4th Armor Uniform Grouping

Brig

here's a grouping I've had tucked away, that I stumbled upon while repacking my items for awhile (back to base, collection back in tubs :( ) Interesting thing is, some insignia is pinback, some clutchback

belonged to a man named Maxwell, Bronze Star Winner, tan jacket is for the 4th Armor. Never seen this jacket before. what was it for? WWII vet, as noted by the Ruptured DUck Patch

the strange thing is his blue dress uniform. I've never seen that type of uniform before. no shoulder patch, has trousers with suspenders with yellow stripes. very unusual to me think.gif

and what's this DI for? sorry, I know nothing about Army items, I'm a Marine collector

got this group at a flea market a couple years back for 10 bucks, so figured I couldn't fail, being a bronze star recipient and all. which, other than his PUC, is the only award he has, which also strikes me as odd...especially if he was a WWII vet, with no victory medal

basically, I know nothing about anything here, so any info whatsoever would be great

Tan.jpg

DI.jpg

The tan uniform is a pre war uniform that isn't seen that often. I have one that a 78th division vet had made into an ike jacket. I think you made out extremely well for $10.00. From the placement of his BS It looks like maybe a row of ribbons belong below it & was removed. The dress blues look like they are more recent issue than WWII judging by the PFC patches that look like they are merrowed edge. I would be willing to bet that the dress blues is a set he purchased later on to wear to reunions & parades ect. Nice Find

yeah, I think the blues are new, as well. they have a nametag and no ruptured duck patch. was it standard for the Army to wear these? I've never seen them

yeah, I think the blues are new, as well. they have a nametag and no ruptured duck patch. was it standard for the Army to wear these? I've never seen them

Within a couple of years or so the US Army will be replacing the current dress green uniform with this blue one.

$10 was a great deal!

Kurt

The DUI is of the 51st Armored Infantry Battalion.

Very nice grouping.

You have any more information on this person?

Erwin

Brig,

Are the DUI's on the tan jacket clutchback or have a makers mark? They look newer than WWII. I would be willing to bet that this vet put his uniform back together many years later, using some of his original insignia and some replacement insignia. The tan jacket is missing the lower 3 place ribbon bar (probably Good Conduct, EAME and WWII Victory?) and more than likely a Combat Infantry Badge. The Army made everyone who had been awarded a CIB in WWII eligable for a Bronze Star a few years ofter the war.

While this is probably not a "as worn during the war" set, its is still a great group from a vet who was obviously very proud of his service and a steal for $10.

Vance

yeah, actually, the tan jacket hs clutchback DIs, and the dress uniform has pinback DIs. I was thinking the same thing, maybe he put all the insignia on later after a dry cleaning or something

all CIBs eligible for Bronze Stars? wow. I guess that's where the Army's love of handing them out all began

Yup, every soldier who was awarded a CIB in WWII was eligable to get a Bronze Star in 1947. I think you had to put in for it though, so since the vast majority of soldiers had been discharged by this time, so I don't they actually awarded nearly as many as they could have. They never extended the policy to any onther conflict.

all CIBs eligible for Bronze Stars? wow. I guess that's where the Army's love of handing them out all began