1945 Dated Entrenching Tool w/ Pick??

AirMechanic

I just recently came across a WWII 1945 entrenching tool which has a folding pick as well. I know the later issue etnrenching tools had the pick, but did WWII issue shovels have these as well, or was this added later on?

I just recently came across a WWII 1945 entrenching tool which has a folding pick as well. I know the later issue etnrenching tools had the pick, but did WWII issue shovels have these as well, or was this added later on?

Yes, they were introduced in 1943. Did it have a cover? I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a shovel and cover. My surplus store has a whole pile of WWII dated folding shovel covers for $1 each.

Click this for more info.

The shovel/pick combination was designed in 1945 but did not get into any real production before the war ended. Many were later modified to add the pick assembly so earlier dates can be found with the pick.

I live about 2 miles from the Ames plant where most WW2 shovels were made, and have one of the 1945 semi-production models that was "liberated" from the plant by a neighbor who worked there. No way to tell it from the later modifications that I can see. The company went out of business due to foreign competition a few years ago after being in business for 200 years (under a number of names).

Captainofthe7th

That's a good find...I've seen very very few 1943 model shovels with a pick...the M1952 was introduced during Korea, this also had a pick but also a more rounded spade. Many Korea vets i speak to vividly recall having a pick on their shovel, and most were over there before 1952. My grandfather remembered the pick on his, and how it was no good in the winter, so he threw it out. The only winter he spent in Korea was lat 51 into 52, before the M1952 shovel was introduced.

If you ever want to part with it, let me know. I've been looking for one.

rob