-1251867387.jpg

post-6682-1251867402.jpg

Hi,

I don't see a single thing I like about this wing. I strongly suspect it is a cast reproduction. Of course all the normal caveats apply with not having it in hand, etc. Still, looks like a poor casting to me. I wouldn't want to add it to my collection.

Patrick

:pinch:

This very badge was advertised on eBay as, "appears to be cast," which should have raised an eyebrow or two; however, the seller also said it was, "Made during the period.'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320414221689

You might have a case to get your money back, then again . . . maybe not. :think:

:pinch:

This very badge was advertised on eBay as, "appears to be cast," which should have raised an eyebrow or two; however, the seller also said it was, "Made during the period.'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320414221689

You might have a case to get your money back, then again . . . maybe not. :think:

I got to say that if real, I would expect a wing like this to go for well over 1500$. I was actually going to post it on the "fakes and reproductions" threads, but no one seems to be all that interested anymore.

PFrost

...but no one seems to be all that interested anymore.

Patrick,

I think everyone is just in the Summer collecting doldrums right now. I know I seem to be. I'm sure there would be interest :thumbsup:

As far as these wings go, I have to throw my lot in with those above. Same caveats apply, but to my eye, far too many casting flaws evident, and overall workmanship not up to Dunham's standards. Frankly, I was surprised they went as high as they did on ebay. If I were you, I would see about getting my money back.