Trench Art Canteens/Cups/Mess Kits.

MAS36

WWII USMC IWO JIMA 'Trench Art' Canteen.

I've had a dickens of a time getting the right lighting that would show the markings on this canteen. This afternoon, I think I finally got it.

This canteen belonged to a local 4th Division Iwo veteran. It's kinda crude compared to many trench art canteens, but it's the real-deal, and a cherished part of my collection.

His simple nararative of Iwo on the day of the landing tells a story.

Please feel free to add other USMC canteens and gear to this thread :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Paul

post-6057-1290389387.jpg

• 9 months later...

WWII Railway Service 'Trench Art' Mess Kit.

I was given this phenomenally well-documented mess kit yesterday. It is a L.F.&C. 1918-dated kit that saw service in WWII. It is engraved all over the lid and bottom with a record of the soldier's service! It comes with the customary utensils, all of which are engraved with the soldier's initials.

If anyone can help find any more info on this vet I would greatly appreciate it. His name is G. J. Robinson, last digits of the SN are 9793. And for all the places he engraved his name, I cannot find a full first name.

Here is what I can decipher on the lid:

"Italy" 44 Wisconsin "Tunisia" 43

"Rob" - 9793

Infantry 128

G. J. Robinson "Sgt"

Co. F. 128 McCoy - 1940

" " " La. Oct. 24, 1940

" " " Ga. Jan. TO Mar. 1941

" G " N. C. - Nov. 1941

" A 107 Dix - Jan. 1942

" D 112 Ireland - Mar. 1942

" F 112 Eng_Scot - Sept. 1942

" F 112 N. A. Algeria - Dec 6, 1942

522 Engr. Com. Co. Aug 11, 1943

Mil. Ry. Ser. Oct. 1943

And from the bottom:

First Enl. Apr. 1922

24th Sep. Co. U.S.N.G.

Reenl. Per. A.G. Order

Transf'd To W.N.G. Apr. '24

Co. F. 128th Inf. 32nd Division

R- 9793

Star "12"

Also featured are the Embarkation wheel and sharpshooter badge!

Hard to see, but the utensils are engraved with initials on the handles.

What confused me first is seeing 32nd Infantry associated with Tunisia and Italy, and thinking that they went to the PTO. In reading on Wikipedia though it looks like they initially prepared for the ETO and the 107th went to Fort Dix (as listed on the kit too). Somehow this guy did go to the ETO and wrote a fantastic history of his service.

All comments most welcomed and any research pointers appreciated! Thank you!

-Johannes

RustyCanteen

Looks like a nice one, and from a railway unit to boot; not too common.

RC

To add, after re-reading this, It's confusing but it appears to me he was with a railway unit?

Thats a nice one.I have something similiar from WW1.

Appears he was with the 32nd Division pre war then with the Engineers in the Med

Thank you all for the input! :thumbsup: I did not think of the Railway connection when I wrote the abbreviation, but it's obvious now. It was found here in Wisconsin.

-Johannes

20649793 ROBINSON GORDON J

"U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 about Gordon J Robinson

Name: Gordon J Robinson

Birth Year: 1904

Race: White, Citizen (White)

Nativity State or Country: Wisconsin

State of Residence: Wisconsin

County or City: Columbia

Enlistment Date: 12 Nov 1945

Enlistment State: Wyoming

Enlistment City: Fort Francis E Warren Cheyenne

Branch Code: Infantry

Grade: Staff Sergeant

Grade Code: Staff Sergeant

Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for Hawaiian Department

Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)

Source: National Guard in Federal Service, after 3 months of Discharge"

Since he was at McCoy(Camp McCoy) in 1940.I wonder if you contact Ft.McCoy and see if they have any National Guard record(s) of him.Possiblly they have a Veterans Affairs office or a Museum with records on post.

Bob,

Are you sure about that year? Am I missing something? :think:

Maybe he re-enlisted in 1945, at age 41, since it says 1st Enlistment in 1922. Wow!

That's the way they list it in the NARA records and notice he was a Staff Sgt. when he enlisted. Did NG members maintain NG status when they went on active duty in WWII?

Hard to see, but the utensils are engraved with initials on the handles.

What confused me first is seeing 32nd Infantry associated with Tunisia and Italy, and thinking that they went to the PTO. In reading on Wikipedia though it looks like they initially prepared for the ETO and the 107th went to Fort Dix (as listed on the kit too). Somehow this guy did go to the ETO and wrote a fantastic history of his service.

All comments most welcomed and any research pointers appreciated! Thank you!

-Johannes

The 32nd Division was at Fort Dix and was slated to go to Europe. They were then ordered to take the train to San Fransisco to ship out to the Pacific. The 107th Engeneers had already boarded transport ships and were sailing for Europe when the order came down. That may be what happened to your guy. The 114th Engeneers were formed and Assigned to the 32nd in the Pacific. Once he came home he must have just got back into the National Guard in Wisconsin with the 32nd.

Bob

Looking on Ancestry.com, the closest I could locate was: Gordon J. Robinson B: 27 Dec 1905 D: 16 Jan 1964 Wife's name Mattie ba 1906. Had twin sons William G and John D born about 1926. Looks like William is dead but had 2 sons Jon (no H) and James, both living in WI.

Could not find any mil info on Gordon other than above info already cited.

Here is a good link to wartime record of the 107th Engineers: Http://www.107thengineers.org/History/Comb...WorldWarII.html

Copy and past the link.

They did wind up working on the railroad.

Frank

• 2 months later...

WWI 40th Engineers 'Trench Art' Mess Kit.

Hello,

I managed to pick this great piece up this weekend for a whopping $10. I am so happy with it, but I was wondering if someone could possibly help me ID the individual. There seems to be enough information to get me at least started. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Hello,

The initials appear to say CHC.

I did a little bit more research and found that this unit was formed in very late 1917 at the Camp American University in Washington DC. DC is only a few hours away from here, and this piece came from a local consignment auction. I really appreciate your help. A small tidbit of information can be found HERE

• 3 years later...