Patch help please????

Brian Dentino

Brian Dentino

I am not really sure what this patch is for. I know that it is WWII era (greenback) but am not sure that I have ever seen it in any US patch guides I have browsed before. Is it rare? Common? Any value at all or just a made up patch? I am totally unsure of what to think about this item. It came with some other US WWII divisonal patches I purchased and was hoping that someone could fill me in on this one. Many thanks to all in advance for the help.

post-291-1178914854.jpg

post-291-1178914887.jpg

craig_pickrall

It is titled the FILIPINO BATTALIONS and was activated as part of the 1ST FILIPINO REGIMENT early in WW2. Little historical info exists but it is know they fought on Samar and were part of the Philippines Liberation.

Originally authorized for the Filipino Battalions, once the 1st Philipino Infantry Bn was formed and expanded (and a second bn formed) the patch was authorized for the 1st Filipino Infantry Regt. There was an outstanding article on the unit, titled "The First Filipino Infantry (1942-46) in the Jul-Sept 2000 Trading Post, published by ASMIC. The author is Bob Capistrano. Back issues are available.

The volcano is Mount Mayon, on Luzon. The three stars on the volcanic cloud represent the three major regions (island groups) in the Philippines.

Three stars on patches for units in the SWPTO usually refer to Filipino Army units.

Brian Dentino

Thanks guys for the information. So, is this a rare patch??? I have absolutely no idea as to how common these patches are. Thanks.

Brian

Brian,

Here are a few more US made variations of the patch. Your green back version would be a nice example to have in any collection and I'm happy to see that it exists in that configuration. Nice find!

Gary

post-84-1178930773.jpg

post-84-1178930786.jpg