LCI (L) 498 Marked M1 Helmet

Theorywolf

Theorywolf

Hi Collectors,

Saw the seller put this helmet up first as a "Lt. Col." pot. Someone informed him of its true nature. I went out on a limb with jsut pics, but I had a good feeling about it. When I got it the other day I was happy as soon as I saw it! Pics do not bring out the markings as they look in hand. The helmet patina, markings, etc. are all even and, what I call, organic. All is as it should be (for you seasoned collectors!) I have two still pictures of the LCI 498 and, also, close up video footage from one of my D-Day videos, with troops aboard!

The LCI 498 landed troops of the Big Red One at Easy Red Beach in the early afternoon on D-Day. At first, I did not have a clue about the "30" painted on top, not until I did some research and found some enlightening information. There were 4 assault groups at Omaha Beach: 1-0,2-0,3-0,4-0. The "O" stands for "Force Omaha". The LCI 498 was with the assigned LCIs of the 3rd assault group of Force "O", thus 30, in my opinion, refers to the 3rd assault group. Interestingly, the black mark to the front is not paint, but a small piece of, what looks like, burlap cloth with either tar or grease under and over it! Not a clue on what it come from. The liner displays exact match with wear to the inside shell and the liner chinstrap shares patina that is built up around the chinstrap pole in the liner. The green buckle on the strap has rust. The white paint is oxidized and displays rust from rusting of the contact between paint and cork. The real deal!

post-576-1178923669.jpg

post-576-1178923736.jpg

post-576-1178923761.jpg

Theorywolf

Just a few more pics for you. I think the helmet was lightly used and was taken off ship when the LCI 498 was leased to the British in Nov. 1944.

Mike

post-576-1178924269.jpg

post-576-1178924292.jpg

Theorywolf

A bit of further information: the LCI 498, in the May 1944 assault plan, was scheduled to land elements of the 1st Bat., 18th Reg. of the 1st Infantry division and part of the HQ company of the 18th Reg., at Easy Red Beach at H+210, along with LCI's 494, 496, 488, 490.

Mike

Your luck NEVER seems to stop, KILLER helmet!! And the footage of the boat also, what a score! I just love these D-day navy helmets...talk about a group of men whose jobs were forgotten by many. Just as much hero's as the men who took the beach, as far as I am concerned.

Congrats mike!

Hi! I just can say your helmet is a fantastic and rare piece of History. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Yannick thumbsup.gif

Theorywolf

Thanks Yannick,

I just read from the history of the Big Red One, that the group of LCIs that the 498 was with came in to land at Easy Red abreast of each other in the early afternoon. There was still heavy German Artillery and sniper fire on the Beach. These LCIs brought in the 1st Battalion of the 18th Regiment and HQ Company. One of the HQ company soldiers earned the Medal of Honor on D-Day!

Mike

Theorywolf

Thanks Cesar,

Your opinion on such an item is always sought after by me and others! I will post pics and stories soon. One of the four is still undetermined, but very possible. I will post them soon. Thanks Friend! One other point of interest here, and one that Cesar has stressed to all of us collectors, always make comparisons with other like helmets for patina, etc. On the back of this helmet. near the top, there is a small amount of this redish/orange paint that I also find on my US Coast Guard rescue cutter m1, which has been fully ID'ed to the D-Day vet. Both have this residue, most likely from scrubbing when set upside down. The primer paint on LCi's and the cutters both had this redish/orange color, which I've seen in photos. I thank Cesar for pointing these minute details out for me. When it comes to collecting, don't overlook anything and always look for everything that can be a clue! Thanks Cesar!

Mike

• 11 years later...
stealthytyler

I am pleased to share with you a photo of a gun crew aboard LCI(L)498. Look at the helmet he is wearing. You can clearly see the same type of stencil. You can also see 498 on the ship behind the sailors. With this photograph, there is no doubt your helmet is legit!

post-131595-0-08121100-1533343811_thumb.jpg

What I fantastic find!!! This is a very old thread and for a member to dig like you did, I do not know what to say but YOU are a member and person with whom I would share a foxhole. GREAT JOB!!!

Marty

stealthytyler

Thanks guys. By the way, I just noticed that the guy wearing the helmet appears to be wearing a plaid collar shirt with an m41 jacket. Am I seeing things?

Thanks guys. By the way, I just noticed that the guy wearing the helmet appears to be wearing a plaid collar shirt with an m41 jacket. Am I seeing things?

Yes, you see things ... but good things ;)

He is indeed wearing a civilian shirt, no doubt about that ... an interesting detail not often seen on US sailors.

E

Tyler, Nice research/photo. To bring full circle, the helmet originally the topic of discussion here and one of its shipmates...

post-3673-0-08880000-1533494914_thumb.jpg

Tyler, Nice research/photo. To bring full circle, the helmet originally the topic of discussion here and one of its shipmates...

Awesome!

stealthytyler

Wow thats incredible that you have two of those. So rare. Congrats! Looks like you have some other amazing helmets too...