Help, what is it? - Mystery USMC Aviation?

usmcraidergirl

usmcraidergirl

Hey, guys. Seeing that several of us love Marine stuff, I was curious if anyone knew what the significance for this patch was. I've never seen one like it before. It is in my friend's collection and he isn't sure what unit or group it may have represented.

Any ideas?

New_Zealand_Emb_on_Wool.jpg

Hey, guys. Seeing that several of us love Marine stuff, I was curious if anyone knew what the significance for this patch was. I've never seen one like it before. It is in my friend's collection and he isn't sure what unit or group it may have represented.

Any ideas?

1st Marine Air Corps - here's one for the 1st Marine Air Corps Barrage Balloon Squadron:

1stmacbb.jpg

I found that here: http://www.skylighters.org/barrageballoons/index.html

craig_pickrall

While I agree with Bob that it is aviation I also think it is an unauthorized patch. It does not shown on the USMC patch charts as an authorized shoulder blaze.

While I agree with Bob that it is aviation I also think it is an unauthorized patch. It does not shown on the USMC patch charts as an authorized shoulder blaze.

Okay, so I found a site that shows a lot of similar patches with different centers.For instance they call this one 1st Division Raiders:

1mardiv_raider_insig.jpg

They have several others, but nothing with the pilot's wings: http://www.bluejacket.com/usmc_force_insig.html

and then 23rd Marine Regiment has this:

23Mar.gif

Greg Robinson

the Marine Air Wings had a totally different patch. I own a set of Marine Greens from the 1st MAW in WW2.

• 1 month later...
Garth Thompson

Any ideas?

post-3-1162280373.jpg

There was a Marine Aviator several years ago that created his own patches by hand sewing them. He never intended them to fool anyone as patches were not a very desirable collectible then. He created odd USMC patches just to amuse himself and he was very accomplished with a needle and thread. This may be some of his work. It is definately not an official authorized patch. A good friend of mine is a retired Gunny that knew him. I'll see if I can get some more information.

Garth

Can you show the reverse?

I've never seen one like that, not in all the books or research I've done....almost looks like an 'aviator' private purchase patch to me. Def. not one of the Marine Air wings, though.