Best Way To Store Edged Weapons?

AirMechanic

What is the best way to store edged weapons? I have boxes full of knives and no room to display them. Is there a certain way they should be stored? Should they be stored in the sheath if they have one? Should I store them with some kind of dessicant?

I don't collect knives, so I have no direct experience, but a friend who does wipes them down with Break-Free and stores them in ammo cans with dessicant. He leaves them in the scabbards, but I'd never store my swords in their scabbards.

I don't collect knives, so I have no direct experience, but a friend who does wipes them down with Break-Free and stores them in ammo cans with dessicant. He leaves them in the scabbards, but I'd never store my swords in their scabbards.

i keep my knives in a KENNEDY machinists tool box. genneraly not in the sheath. a little rem-oil. and it LOCKS !!!

They are best stored at my place.....PM me for shipping info....

^best answer ever! Got a chuckle out of me...

As long as you are willing to oil them fairly regularly, just a Tupperware or ammo can would do the job...The key is to not forget they're there....

For storage longer than a year I use a blue layout fluid called DYKEM. It is relatively inexpensive and the plastic container it comes in, has a brush fastened to the underside of the lid.

It dries in seconds and seals the steel completely. You can handle it anytime you want with no precautions. If you want to remove it, Denatured alcohol on a cloth removed every trace in seconds.

I discovered this by accident. I was working on a milling project and had coated the freshly machined, top surface of a piece of low carbon steel. The project was abandoned so I put the piece on a scrap shelf and forgot about it. Years later I found it and remove the layout fluid and it was as clean and shiny as when I first coated it.

The bottom and sides had an oxidation patina on them. But not so much as a freckle on the top. Good stuff.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/281531/D...ue_Layout_Fluid