WWII AAF WAIT / CAF Tunic

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

This is a uniform that took me years to figure out what exactly it was. It is a blue gaberdine tunic with gold colored civilian early buttons. On the sleeve is a machine sewn on twill CAF / WAIT patch.

One day on Ebay I was searching misc items and came across this unit history. It is for the US Army Air Forces Air Service Command Civilian Training Program, Women's Aircraft Instrument Technicians, Chicago School Of Aircraft Instruments Class 13-W. It is a thin book, and it looks like this class only had nine members. This one was for the clas that graduated on May 15, 1943.

What they did was learn to fine tune and fix aircraft instruments, and then were sent to bases to do this tech work.

Shortly after I found the history, I was at a show and found the Chicago School of Aircarft Instruments, Inc., that is also shown in the book.

wait1.JPG

wait2.JPG

wait3.JPG

wait4.JPG

• 1 year later...
buffalowoman
This is a uniform that took me years to figure out what exactly it was. It is a blue gaberdine tunic with gold colored civilian early buttons. On the sleeve is a machine sewn on twill CAF / WAIT patch.

One day on Ebay I was searching misc items and came across this unit history. It is for the US Army Air Forces Air Service Command Civilian Training Program, Women's Aircraft Instrument Technicians, Chicago School Of Aircraft Instruments Class 13-W. It is a thin book, and it looks like this class only had nine members. This one was for the clas that graduated on May 15, 1943.

What they did was learn to fine tune and fix aircraft instruments, and then were sent to bases to do this tech work.

Shortly after I found the history, I was at a show and found the Chicago School of Aircarft Instruments, Inc., that is also shown in the book.

post-492-1251833737.jpg

post-492-1251833749.jpg

post-492-1251833757.jpg

post-492-1251833764.jpg

Hi, came to this while researching my Mom's service as a WAIT. Yours was the first research I have found. I am wondering if you would share more photos from the book. Mom says she and 2 others graduated and were then stationed at Kelly Field in San Antonio TX. I have 1 photo from that time period. She was in Corpus Cristi for Christmas. Photo of her and another woman in uniform. I have located one of the others from her class, am awaiting reply. Hoping to work together. Thanks, Linda

• 11 years later...
WorldWarPatches

Thanks Steve. That was a lot of reading but out of the 100 or so abbreviations I did not see a CAF anywhere. Also these students did not fly. There was no Chicago Air Field. I wonder if the booklet in post #1 has the answer. I have found where both WAIT and Chicago School Of Aircraft Instruments patches have sold for big $$ at least 4 times in the last 10 years but not one says what the CAF is.